RAM mount "X-grip"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

RAM mount "X-grip"

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Anyone have experience with this set up? I have an Otterbox defender case for my iPhone, and I want to mount it on the ball valve mount. I'm using the device for GPS and time lapse photo shooting, so I need to access the camera eye. That is the only drawback of the aqua box not being feasible. Another consideration is I won't have the windshield installed and it needs to be horizontal but upright, which will increase wind resistance. I also like how it doesn't restrict access to the charger port, since I'll need to leave it plugged in for most of the trip.

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kUh08JQNFv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
BootScootin'FireFighter

Anyway... I ordered the components on a whim this afternoon. Once they come in and get a test run, I'll post some pictures and give a little narrative review. Looks like another fine product, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I have a Ram Mount for my GPS. I love it to death, and it works very well. I have no experience or familiarity with this item, but I tust their products. Let us know how it works out.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

What mount did you get for it?
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BootScootin'FireFighter

agrogod wrote:What mount did you get for it?
If that Q was to me, I got the little ball joint thingy that goes on like a washer under the mirror stem, and comes out at a 45 degree angle, then I'll attach the short (size A) arm thingy. RAM-B-272U and RAM-B-201U-A were the part numbers
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have the same basic mount ball and arm, but I have the 'dedicated' Garmin GPS holder up top, which holds the unit very nicely. Let us know how that X-grip doodad works - it seems like a good idea for folks who own more than one variably-shaped device.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BootScootin'FireFighter

here it is...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k60Qn5pv6N8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Only takes a second to remove when you take a piss break, or run into 7-11.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Good going on the video!

I already have most of the mounting stuff so maybe I'll try this out. Makes much more sense than a dedicated case/mount for a single device.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

Hey BootScootin'! What's the final verdict on the X mount after the Cannonball? How did it hold up?
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Yeah I'm wondering the samething.
What are your impressions on it after all this time? Did anything slip out?
Very tempted to grab one for my bike.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I saw it and it looked pretty great. On my wish list.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Just saw your video. Very nice. Maybe I'll get one! :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

You all know I am cheap so when I got rid of the plastic food container I got this instead. It can charge some cell phones also off the regular batteries. Fits either of my GPS units
http://www.amazon.com/ME-MM-WPCS-B-Moto ... 81&sr=8-12
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

That looks like a good inexpensive GPS option - a little less 'massive' than the RAM system, but less $$ as well, plus some battery power for your USB devices.

I think the X-mount that BSFF used was more appropriate for him, as he was using his phone's camera to create the timelapse videos, and a typical mount would block the lens.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BootScootin'FireFighter

It held up beautifully. I couldn't be any more satisfied with the dependability and holding power of the little prongs. I can't remember any parts of the trip where I was worried about it failing. If I could redo it, I would order the next size longer bracket. I had a hard time lining up the camera angle and not have the mirror stem in the corner. But that's a minor detail on my part. I also went with a Griffin 12v charger that has 2 USB ports. With that I was able to keep the iPhone on a constant power supply, as well as charge either the iPod or amplifier as needed.

For the upcoming Dogwood Classic rally, I might move the mount to the back or somewhere on the sides and get a different perspective.
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

I think I'll go for it and order one! Thanks for the excellent video review and info!
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

Just wanted to bump this. I just got a new buddy and want to attempt this setup but can't tell what it looks like cause the video doesn't exist anymore.

Anybody have pics/videos of this setup?? Thanks!!
Jonny D

Post by Jonny D »

Ive had an x grip on my p for over a year. I loved it!! Its great for bluetooth helmet applications like music and phone. Cant go wrong with the X grip product!!
Jonny D!
I fix what I can, I cant fix stupid.
www.SportiqueScooters.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mine wore out after a couple of years of abuse. The weak point is the rubber nubs. They've gotten too loose. If I can replace them, great. I love the grip.

