POLL: Regular or Premium?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do use put Regular or Premium gas in your Buddy?

I use Regular
75%
I use Premium
25%

Total votes: 114

jmazza

POLL: Regular or Premium?

Post by jmazza »

This isn't meant to be a discussion of whether we need to follow what Genuine/PGO have said and use Premium gas. There's a lot of discussion about it here on the board.

I'm just curious how many of us use regular and how many of us use premium in our Buddy. I know that different stations have different octane ratings for their Regular/Premium, so let's just keep this simple: You use the good stuff or you use the regular stuff.

If you would, after voting, please add a post saying which one you chose- it might be helpful to see that someone who has a ton of miles on their Buddy and has been using Regular is doing just fine, or vice versa.
Last edited by jmazza on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I use premium in my '07 Italia that I've had since December of '07.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I have tried both, and Regular nets me better performance.
ModBud #442
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Also, the wording of the poll "Do USE put Regular or Premium gas in your Buddy" was um, intentional... you know like a mob boss would say it... yeah, that's it!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Almost 4000 miles on an 06 Buddy 125 with either 87 or 89 octane (regular) always; ne'er a ping or hesitation or refusal to start or any other indication it was unhappy with the gas I pump into it.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

premium gives better performance, there's no way around it. In my buddy 50 at least, there is a HUGE difference between the good stuff and the regular. Now with the 125's more power, you are sure to loose the same noticibility in a lack of power/hesitation, but rest assured there is a difference. Now you just have to decide wether the extra cost is worth that (little) increase in performance. I am talking about very little difference that becomes less noticable the larger the motor.
I have the scoots!
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

I only have about 1000 miles on my scoot, but I've always used regular...as that's what the manual calls for...and it runs fantastically. :D
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I use Premium in my buddy 50. Had it since July of 07, almost 3,000 miles. I can't really tell you if there is a difference since I have only used the premium. And with that small of a tank the price really doesn't make that much difference. What's 5 cents anyway. :)
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

poop colored buddy wrote:premium gives better performance, there's no way around it...rest assured there is a difference
That's a pretty definitive statement saying it's better performance. Would you provide us with some background info?

edit: just read the OP, he doesn't want the discussion to get into "better or worse", so I withdraw my question. :P
Last edited by lobsterman on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

I always use premium (91 octane in CA). I Dont know if it makes a difference but I can afford the extra 20 cents a week so its not a big deal. I also always use gas from a top tier company like mobil or chevron and try to use stations that have separate hoses so I dont get a hose full of 87 with every fill. I know it probably doesnt matter one bit, but my scooters my baby. :wink:
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

I was going on my favorite ride this sunday, 2-lane hiway with plenty of curves (cal. 192 ) .I stoped at a Mobil station and decided to use premium. A fter a short time a very noticeable difference was felt in performance. I will use premium from now on because of the difference it makes.
rajron

Post by rajron »

We have low compression motors - use low octane gas.
There will be no difference between gases on our motors other than spending more money.
Last edited by rajron on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I just used REG cuz I didn't think it would really make a difference.
It seems to work fine so far, but after reading 5 bud7's testimony,
I may try premium @ my next fill-up
(which will only be my second fill-up ever :wha: ).

*Isn't it bad to switch back & forth tho?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

lobsterman wrote:
poop colored buddy wrote:premium gives better performance, there's no way around it...rest assured there is a difference
That's a pretty definitive statement saying it's better performance. Would you provide us with some background info?

edit: just read the OP, he doesn't want the discussion to get into "better or worse", so I withdraw my question. :P
Well it's not that I specifically don't want discussion, I'm just more interested in the poll results. Talk of regular or premium has been done a lot here and I didn't want anyone rolling their eyes at me for bringing it up again!!!
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Im going to use Premium, Iv had a lot of problems with our other vehicles acting weird when we get bad fuel, and regular unleaded seems to be the culprit. THe check engine light comes on, and it runs like its on its last leg, then we run a tank of Premium or Medium grade gas through it and its all better. I think it depends on the gas station too, it seems 7/11's gas is really crappy, and circle K's too, but Mobil is pretty good, and so is QT. Does anyone have a favorite gas station that has made them happy/satisfied? Who has bad gas(fuel) and should be avoided?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I use the cheapest regular I can find in my Buddy as well as 4 of the 6 cars I currently drive. Always have, always will.

