OEM style exhaust vs. expansion pipe?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stephen F. Sharkins III

OEM style exhaust vs. expansion pipe?

Post by Stephen F. Sharkins III »

I'm brand new to scootering and this forum and am enjoying riding and tinkering with the used 2009 2T Stella my wife got me for Christmas.

In researching exhaust modifications, am I correct in discerning that there are two types: A black, OEM, under the chassis type vs. a shiny expansion pipe? Is it either or? I'll assume they can't be done together.

I'm not looking to race, go 65mph, or break the bank but am looking for more power uphill and avoid the 3rd to 4th gear blues.

I know this topic is "exhausting" but I appreciate the help!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

The Sito+ for the 2 strokes look so much identical to the stock pipes.
They claim more performance.
I personally prefer a 226 Vintage and re-jet for a sweet easy performance upgrade for stock 2t Stellas.
Or if you can...engine swap with a P-200. Youll do 65 everyday.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

There's an article in Scootering comparing all the stock-looking exhausts available for 2 strokes. There's a half dozen available. The Sito actually got the worst review. They loved the SIP.
I can't find the article on line.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Here
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98 KiB) Viewed 874 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.78 KiB) Viewed 874 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85 KiB) Viewed 874 times
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Sito Plus adds little the the motor. It's essentially a replica of a Vespa T5 pipe that breathes a bit better than stock.

SIP Road is a bolt on and actually has a divergent cone set built into the downpipe. Revs higher and adds a nice bit of midrange pull. Can make a Stella sound a bit like a dirtbike when paired with a Malossi 166 kit.

BGM Big Box is shaped like a stock muffler, with has divergent cones in the downpipe and a better designed internal structure for even more punch. It can affect cornering clearance.

From there on, you've looking at pure expansion chamber pipes. They add power by shaping and timing the pressure waves generated by the exhaust pulses and enhancing the natural supercharging effect that the pressure pulses drive when the exhaust port is closing. These require a bit of knowledge of the theory behind them and an understanding of port timing to best match one to your motor. Fuel mixture will require changes in order to compliment the pipes capability and prevent the engine from running lean or seizing.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^^ As above. He is spot on. The SIP will out pull the Sito+ by just a bit, but both are good easy "bolt-on" pipes.

If you are looking to not break the bank. Do a SIP and a Bald John jetting stack with a P200 air filter. VEry easy, all bolt on and the bike will pick up an amazing amount of power compared to the stock set-up. You WILL love it, I have put this set up on a dozen stellas. Very reliable and the bike runs great.

Beyond that there are crankshafts, big bore kits and expansion chambers to make your Stella even faster, BUT they require $$$$ and lots of good tuning knowledge to get the right combo and can be high maintenance.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Pep Plus 3.0 is da bomb!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:Pep Plus 3.0 is da bomb!
It's a T5 can with divergent cones built into the downpipe. It also costs $270 plus shipping. Gotta pay to play.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:
It's a T5 can with divergent cones built into the downpipe. It also costs $270 plus shipping. Gotta pay to play.
I have way more into this motor than any sane person should!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:
az_slynch wrote:
I have way more into this motor than any sane person should!
Bet when you bought that PEP that it cost more like $335 before shipping. It looked boss, but it would have been wasted on my vanilla 10hp P200. :D

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You know that motor has had a lot of work...I mean A LOT of work! We will see if it pays off in July on the Cannonball. On the way back from Amerivespa we stopped at Mammoth Cave NP. Did a 50 mile loop with some decent hills. Dude...the torque is incredible for climbing. I figure I should be able to cruise 65 to 70 all day...tubeless and front hydraulic disc of course.
www.teamscootertrash.com