Stella Auto valve adjustment

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scottramsam

Stella Auto valve adjustment

Post by scottramsam »

I would like to know if the Stella Auto has a cam shaft gear with an indicator line and a hole in it to line up top dead center. I saw this in the techno section for the Buddies, or do I have to remove the battery, battery tray and possibly the dip stick housing to get to the fly wheel to line up the timing mark. I am also assuming that I can rotate the engine using the kick start lever to position the engine to check valve clearance?
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Hope this will help ....

topic19383.html
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Here's a link for the LML Star 125 Automatic manual, found on the LMLOCGB site:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/er5w4h6k95lhh ... IC_125.pdf

You don't need a Dropbox account, just click the "no thanks" link at the bottom of the popup. Page 27 has the info you seek.

Eric or a mod, maybe we can put this with the manuals? I know that the cover says LML, but the contents are hardly disingenuous. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Careful, the valve cover is an issue with the Auto. It comes from the factory caked in silicone sealant in an attempt to keep it from leaking. There has already been a blown engine due to the valve cover leaking enough of the oil out. You may want to let your dealer adjust the valves to release yourself of liability if you're still under warranty.
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

Well I decided to go ahead and check my valves before winter hits. I learned a few things in the process that I will share with fellow stellauto owners. The first thing is you do need to remove the battery and just take the bolts out of the tray , then you can hold the tray out of the way to remove the flywheel cover. You do not have to remove the dip stick housing , you can get the fly wheel cover off by rotating it counter clockwise about a quarter of a turn and then finagle it out with out removing any wiring. Then you can easily rotate the engine by hand using the fan. The timing mark is up underneath the edge of the fan like as shone in the Star manual. You should also be prepared with some rtv gasket maker and a new valve cover gasket. Avescoot was spot on when he said that the cover is coated in silicon sealant and I can see why. The head has a nice flat machined surface but my valve cover has only about 50 percent of its mating surface machined flat, so sealant was in order to help seal the gasket. At this point I checked the gap and it was spot on so in the end it was a good learning experience for me in the future. I will admit at a glance this job looks very intimidating but it was not that complicated to do on a warm fall day. Downloading the Star 125 manual has proved to be a very valuable tool to have.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

You should also be prepared with some rtv gasket maker and a new valve cover gasket. Avescoot was spot on when he said that the cover is coated in silicon sealant and I can see why. The head has a nice flat machined surface but my valve cover has only about 50 percent of its mating surface machined flat, so sealant was in order to help seal the gasket.
Doesn't say much for LML quality control. RTV is horrible to have to use on a surface associated with oil flow because if little "noodles" & sealant bits break off they can clog an oil-way. It's OK to use on something like a carb, or a transmission where oil is present- but has no feed/ return flow. But no way is it desirable to use on a surface associated with engine oil. It's not a minor deal and should be a recall issue.