I use the cheapest high octane I can find in my two Porsches as they require it. They really like 92 but here in California we're stuck with 91 unless you pay a really premium price at a few very specialized locations.

I've been using the cheapest stuff since 1955 and have never had a problem. I still drive the 1949 MG TC that I used for my initial license exam. You buy anything else you are just throwing your money away
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Octane threads are almost as potent as helmet threads! A few things to consider. A higher octane actually supresses detonation to reduce pinging or knocking by reducing auto detonation.. It also tends to make a four stroke run hotter which is not the best thing for an air cooled engine...especially in South Florida! "Increased" performance is pretty much a placebo effect "I paid more so it must run better"

Two strokes are a different story. Performance depends more on the composition of the gasoline than the octane rating. I tend to use BP in my two strokes because of the high benzene content. It has to do with the "scavaging" that takes place in a two stroke.

Have fun with this thread all

Oh yeah...I run regular!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
poop colored buddy

I can only speak from the point of view from a 50cc 2 stroke. There is NO placebo effect, premium runs better. About 5 mph more with better gas, and faster response with the throttle. I have run both, and cheaper gas with lower octane runs worse. It just does. Also, as mentioned above, some gas stations have better stuff. Like I said, in my 150 I can't tell ANY difference at all, but in the 50cc, there is a noticable change in the way the scoots runs. If it were a placebo effect I would be preaching that it effects all scooters, I can tell you that when I look at my speedo, and I am going 5 mph slower on the same road as yesterday with no wind, and the only variable is the gas; and then you notice this to be true on more than one occasion, it leads me to believe that there is a difference.
I have the scoots!
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Buddy 125cc = Regular.
Vespa GT200 = Premium.

Why? 'Cause that's waht the manufacteurs specs call for. And they both seem to work better that way, AFAIK... (So why get anal?) :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

poop colored buddy wrote:I can only speak from the point of view from a 50cc 2 stroke. There is NO placebo effect, premium runs better. About 5 mph more with better gas, and faster response with the throttle. I have run both, and cheaper gas with lower octane runs worse. It just does. Also, as mentioned above, some gas stations have better stuff. Like I said, in my 150 I can't tell ANY difference at all, but in the 50cc, there is a noticable change in the way the scoots runs. If it were a placebo effect I would be preaching that it effects all scooters, I can tell you that when I look at my speedo, and I am going 5 mph slower on the same road as yesterday with no wind, and the only variable is the gas; and then you notice this to be true on more than one occasion, it leads me to believe that there is a difference.

Ummm yeah....I think thats why I said 2 strokes are a different story.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ncsteve

premium or regular

Post by ncsteve »

Well, since you asked. . . I run regular grade in everything I own.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i truly believe that the regular gas is better for your motorcycle (and car unless it call for the rich stuff) and that's after talking to many bigrig, car and motorcycle mechanics and many people in the business of processing oil; especially in the small motor of the buddy
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Using low compression gas (regular) in a scooter that has a low compression engine (buddy 125/150) is fine and works well.

Using higher compression (premium grade) gas wont give you any more power in your scooter, it can only handle so much, and using better gas isnt going to "force" the bike to put out more.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Thanks for the great link illnoise! I have an audiophile friend that'll get a kick out of this. Of course, I'm a bit of an audio geek myself but could never stomach going whole-hog for cables. And, of course, Monsters are only the tip of the iceberg. They're cheap and incredibly common compared to some of the other rare earth zero oxygen cables out there.

As for gas, my Ducati 2 valve calls for premium but runs great on mid grade. The Buddy seems to run fine on mid grad as well, which is 87 here at altitude. I'll probably experiment with regular when the weather warms up and I start running through tankfuls more quickly. I do rely on certain brands because I've had bad experiences with a few brands and some no-name gas stations. So, here in Colorado, I tend to look for Conoco, Phillips and Shell and have had no problems with those brands.

Someone can probably refute this, but a friend in the business told me last year that premium name brand gas has more additives than comparable regular and that this gas will last longer in your tank without breaking down. I have no way to prove this but I've been using premium during the cold winter months ever since and have never had an issue with bad or stale gas.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

3000+ miles and only ever used regular. no probs at all.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I use premium because that's what my lawn mower needs and I fill it and the Buddys from the same cans.
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I use 87. My dealer said that 87 seems to work better in the 2 stroke engines. I just filled up today and plan on getting to use the scooter everyday. I am very interested to calculate my mileage. I filled the whole tank for $3.70
Steven
Touting the benefit of the Buddy 50cc one post at a time
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

... this could go on for some time ... :roll:

I'm really just replying so I can un-click the little part that says "notify me when
a reply is posted" cuz I'm getting like 10 emails a day from this thread!

