Clutch problem 2012 4T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pking7000

Clutch problem 2012 4T

Post by pking7000 »

I tried to warm up the Stella the other day and I couldn't kick her over. The kicker just spun without engaging. I used the electric start and it started right up(clutch frozen engaged). I checked the clutch cable and it was loose. also a lot of play in the hand grip. I tightened the cable up and and barely any movement. It feels like the clutch is frozen.

Should I be able to move the clutch lever (down under at the engine) by hand?(I can't)

Do i need to take the clutch out? Is mine ruined? Thanks all
az_slynch

Re: Clutch problem 2012 4T

Post by az_slynch »

pking7000 wrote:I tried to warm up the Stella the other day and I couldn't kick her over. The kicker just spun without engaging. I used the electric start and it started right up(clutch frozen engaged). I checked the clutch cable and it was loose. also a lot of play in the hand grip. I tightened the cable up and and barely any movement. It feels like the clutch is frozen.

Should I be able to move the clutch lever (down under at the engine) by hand?(I can't)

Do i need to take the clutch out? Is mine ruined? Thanks all
The engine starts with the electric start because it turns the crankshaft via the flywheel. The kickstart turns the crankshaft via the clutch, which it won't start. The kicker slipping reads like the clutch has unloaded, but the lack of lever action may hint at a second issue.

I believe that the snap ring that holds your clutch plates into the basket has sprung. If it has, the clutch has expanded to fill the cavity it runs in. The clutch cover will need to be removed and the innards will need to be carefully collected for evaluation and reassembly. I'd buy a Piaggio P200 snap ring from Scooterworks, ScooterWest or Scooter Mercato; don't replace it with another LML ring.

It's also possible that the failure of the snap ring has broken the actuator arm. That's the little comma-shaped bit in the clutch cover that turns your cable pull into a pressing force on the clutch. The 4T seems to come with a brittle one; if it broke as well, replace it with Piaggio or DRT one.

With any luck, the rest or the bits are salvageable. Be sure to dismantle it with the bike tilted to the left so no loose parts fall into the engine block. Otherwise, it'll be a much bigger job to fix.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
pking7000

Post by pking7000 »

Thanks, I'll get to it. i will post pics.