My first issue

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KooK

My first issue

Post by KooK »

I was coming home from work last night and about a mile from home, my scooter just halved power! It still ran, but would not go above 20-25 mph. So limped it home and went to bed(it was four in the morning) woke up, called my shop and asked if I needed to worry. Apparently if your fuel is low it can do this they said. Ok, filled it up, ran better. Changed the spark plug, had little less than 1600 miles on it. Looked ok, was a bit fouled that could have been cleaned and reused. But new one went in. Started right up. Will take it to work tonight and hope that was it. Interesting note, I haven't had to change a spark plug in over 12 years, and on the rough house. You need to use the supplied tool, a spark plug socket will not work. And the gap tool has two sides to it! Lol. Use the smaller of the two measures!
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Glad to hear it was back up and running so easily. Everything still running smoothly?
KooK

Post by KooK »

yeah. seems to run better than ever now. the plug was really fouled where there was almost no gap at all.

I filled it up and put exactly 1 gallon it it. i have put more in before so maybe the combo of low fuel and bad spark plug was enough to put it over the top and run poor.? I'll just have to keep an eye on it. and I will start to check my plugs every 1000 miles or just change them every 1500 miles. I haven't decided.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Try using some Star Tron fuel additive in your gas tank. I had a problem last summer one night on the way into work with the engine suddenly bogging down. At first I was worried it was going to seize but then figured it may have had something to do with going down a medium sized hill and then going up another hill right away on half a tank of gas. . . like maybe it got a vapor lock or something. Where I park at work a lot of condensation forms on the scoot by the time I get out at midnight so I figured that perhaps some water was collecting on the exposed areas of the fuel tank and then getting absorbed into the fuel supply once I started moving along and things got sloshed around. The Star Tron fuel additive helps remove water from ethanol and has enzymes in it to help prevent clogged carb jets and passageways. I added more than enough to treat a gallon and I've had no problems ever since. . .didn't even bother to check the plug yet. I figured I'd just put a new one in for 2016 and pick up a new right front directional signal while I was at it (although the Gorilla Tape has been doing a great job holding the old one on). I usually always treat my fuel with Star Tron anyways because I fill up a 2 gallon gas can to top off the scooter now and then. I got lax with it for a while last summer and won't do that again. During the winter it's a must though for sure to prevent icing. Get the Star Tron. One regular sized bottle treats almost 40 gallons. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil in my Jeep to keep the carbon from building up and the lube system clean. Add it to the gas and oil. I just don't use it in the scooter or 2-strokes. :helmet:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just checking, you do run a motorcycle or scooter premix, right? Avoid the cheap crap premix. it DOES gum things up.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I don't run any "pre-mix" in my motorcycles (4-stroke) or the Roughhouse (2-stroke) per se. I do add Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel tank on my motorcycles but not in the crankcase because it may effect the clutch. My Jeep gets Marvel Mystery Oil added to the gas tank and crankcase. It removes carbon and sludge. I use Star Tron fuel additive for my Roughhouse gas tank and will use it all year long. I generally use the Star Tron in my Jeep and motorcycle gas tanks during the winter months. The logic is that the phasing of moisture and other ethanol problems are addressed during the cold months best by the Star Tron.