New RH50 questions

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HIscooterD

New RH50 questions

Post by HIscooterD »

Been reading the forum, and it's been super helpful already. I'm getting a new RH50 tomorrow and I had a couple questions you guys might be able to answer

1) The dealer said they derestrict them automatically, when I pressed further they said they only derestrict the exhaust. They also said derestricting the variator voids the warranty. This is the exact opposite of what I've been reading here. Should I derestrict the variator on my own?

2) I have plans to change the slider weights and contra spring, for a little bit extra umph. I'm a bigger guy, and I've read that will help with hills. Should I wait to break it in, or change it immediately.

3) Seems like 6 gram weights and 1500 contra spring are the consensus when changing springs. Would a 2000 contra spring be too drastic of a jump?

Looking forward to enjoying my new Roughhouse around town!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Yeah... tell them to call Genuine and tell them they aren't taking out the variator ring. Actually, what is the dealer's name? My tech guy likes to hear about stuff like that so he can intercept before he's dealing with blown engines. It's a giant no-no. The sustained high RPM has caused piston circlips to fly out and destroy the piston and cylinder.

I'd stick with the 1500 contra unless you're building a race bike. They're set up pretty good out the box though. Break it in well and don't cheap out on 2T oil and you'll have many many miles of fun ahead of you.
HIscooterD

Post by HIscooterD »

Thanks for the reply! I was able to convince them to talk to other Genuine dealers and they are now going to remove both restrictors. I plan on breaking in the motor before I make any changes. Definitely not going to cheap out on anything I put in to the motor.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

Awesome to hear you are getting a RH. Had mine since November and loving it. I'm a big guy, 6'1" 250 and it moves me around just fine. Have fun and ride safe.