I recently got the newer RAM universal grip and it's a bit disappointing. Too many adjustments, blocks too many phone buttons and ports on my iPhone 6. Not as versatile. I may actually replace it with another X-grip after a while.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I ride with one on my Ducati and I kind of like it. The grip is great. The only downside is that it turns clockwise when I have my phone in it.
MATPOC

Post by MATPOC »

I have been using the X-Grip for couple years (15,000+ miles) seems with age the grip is not as tight as it used to be, lost the phone few times over the bumps, luckily bright orange case makes it easier to find.
Also anything thicker than 1/2" (like my GPS) doesn't want to stay attached, luckily they make GPS specific cradles.

Recently switched to this type (link below) it's adjustable for different size phones and the spring loaded claw makes it impossible for the phone to escape/ My new Galaxy S5 is waterproof so I no longer have to carry zip-lock bags (poor mans waterproof case) but the larger phone size is really at the limit of the mount's size range, but still fits even with protective case on

Anyway, that's my 2¢, most of the miles are on paved roads with occasional dirt road or rocky trail.

*EDIT because of the side "fingers" I am using the mount upside down so I have access to volume and power buttons on the side

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-hol- ... AmXA8P8HAQ

scooterdance

Post by scooterdance »

hi guys, another bump. I’m considering the x grip but I understand from another thread -- topic27197.html -- that the mirror mounts aren’t an exact fit for the 3/8” stem? I see people are having success though, so I want to be sure -- which mirror mount exactly is being used successfully? depending on the thread i’m seeing both the 9mm -- http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-272U -- and the 11mm -- http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-252U -- quoted. wouldn’t 9mm be too small for 3/8”? also, is it possible to add this mount to a mirror stem where there is already a windscreen installed? i’ve had so many issues keeping my mirrors anchored in place (i’m just praying that the thread lock holds) i’m super wary of messing with them even to adjust. :(

on a related note, i saw eric mention the possibility of a windscreen mount on this thread:
topic20789.html
are there compatible parts in the ram lineup for rigging such a setup? has anyone followed through on this idea?

gah, i knew i would need both the mount and the cradle, but i’m just now realizing i would also have to get an arm apparently?? jeez, these guys really came up with a lucrative business model. :?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I don't know the sizes but I have a mount with a U bolt around the mirror stem. My mirror stem on the Honda Elite is square, but it works just as well. I also have the arm and the X mount. Works very well for my iphone 5s. Not so much for the 6s because the "X" arm hits the volume button on the phone itself.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I just got this one a couple weeks ago and it fits well. It is the 9mm size you linked in your post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201565096868

Billy
scooterdance

Post by scooterdance »

RoaringTodd wrote:I don't know the sizes but I have a mount with a U bolt around the mirror stem. My mirror stem on the Honda Elite is square, but it works just as well. I also have the arm and the X mount. Works very well for my iphone 5s. Not so much for the 6s because the “X" arm hits the volume button on the phone itself.
thanks for the replies!

u bolt! that sounds promising, like maybe i wouldn’t have to dismantle the existing mirror setup to install it? :D would that be this product?:
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-QU1U
i’m finally noticing that there is a wide array of product combinations with arms included to confuse me. (apparently depending on whether the arm is bundled with the base or with the cradle you pay a difference of $3?)
anyway... the product here says compatible for rails as small as 1/2” and i understand the buddy mirror stem is 3/8”. :? does anyone know if i should i be concerned about that?

all that to say the volume button interference on the iPhone 6 would be an issue as i’m likely to upgrade from the 5 soon myself. well crap. :( no way to reposition it a tad and avoid that? do you have a case on your 6?
scooterdance

Post by scooterdance »

oh hey, just found this product:
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-408-37-62U
offers the same benefit of clamping onto the mirror stem without having to dismantle anything, compatible with the x grip.
Diggerdan

X-Ram mount

Post by Diggerdan »

Scooterdance, thanks for posting your solution. The link saved me a lot of time searching for a solution.