2015 Roughhouse rear shock

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KooK

2015 Roughhouse rear shock

Post by KooK »

I have looked to find a reference number or something that i can associate the rear shock with what others sell it as. what is the part number cross reference number, size. whatever I need to look up a replacement for the rear shock, as I think this will be the first true upgrade. my big butt at 225 pounds is just a bit much for the stock shock. don't really want a lower shock that scooterworks has so I will expand my search, but there in lies my problems.

so if you have any advice to what I am looking for, please and thank you

Eric B
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I wonder if the RH50 Titanium Shock would be acceptable?
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Its definitely stiffer and should be the same length. Ive got one of the old Rattler 110s and it has that same shock. Still fills good when Im riding with a passenger, so think that should work just fine for you. But yes, it really is a GREAT handling upgrade for these scooters. You'll really be able to feel the difference in the curves!
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Its definitely stiffer and should be the same length. Ive got one of the old Rattler 110s and it has that same shock. Still fills good when Im riding with a passenger, so think that should work just fine for you. But yes, it really is a GREAT handling upgrade for these scooters. You'll really be able to feel the difference in the curves!
COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

This is almost funny. The original post and others that followed talked of wanting a stiffer shock, and I think the factory one on my 2014 model is TOO STIFF!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
KooK

Post by KooK »

but i weigh 225# and i am basically riding on a fully compressed rear shock, and i am sure, just like cars, stock suspension parts are very sub-par. and although i ride on some decent roads to work, i live in New Orleans, and the roads here can kill you if you dont pay attention( the ground is still shifting) and slabs will appear in the streets.
COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

Just out of mere curiosity KooK, how many miles do you have on yours?
And was it adjustable for preload?
(The factory one on my 2014 is so was just curious as to
if there was any change in part# between 2014 & 2015)
KooK

Post by KooK »

It is brand new, 116 miles on it as of now. I gave it a quick glance, and it did not look adjustable, I could be wrong, shocks are not my forté. I did not remove it to look. How would one adjust the shock I were able to?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I find a lot of scooter riders refer to stiffer as "good". Ive got an NCY shock on my b125 and its harsh. Its more predictable mid corner but still is inaccurate handling do the rear suspension not maintaining its geometry. This is caused by the rubber isolated single sided swing arm. The R50 rides great by comparison.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

Not sure on yours KooK, but on my 2014 model the bottom of the shock body where the spring comes to an end, you will see what looks like "steps" (for the lack of a better term) and there will be a small pipe looking tube coming out of the shock at the bottom. You can use a large set of pliers or as I done with mine I stuck a Philips head screwdriver into the little pipe coming out of the shock to change the firmness. Turn Counter Clockwise to make it stiffer if it is not already on the max setting.
KooK

Post by KooK »

thanks Coyote, i thought those steps were welded to the pipe. didn't look like they could rotate, i will break out the strap wrench tomorrow and see what i can do!
COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

If for some reason yours is on it's lowest (softest) setting, you are fixing to be in for a surprise.
:)
KooK

Post by KooK »

Nope, I checked, it on the highest setting, gotta look for a better shock.
COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

Well drat's! Was hoping you could have saved some money there. LOL
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
KooK

Post by KooK »

thanks TET, I was looking at that specific shock, but then i looked around, found out the rear is 11" bolt to bolt, or 280mm. there are some cheap cheepies out there, and was wondering if anyone has heard of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAA ... uctDetails

I know you get what you pay for, and i doubt .5 inches will cause any problems. what do you say? or are there other cheapies you might recommend? if i do buy a cheapie, I am sure down the road I will buy another, probably the YSS, but hey, living and learning is part of the fun...
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

COYOTE102076 wrote:This is almost funny. The original post and others that followed talked of wanting a stiffer shock, and I think the factory one on my 2014 model is TOO STIFF!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ecco that! I weigh 220, and my 2009 RH50 rear shock is way too stiff for me. And I have it on the softest setting.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The '15 rear shock is adjustable. The stiff setting rides like a rock with me on it (265lbs). You just have to turn the bottom of it, there is a tab that fits into a ridge, you want it in the lowest (closest to ground) setting.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

So my Titanium Edition is supposed to have an adjustable rear shock but I can't figure out how. The owner's manual that came with mine doesn't seem to cover the Titanium Edition specifically, and the spring preload looks like it needs special wrenches that were not included.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This is a high quality, low-cost option. Slightly longer than stock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-rea ... 4d32fc99fe

The way you stiffen an adjustable shock is to compress the spring.

I've owned a R50, Buddy 125 and Buddy 170i. I found the R50 rear shock to be the best of them all.
tbswope

Post by tbswope »

After reading this I had to go look at my shock. I have 3 "steps" or settings and was in the middle. I used a screwdriver in the tube to turn counter clockwise and am now on the lightest setting. At 225 pounds this is way better with bumps than before. I don't think the op is bottoming out I think his spring is set to firm and isn't compressing.
Boar

Post by Boar »

The stock RH50 (non titanium) suspension assembly uses a progressive/two-stage spring. This is determined by the tighter coil spacing at one end and wider coil spacing towards the other end.

How this affects the RH50's handling and comfort characteristics?
Progressive (variable rate springs): These springs are sometimes called variable Rate springs. The purpose of non-linear springs is to provide more compliance in the suspension over rough surfaces. These springs are designed with low initial spring rates but rapidly increase as the spring is compressed. The theory is that this allows the vehicle to travel smoothly over bumps and road imperfections but still be tight enough to provide good handling and prevent the chassis from bottoming out. Because of this, these springs are popular in aftermarket lowering springs and coilover system intended for use on public roads.

Variable rate springs are easy to spot because the springs are not symmetrical. Typically, one end of the spring is wound tighter than the other end with the more tightly wound end being the softer part of the spring. As the spring is compressed, the soft coils on the tightly wound side will collapse, coming into contact with each other.
The downside to Progressive Springs?
There is a big downside with progressive springs – and that is that they are hard to damper effectively. A linear spring will always have a consistent rate which is easy to match to a damper, but a progressive or dual-rate spring will most likely go out of the effective damping range as it crosses into higher or lower rates.
OP: It is safe to assume the stock spring/shock assembly isn't high end. The dampening has been set from the factory to be comfortable in the average travel area of the spring, and not at its more compressed state. Since you are leaning towards the upper-end of the weight limit of the scooter, you are keeping the suspension constantly in its "harsher" more compressed state. A linear replacement (280mm bolt to bolt) solution with a more appropriately sized shock should help your situation. I find that http://scootertuning.ca/en/ has great selection... hope that helps.