I see that both have their benefits, but I guess I'm
sticking with good ol' REGGY! ~That's how I roll. :P
5 bud7

premium or regular

Post by 5 bud7 »

There are many posters who claim they only used regular and there scooter runs fine. What are they comparing this too? The only real way is to spend the 20 cents aand find out.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

OK as a result of this poll I put a tank of regular in. I am aware that the manual calls for regular but my dealer said premium. Like I said in the OP, there's always a lot of back and forth on the gas thing in threads like these but it seems most of you are running regular (especially some long-timers which is important in a discussion like this).

I'm especially thankful for your comments about heat, BuddyRaton- I had read about higher octane gas producing nothing but extra heat in a tiny four stroke engine, and as you said that's a big deal down here (even though we've been having GORGEOUS high 70's riding temps the past few days!!!).

So, we'll see how my 125 does with regular 87!

On a side note, I did a little milage calculating tonight and I'm getting an average of 84MPG so far. In almost three months I've spent about $35 on gas (10.786 gallons)!!! I love my scooter.

Oh- and here's a few threads where there has been discussion on this topic (may help avoid rehashing it too much!)

filler up
Grade (Octane) of gas
Last edited by jmazza on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

for me, runs fine translates to always starts first time, no sputtering or missing while idling or when speed increases, responsive off the line, 87mpg.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

If you're running a heavily modifed (de-restricted) motor, chances are your timing has been affected slightly. Stock, low-compression engines only need 87. A modified engine may need higher octane due to the changes you've made.

High levels of benzene runs well in 2 strokes? I learn something new everyday, that's why MB is the best :!:
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I'm with ncsteve - regular in everything (unless it starts to ping).

I do go with Chevron for the Techtron though.

PasadenaSue
poop colored buddy

BuddyRaton wrote:
poop colored buddy wrote:I can only speak from the point of view from a 50cc 2 stroke. There is NO placebo effect, premium runs better. About 5 mph more with better gas, and faster response with the throttle. I have run both, and cheaper gas with lower octane runs worse. It just does. Also, as mentioned above, some gas stations have better stuff. Like I said, in my 150 I can't tell ANY difference at all, but in the 50cc, there is a noticable change in the way the scoots runs. If it were a placebo effect I would be preaching that it effects all scooters, I can tell you that when I look at my speedo, and I am going 5 mph slower on the same road as yesterday with no wind, and the only variable is the gas; and then you notice this to be true on more than one occasion, it leads me to believe that there is a difference.

Ummm yeah....I think thats why I said 2 strokes are a different story.
Hey man I wasn't trying to throw some low blow jab to you. I was just elaborating on my previous statement because of yours. It wasn't meant as a come back.
I have the scoots!
awfulshot

Post by awfulshot »

87 as it says to. I'l try some 91 next time just to see the miniscule power addition.
jmazza wrote:On a side note, I did a little milage calculating tonight and I'm getting an average of 84MPG so far. In almost three months I've spent about $35 on gas (10.786 gallons)!!! I love my scooter.
Haha! glad to see I'm not the only crazy one who keeps log of these things. (I am at $43.94 and 13.487 gallons.)
-Travis
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

awfulshot wrote:87 as it says to. I'l try some 91 next time just to see the miniscule power addition.
jmazza wrote:On a side note, I did a little milage calculating tonight and I'm getting an average of 84MPG so far. In almost three months I've spent about $35 on gas (10.786 gallons)!!! I love my scooter.
Haha! glad to see I'm not the only crazy one who keeps log of these things. (I am at $43.94 and 13.487 gallons.)
Yeah, I actually don't keep a log of the $$ (though I could go through my bank register), just the gallons I put in each fillup, the date, and the odometer reading. Tonight I put it into excel. Not proud of that. In my scoot there's a tiny moleskine that I write it all in.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

How about everyone at least reads the Wikipedia entry on "Octane Rating" and we start this thread over?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

jmazza wrote:Yeah, I actually don't keep a log of the $$ (though I could go through my bank register)
Yeah, you can tell a scooterist by all the $4.72 charges on his/her debit card statement.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:How about everyone at least reads the Wikipedia entry on "Octane Rating" and we start this thread over?

