Stella engine racing after spark plug change

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Stella engine racing after spark plug change

Post by RoaringTodd »

Last week my 2t Stella wouldn't start. She ran perfectly before that. I tested for spark, found none, so changed the spark plug. Gapped to .7 as per the manual. Same kind of spark plug as the previous one.

Now the engine races after riding around the block. I thought the spark plug wasn't in snug enough causing an air leak. Checked that with choke cleaner and removed and reinserted the plug. Engine still raced.

What gives? What in a spark plug change would cause the engine to race?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Pull the airbox lid and filter and make sure everything is closing correctly. Then you can check your jets if that isn't the case. Then go chasing air-leaks
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Update - it was the carburetor. Had my dealer take a look and he cleaned up the carburetor and worked his secret magic. I've never had her run this well before. What I thought was normal "Stella ya know" was not it. It's like a whole new scoot.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Forgot to add - the head was leaking a little bit. He machined the head smooth and put on a new gasket and torqued down everything tight.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Wondering ..... what plug did they install / were you using? The Phila shop put a NGK B6ES in mine many years ago when I had it in for the 500 mi. warranty checkup. That's good for center city, but I'm in the 'burbs where I do a lot more sustained running and it showed up as increased temps on the CHT. So I swapped it out for a cooler B7ES which settled it back down to normal temps. Just FYI.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Yeah it's the B7ES.

However have been having problems with plugs fouling after only a few hours on the plug. We're talking wet black oil covered plugs. :facepalm:

Stellas. Gotta love them.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

RoaringTodd wrote:Yeah it's the B7ES.

However have been having problems with plugs fouling after only a few hours on the plug. We're talking wet black oil covered plugs. :facepalm:

Stellas. Gotta love them.
Still running the autolube? Does she seem to smoke a lot at idle? If so, you might have the pump disassembled and replace the O-rings that go on the pump's valve body. Besides that, your mixture might need to be leaned out a touch with your air leak fixed.

If you're premixing, what's your ratio, what's your jetting and what your mix screw set at?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...