May have gotten too bold with my Stella repair... HELP

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ltmagnotto

May have gotten too bold with my Stella repair... HELP

Post by ltmagnotto »

Hey guys,

My speedo cable broke and I finally decided to do something about it. The problem is that I removed the cable and am unable to get the new one to go through... Is there a trick to this? I've been looking for videos or pictures of how to install and cant find anything.

Thanks guys!

- LT
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Since you already pulled the old cable outer out, it's going to be mighty tricky. See if you can get just the cable inner through, then attach it to the new cable outer and carefully pull it through.

I keep old speedo cables on hand to fish one-piece cables and wiring through when necessary.

For future reference, the correct way to replace an entire cable is to remove the old inner, take a piece of 0.65 weed trimmer line or picture hanging wire the length of both cables, run it through both outers and fasten the end. The new cable outer will slide in while you pull the old one out.
ltmagnotto

Post by ltmagnotto »

Where does it go through? Is it through the same entrance as the brake cable or is there a different area? I was under it trying to find where it pulled through with no luck.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

There should be a hole in the fork above where the brake cable comes through. Try running the inner cable backwards from the bottom to the top. If it goes through, attach the new cable inner and pull it back through the bottom. Then install the inner cable from the top.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

dasscooter wrote: For future reference, the correct way to replace an entire cable is to remove the old inner, take a piece of 0.65 weed trimmer line or picture hanging wire the length of both cables, run it through both outers and fasten the end. The new cable outer will slide in while you pull the old one out.
Another way that I use is:

Pull out the old inner
Slide the new inner up from the bottom inside the outer
Pull out the old outer
Slide the new outer down over the new inner
Pull the new inn out from the bottom and slide it down through the top
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

BuddyRaton wrote:
dasscooter wrote: For future reference, the correct way to replace an entire cable is to remove the old inner, take a piece of 0.65 weed trimmer line or picture hanging wire the length of both cables, run it through both outers and fasten the end. The new cable outer will slide in while you pull the old one out.
Another way that I use is:

Pull out the old inner
Slide the new inner up from the bottom inside the outer
Pull out the old outer
Slide the new outer down over the new inner
Pull the new inn out from the bottom and slide it down through the top
I did that exact thing. A whole country folded after that, but it worked.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.