:cry: That's why I wanted to try to stay away from discussion and just get the poll results! Sorry for opening up this can o' high test worms again!!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

GT100 wrote
illnoise wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-de ... oat-hanger

Thanks for the great link illnoise! I have an audiophile friend that'll get a kick out of this. Of course, I'm a bit of an audio geek myself but could never stomach going whole-hog for cables. And, of course, Monsters are only the tip of the iceberg. They're cheap and incredibly common compared to some of the other rare earth zero oxygen cables out there.
Don't waste your money on Branded cables. Go to www.monoprice.com for all your cable needs. I am not associated with them ata all, I just can't tell the difference between a $75 Monster cable and the ones I get there from $4.00.

Oh, and I will use regular.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

EP_scoot wrote:GT100 wrote
illnoise wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-de ... oat-hanger

Don't waste your money on Branded cables. Go to www.monoprice.com for all your cable needs. I am not associated with them ata all, I just can't tell the difference between a $75 Monster cable and the ones I get there from $4.00.

Oh, and I will use regular.
Another great link, thank you!

This thread proves that even well meaning, carefully designed questions can provoke all sorts of unanticipated outcomes. Gas, oil, helmets and break-in strategies are topics that just seem to generate sometimes passionate discourse.

Don't think for a second that I'm bashing the OP or any of the folks who responded because I'm not. In fact, I think we still culled some valuable information from this thread (well, I know I did) and it seems to me that everyone stayed polite. It's just a very interesting group dynamic at work here.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
sunshinen

Re: POLL: Regular or Premium?

Post by sunshinen »

2006, 125cc -- 6000 miles, 87 octane, when I kept track I was actually getting between 95-100 mpg. Before I read POC Phil's lecture on octane, I used premium on the advice of some yahoo who had his ideas on octane all backwards. I think it performed better after switching to regular... but that could be a placebo. :lol:

Personally, I think it's good to talk about this stuff. We just needs to edumacate ourselves about what really is best... For example, in this one thread, one poster says PGO calls for premium, and another regular. What does your manual really recommend for your scooter??

As far as dealers who contradict what the manual calls for:
Expensive Sugar pills work better than cheap ones. And we tend to be happier/more satisfied with purchases that cost more. So your dealer may think that by telling you that your scooter needs "premium" fuel that you are going to be happier/more satisfied with your "premium" machine.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Sunil wrote:but my scooters my baby. :wink:
Which is why these threads get so animated. :)
Sunil wrote:I can afford the extra 20 cents a week so its not a big deal.
For many of us, the decision to use regular is not about cost, but what our understanding of octane and what we think is best for our scooters. http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

sunshinen wrote:For many of us, the decision to use regular is not about cost, but what our understanding of octane and what we think is best for our scooters.
Exactly! Milk is only a little more expensive than premium, why not pamper your Buddy?

Bryan
Keys

Post by Keys »

illnoise wrote:Exactly! Milk is only a little more expensive than premium, why not pamper your Buddy?
Because more octane = more heat and too much heat is the enemy of small displacement 4-stroke engines.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Syd

Post by Syd »

illnoise wrote:
sunshinen wrote:For many of us, the decision to use regular is not about cost, but what our understanding of octane and what we think is best for our scooters.
Exactly! Milk is only a little more expensive than premium, why not pamper your Buddy?

Bryan
The Blur runs on Milk? Is that the new-fangled M85 fuel I've been hearing about?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:
illnoise wrote:How about everyone at least reads the Wikipedia entry on "Octane Rating" and we start this thread over?

:cry: That's why I wanted to try to stay away from discussion and just get the poll results! Sorry for opening up this can o' high test worms again!!
You should know better. A group of scooterists staying out of a debate? Ha!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

poop colored buddy wrote:Hey man I wasn't trying to throw some low blow jab to you. I was just elaborating on my previous statement because of yours. It wasn't meant as a come back.

NP pooper! You might want to try different brands of regular. If you do let us know how it works!
www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

poop colored buddy wrote:Hey man I wasn't trying to throw some low blow jab to you. I was just elaborating on my previous statement because of yours. It wasn't meant as a come back.

NP pooper! You might want to try different brands of regular. If you do let us know how it works!
www.teamscootertrash.com