Needs Some Help!!!!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

Needs Some Help!!!!

Post by Drum Pro »

K so I go to start my Stella and it's not starting. I just got it back from the shop a month ago and it was running like a champ. The fly wheel is spinning but it ain't starting. All the cables have just been replaced and seem to be in good order. Stumped again.....
viney266

Post by viney266 »

What year stella? 2T 4T stellauto?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

2012 4T
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

How long did it sit? Fuel stabilizer?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

2 days. I live in a place with year round riding.... Starting to think the Stella is POS knock off....
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

You're just thinking that? :D

:P

Back to the dealer!
az_slynch

Re: Needs Some Help!!!!

Post by az_slynch »

Drum Pro wrote:K so I go to start my Stella and it's not starting. I just got it back from the shop a month ago and it was running like a champ. The fly wheel is spinning but it ain't starting. All the cables have just been replaced and seem to be in good order. Stumped again.....
Let's go over the basics:

1) Fuel on?
2) Fuel tried on Main and Reserve?
2) Choke out?
3) Kill button not stuck in?
4) Is the spark plug cap clipped firmly on top of the plug?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Try disconecting the kill switch. It's under the horncast.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

A wise man once told me if a scooter won't start, always try (after the kill switch) a new spark plug.

1. Have Spark?
2. Fuel Flow?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Did you try kick starting? Does your bike live outside in the elements or in a covered garage, etc?
Loosen your gas cap for a bit.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Drum Pro wrote:2 days. I live in a place with year round riding.... Starting to think the Stella is POS knock off....
I have over 13k miles on my "POS knock off."

Sounds like you have an electrical or fuel issue. I would especially check the kill switch sticking and the fuel tap. I have, more than once, had a non-starting bike because of those two things (because I'm an idiot).
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Stilts wrote:
Drum Pro wrote:2 days. I live in a place with year round riding.... Starting to think the Stella is POS knock off....
I have over 13k miles on my "POS knock off."

Sounds like you have an electrical or fuel issue. I would especially check the kill switch sticking and the fuel tap. I have, more than once, had a non-starting bike because of those two things (because I'm an idiot).
I'm just frustrated. As I just got the bike back a month ago and it's down again...
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Why was it in the shop in the first place?
J H
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

jimmbomb wrote:Why was it in the shop in the first place?
regular service and to replace all the cables ect...
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

In my experience, the spark plug wire has giggled loose. Check that on the right side of the engine.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Start with the basics.

Do you have fuel flow?

Do you have spark at the plug?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

So it's in the shop and hopefully it will get fixed properly. Details when I get more info....
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Im wondering why you had all the cables replaced? Dammnnn.. they we all frayed? But not yet broken?
J H
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

update: So it was the stator. 6800 mi. and a bad stator?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Drum Pro wrote:update: So it was the stator. 6800 mi. and a bad stator?
I've seen a failed one. The exciter coil for the CDI shorted internally. I should have kept it to re-wind that coil.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

A stator is toast once the insulating resin breaks down and the stator shorts to ground. Manufacturing defect is the first failure mechanism that comes to mind. High temperatures also can cause premature failure of the insulation around the windings.

Mileage really only indicates age if you are assuming normal driving. If you ride long hard rides (sustained high RPM) you could get additional heat that causes faster break down. Who knows.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Thanks for that Johnny. It does get hot here in the high desert of Ca. and I have to park up my scoot on the street.....
fpcopo

Post by fpcopo »

Mine wouldn't start either. It turns out the choke cable is about 1/4" too long and choke won't go shut enough to start it. Also it was delivered without a fuel cap gasket which proceeded to allow gas to leak all over the tank and my fuel gauge quit working already. Also the cheap plastic fuel cap is now cracked. Genuines warranty is worthless, I asked for a new fuel sender and they said take it to a dealer which we don't have in this city. This is after 130 miles. The bike is a 2012 4t. I think it is a POS and any other scooter would be higher quality. I bought this because I thought it would be similar to a Vespa in quality. What a mistake!
fpcopo

Post by fpcopo »

Mine wouldn't start either. It turns out the choke cable is about 1/4" too long and choke won't go shut enough to start it. Also it was delivered without a fuel cap gasket which proceeded to allow gas to leak all over the tank and my fuel gauge quit working already. This is after 130 miles. The bike is a 2012 4t. I think it is a POS and any other scooter would be higher quality.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

fpcopo wrote:I bought this because I thought it would be similar to a Vespa in quality. What a mistake!
Where did you acquire that idea? Certainly not be reading this website. A Stella can be a lot of fun IMO, but I think they are best matched up with those who are capable of doing most of their own mechanical work.
fpcopo

Post by fpcopo »

I do all my own work. I just fixed the choke by machining a cycle spoke nipple to fit the end of the choke cable end and cut a slot in it for the cable. This spaced it out enough for the choke to shut completely. The selling dealer had sent me a new gas cap to replace the gasket less original so I replaced the cracked one with tha. Now I have to fix the fuel gauge. Someone posted a while back that the rheostat wiper in the sender gets dirty from something in the gasohol. I thought they said they cleaned it and bent the wiper to increase the tension on it. Am I on the right track? I just don't think you should have to do all this on what is basically a new bike
fpcopo

Post by fpcopo »

I do all my own work. I just fixed the choke by machining a cycle spoke nipple to fit the end of the choke cable end and cut a slot in it for the cable. This spaced it out enough for the choke to shut completely. The selling dealer had sent me a new gas cap to replace the gasket less original so I replaced the cracked one with tha. Now I have to fix the fuel gauge. Someone posted a while back that the rheostat wiper in the sender gets dirty from something in the gasohol. I thought they said they cleaned it and bent the wiper to increase the tension on it. Am I on the right track? I just don't think you should have to do all this on what is basically a new bike
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

The Stella is quirky no doubts, but many of your issues are dealer prep issues that should have been noticed by the place you bought it from and corrected there. Also, all vehicle warranties traditionally go through a dealer where they have to verify that there is a problem and that it is covered.

The fuel gauge however is a POS part and not very accurate. You are on the right track on fixing it, assuming the float needle didn't break.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

My fuel gauge stopped working and I was because the wire was lose in the headset. Was an easy fix.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Bad fuel gauges aren't just an LML thing, Vespas have that problem, too.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

srbbnd wrote:My fuel gauge stopped working and I was because the wire was lose in the headset. Was an easy fix.
Good answer!! Check there, yep
J H