a few questions

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nmforbes

a few questions

Post by nmforbes »

Morning all,
Picked up my first Stella 4t yesterday and absolutely love it!
Tons of quirks but thats what makes it fun. Couple questions though.

-That turn signal sound, is there any way to disable it?

-Sometimes there is quite a clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd, would that be clutch cable tighten or just a characteristic?

-Ill be changing oil today, viscosity is 20w50?

Thanks guys
quen047

Post by quen047 »

If you are patient, the turn signal beep will just stop working soon enough (mine stopped after about a year/3000 miles).

Welcome to the fold!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

The turn signal buzzer is located behind the horncast, if I recall correctly. Don't remember how to disable it, might be as simple as unplugging it.

The gearbox is pretty clunky, just like vintage Vespas. It's the nature of the design. 1st to 2nd can be extra clunky since there is physically a larger gap between the gears on the stack, that's neutral.

Manual says 20w-40, fill cap says 20w-50. Either will work. You can use motorcycle specific oil, but 15w-40 HDEO, Heavy Duty Engine Oil aka diesel engine oil, works just fine. HDEO is commonly used in the world of other air cooled, shared sump small motorcycles.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

I've gotten used to the turn siginal. It's still not enough sometimes and I leave it on. I've heard of some folks that wrap their's in tape to mute it a bit.

If you're on FB, join the LML Owners of Great Britain group, lots of good advice and info there.

I like AMSOIL myself. I change the oil every 1000 and the filter every 2000.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
phunksoulbrotha

Post by phunksoulbrotha »

I found this thread useful: topic15977.html No more beeping :D
nmforbes

Post by nmforbes »

Thanks for all your input guys!
I changed the oil to a 20w50 motorcycle 4 stroke oil. Seems good now.
I also unplugged the purple wire from the turn signal beeper and that has helped out alot audibly, but I will say I now forget when its on.
I am more than likely going to go plug it back in but use the duct tape method to baffle the sound a bit.

With regards to the hard shifting, I have gotten alot better by letting go of clutch much slower, I do though sometimes have a hard time getting the bike into first after a downshift. It will go but there have been times where it is a little stubborn, not always, just once in a while.

Im from up in Canada and was trying to find some accessories, namely a rear rack for it. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Rob Hodge (Hodgespeed) is right in Seattle. He can order anything from SIP, no shipping charge from Germany, no duties. You could even take a trip to Seattle when he has your stuff in to save on shipping if you have a passport. Great guy, really helpful. Places an order at to SIP at least once a week, about week to reach him. I've ordered parts through him before, arrived faster than ordering straight from SIP and cheaper, too.

Otherwise there is Scooterwest/Motorports Scooter in San Diego and Scooter Mercato in Georgia, both also great shops. Don't know about anything in Canada, I'm afraid.