Front Brake Switch?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JPL

Front Brake Switch?

Post by JPL »

Hey everyone,

I've got a rear brake light that illuminates when the rear brake on my 2012 Stella 4t is engaged but not when the front brake is engaged. I believe I've got a front brake switch problem and am wondering if someone can identify the part number for a new one and where to get it. I've done what I think is a pretty good internet search and found nothing that applies.

I also have a dead battery and kick start the scooter to get going. I don't suppose that has anything to do with it.

Since the initial problems that everyone seemed to have (including electrical) the 2012 has been good to me. Only 6k miles but still getting almost 100 mpg.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The part you're looking for is indentified as C-4721648 in the Scooterlounge parts diagram. The list the part price as $17.49.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Most Genuine dealers keep one of these in stock. They fail from time to time. Call your local dealer and he should have one for you.

Before you replace it. Make sure both wires are making good contact. I have seen the crimp be loose before.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
JPL

Post by JPL »

Hello again,

First of all, thanks for the responses. I ordered the switch and a switch cover from Scooter Lounge as recommended. Before I installed the new one, I did check to see if the problem was just a loose connection. At first it seemed like that might be it, but the brake light wouldn't illuminate consistently no matter how I adjusted the switch. So, I installed the new switch and all is well. I'm glad I ordered the cover, as I destroyed the dried out old one during the disassembly process.

All in all it was a very easy process.

Thanks again-
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Just did mine last week in preparation for a long group ride. It's been intermittently working - but didn't want it to go bad and have no brake light when stopping in a large group. Easiest electronic repair job I've had on any two wheels.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Now mine might be different from yours, but I think it could be similar for those who may know.
I have a 81 PX 200 with the same issue. I pulled the headset and pulled the two wires from the front brake switch, and touched those two wires together.
The brake light still will not go on. So what I am asking is if I take the 2 wires from the switch and touch them together with the key on and the motor not running, should the brake light come on?
The rear brake light comes on but not the front. Do you think I need a new Switch? Or does it sound like wiring issue somewhere else? Thank you
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

jimmbomb wrote:Now mine might be different from yours, but I think it could be similar for those who may know.
I have a 81 PX 200 with the same issue. I pulled the headset and pulled the two wires from the front brake switch, and touched those two wires together.
The brake light still will not go on. So what I am asking is if I take the 2 wires from the switch and touch them together with the key on and the motor not running, should the brake light come on?
The rear brake light comes on but not the front. Do you think I need a new Switch? Or does it sound like wiring issue somewhere else? Thank you

That will be a wiring concern......by touching the wires together you are just doing what the switch does internally.

Use a test light to determine if current is reaching one of the two wires to the switch....it should be live anytime the key is on.

If it is not, that is the color wire you will be chasing.....BTW...use the probe to 'stab' the wire(s) below the connector.....this could be as simple as wires broken under the insulation at the connector.

Rob
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Thank you, Rob
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics