1st time scooter shopping

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tysondav

1st time scooter shopping

Post by tysondav »

Hi guys. I am buying my first scooter. I need some knowledgeable advice if you don't mind. I have 2 dealers in my area. A SYM/Lance dealer and a Genuine dealer. The Lance dealer seems very knowledgeable and helpful. The Genuine dealer has a sales guy there that doesn't seem very knowledgeable.

I am 6' tall and weigh 200 pounds. 40 years old. I am looking for a sportier type moped. I have narrowed my choices down to a Lance Cabo or PCH 150 or a Roughhouse 50. I wanted the RH 50 Sport Titanium addition, but evidently those are out of stock until the new '16s are released sometime in Feb. The out the door prices will be similar on all 3 scooters.

My concerns are:

1. I want the most bang for my buck
2. Good dealer support
3. Reliability
4. Accessories
5. Storage/cargo room

Can you guys give me some pros/cons of each, and well, basically make my mind up for me? :lol: I have done as much research as possible online but can't find a lot of info.

Thanks!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Is the Cabo a 150? Do you have your endorsement? The cabo and the PCH are made by SYM, very good builder. Can you get by doing 45mph on the 50? All 3 are well made scooters. Where I'm at, it costs almost nothing to put a 50 on the road, $5.85 for 3 years. I prefer a 4 stroke. Having the crank sit in oil helps things last longer. I'd ride each of them, figure out what the annual cost is and buy the one you like the best.
Cabo 150 review: http://www.justgottascoot.com/cabo150.htm

PCH 150: http://www.justgottascoot.com/lancepch.htm

RH50: http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Genuin ... e-R50.html
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Go for the larger displacement scoot's.
If you compare the larger Buddy's with the others, go for the Buddy.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

You didn't say what size Cabo. If you are looking at the 50? Go with the RH, the 2 stroke motor will be much faster and just as reliable as long as you use good quality pre mix (buy it from your scooter shop). If considering a 125 or 150 cabo it kind of changes the question. Let us know.

In my family we own both. The quality of the Genuine and the SYM product are both quite good and I wouldn't worry there.

My daughter has a cabo 150 and my son a buddy 125. BOTH have been great bikes and have been problem free.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
tysondav

Post by tysondav »

viney266 wrote:You didn't say what size Cabo. If you are looking at the 50? Go with the RH, the 2 stroke motor will be much faster and just as reliable as long as you use good quality pre mix (buy it from your scooter shop). If considering a 125 or 150 cabo it kind of changes the question. Let us know.

In my family we own both. The quality of the Genuine and the SYM product are both quite good and I wouldn't worry there.

My daughter has a cabo 150 and my son a buddy 125. BOTH have been great bikes and have been problem free.
Sorry, it was the Cabo 150. After doing research over the last week, it looks like that will probably be the way I go. Does it do any good to wait for the '16 model to come out? I can't find any info on those and whether there will be any significant changes.

Thanks for everyone's reply.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The cabo will remain the same for 2016, So no need to wait.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?