Blur 220i vs Yamaha SMAX 155

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

Blur 220i vs Yamaha SMAX 155

Post by wheelbender6 »

Has anybody ridden the both Blur and SMAX? Wheelbase, curb weight and top speed seem similar. SMAX has a flat floor, wind protection and costs $300 less. I'm a Buddy 125 rider and pondering something faster.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd love to get a SMAX, though I would also keep my Blur. The SMAX, being a Yamaha, should perform very well for it's displacement size. I've read that it has good power and handles very well.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

If this article is to be believed -

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/20 ... urgman-200

Color me impressed with the Yamaha as they say it ran in the high 70's top speed and 84mph downhill. I have never seen high 70's on my Blur.

I would love to try the Yamaha out.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Interesting article, but it was obvious the author doesn't "get" sport scooters. And if it makes anyone feel better, someone commented that the actual GPS speeds of the Yamaha and Suzuki is 71 and 76 mph, respectively. My Blur has hit 70 mph, GPS. It might go faster, but I won't know until I take it on the freeway.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The Burgman sounds like the best of the bunch, but 5 grand is out of range for me. (I will have to buy the wife one, too).
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Of the three, only the fuel injected Blur has an air cooled, two valve head. Sounds like the Blur is as easy to maintain as a Buddy.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I like air-cooled engines until I realize that they give away so much for simplicity. Compression must be kept low to not overheat. Four valves are not going to get you much performance gain because of the above. Believe it or not, water cooled engines are lighter than air cooled. I'm talking about the engine alone here. There's less metal in a jacket and pump than large volumes of air finning. Oil lasts longer due to lower temperatures.
(Note that large Genuine's have oil coolers to help with engine cooling and oil longevity.)
How about a liquid-cooled scoot' Genuine?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:Of the three, only the fuel injected Blur has an air cooled, two valve head. Sounds like the Blur is as easy to maintain as a Buddy.
If you are looking for performance, you are likely to get more out of a liquid cooled engine. And, IMO, liquid cooled engines don't give away much of anything in terms of reliability or actual maintenance needs.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I agree that liquid cooling is more efficient. I fear that the four valve SMAX and Burgman have shim and bucket adjusters, in which case I would need to take it to the shop. If the Blur valve adjusters are like the Buddy's, I can do the adjustment myself.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The Blur engine is something like 90% the same as a Buddy's. Main differences, afaik, is oil cooler port location and transmission length. Gear ratio might be different too.
And fwiw, the next mods I have planned (unless I kill myself before hand), is a 4-valve head, 63mm BB, and a 26mm carb. Curious to see what difference a 4V makes.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Sounds like fun mod's!
ggs34

smax

Post by ggs34 »

so has any one been on a s max will it fit tall people like us 6ft guys and does any one know can you buy a aftermarket no bump seat thanks