Saddle bags

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

luckyscroller788

Saddle bags

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Does anyone on here have these saddlebags http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/27 ... saddlebags or a set they would recommend for use either on my roughhouse, or my wifes buddy? I know they aren't very large, but the price is reasonable for a 'not everyday use' item for me. Thanks
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The only thing I know about them is we use that brands (Scooter Logic) drink holders-the ones with the snap and velcro system. We have 6 of them, 2 have split at the seam blow-out style, and the other 4 are still going strong. Also note that the material left scratch marks in the paint of the wifes Spyder, so if those bags are not backed with something really soft they will leave scratches.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

They do not lock so, I do not see the $50 value.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

ScooterDave wrote:They do not lock so, I do not see the $50 value.
I guess everything is relative. Comparing non-locking saddle bags on the same web site, $50 looks good :D I've always felt that if I used a non-locking bag, I would take it with me when I got off my scoot.

I can't speak for the quality. Size depends on intended use.

I have a GIVI set (saddle bags and top bag) similar to these.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/56 ... saddlebags

I purchased them 3 years ago and have used them once 😳 Quality construction, and the rain covers are a nice option.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
george54

Post by george54 »

I bought these for my MP3 but I sold the scooter. They are still in the plastic in the original box. Never been used. $139 at Scooterworks, I'll sell them for $100 shipped free to lower 48.

http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-trave ... -12565.php#
luckyscroller788

Thanks for the replies. I cant justify the price of the Givi bags, as they will be for occasional use. I am considering the Prima bags, and I sent you a PM George.
luckyscroller788

Thanks for the replies. I cant justify the price of the Givi bags, as they will be for occasional use. I am considering the Prima bags, and I sent you a PM George.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I opted for a tail bag instead of saddle bags and have found it to be much more versatile. It doesn't add to the scoot's width or affect balance. It can hold larger items, and can have things strapped to it.

The not I got is a Givi, but many other companies make them. Might be worth considering.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
tjupille

Post by tjupille »

I have a set of these on my Honda Nighthawk motorcycle. They serve to hold the "routine" stuff (windbreaker, minimal tool kit, baseball cap, chain, lock, etc.). I have a tailbag for larger things (books, computer, etc.) that would go in the pet carrier on the Buddy.

I've had them for about 18 months / 2,000 miles with no problems. They have held up very well; a lot better than the $20 ATV tank saddle bags that I had used before.
BeefSupreme

Re: Saddle bags

Post by BeefSupreme »

luckyscroller788 wrote:Does anyone on here have these saddlebags http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/27 ... saddlebags or a set they would recommend for use either on my roughhouse, or my wifes buddy? I know they aren't very large, but the price is reasonable for a 'not everyday use' item for me. Thanks
I got a set for my GFs Buddy a few years ago and they're still going strong, granted we only attach them every once in a while. They work great, fit the buddy size wise and easily fit a 12 pack of beer and some ice :D They're insulated and lined like collapsable coolers so they're great for camping or hauling cold groceries.

I'd say they're worth $50.
casechopper

Post by casechopper »

I have a set of those on my Kymco Agility 125. I'm able to carry a good bit more when I do a Costco run. I was able to fit a dual pack of 32 oz. deli containers of soup on one side and 2 of the large bags of bananas on the other side.

They help to keep from scraping up the plastics when going through tight spots (pushing through my backyard gate) and would probably protect the scooter a bit if dropped.[/img]