2009 Stella Question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mouka

2009 Stella Question

Post by mouka »

Hi,

I have found a nice 2009 Stella 150. It has around 5000 miles. The owner is willing to sell it for around $1000.
Are there any issues I should worry about or things I should be looking for?
The bike seems to be in excellent shape if you exclude a few scuffs here and there. Nothing major really.
Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Go for it....If you have the naff :D
mouka

Post by mouka »

Here's something new: The guy has a "rocket" sidecar he is willing to throw in with the scooter. The sidecar is brand spanking new.
He wants $3000 even for everything. He said he will bolt everything and then I can have the whole rig.
How about this? Would you buy an entire rig that is color matched for $3000 even?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That's up to you if you wanna spend the money. Side cars make the handling of the bike different but if you think your up to the learning curve then see what's pop'n....
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I'd do that for 3k however I'd be more concerned about the condition of the Stella. How many miles? Was the crank replaced? Is there a BBK on?
I have friends with a sidecar and they all say that the sidecar slows down the Stella, and the BBK helps it have more "grunt".

That being said, if it was me, I'd go for the sidecar deal.

RT
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Sidecars are fun, it's a different, slower beast. It will put more wear on the scooter, especially the rear tire and engine wear. I don't regret my 2013 purchase at all!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

What color? Some 09's had issues with the oil check valve that allowed oul to pour in and fill the bottom of the motor.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The price with sidecar is a good deal. Whether a sidecar is for you is a different discussion. Some of us love hacks, others find that there are too many compromises to performance and handling.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Where is this bike located and whats the color?
Maybe one of us will be interested if you decide to pass.
I checked Naperville / Chicago craigslist and didnt see it.
Thanks
J H
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

jimmbomb wrote:What color? Some 09's had issues with the oil check valve that allowed oul to pour in and fill the bottom of the motor.
How does the 2T oil get to the bottom of the motor? I could see it filling the crankcase.
My Stella leaks oil into the airbox.
When I took the oil pump apart, I did not see a ball and spring or check valve and found no part number for one.
Where is this check valve?
Thank you.
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.
Saturdave

Post by Saturdave »

Did you buy it?

I'd be inclined to buy that stella for 1000. probably pass on sidecar though. (they are cool, but a lot of the appeal for me is fitting in tight spots and carving up corners) I'd say 5000 miles is a good number. You know its been ridden some and the nuisance items have probably been dealt with... specifically, quirky electrical. If the crank and main bearings have been replaced and it looks pretty good cosmetically, then 1000 buck is a no brainer. If not... it's still probably a good find.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

How does the 2T oil get to the bottom of the motor? I could see it filling the crankcase.
When I took the oil pump apart, I did not see a ball and spring or check valve and found no part number for one.
Thank you.
The oil check valve is part number 61-63 here .....
http://scooterhelp.com/manuals/VNX1T.VS ... age038.jpg
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

fisher1 wrote:
Thank you.
Some have also reported its success with only filling the oil tank about half full. Seems that a full oil tank press too much weight down on the check valve to hold it open.
J H
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

jimmbomb wrote:
fisher1 wrote:
Thank you.
Some have also reported its success with only filling the oil tank about half full. Seems that a full oil tank press too much weight down on the check valve to hold it open.
I haven't checked this forum in a long time. Thank you for pointing out the check valve.
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.