4t Stella sticky handgrips

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

monkeykat wrote: Milliganal, I can't wait to see pics of your scooter--it seems it'll be super accoutred!
Thanks monkeykat, it will be tastefully done since I really like to classic look of the Stella scooters. I do like items to match though so I've enlisted the help of my wife to sew some items that I think may make it unique to me. I'll post photos as soon as I can get it all pulled together.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Witch

Re: Another One....

Post by Witch »

Lovelandstella wrote:genuine has got to hear about this soon from the dealers. all the 4t's out in the sun being looked at are going to get the very same issue and be much harder to sell.
Yeah, we sent in a warranty claim about it the other day... guess we can forget about hearing back on it. Those grips are so disgusting, and we've definately had customers point it out.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Witch wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:genuine has got to hear about this soon from the dealers. all the 4t's out in the sun being looked at are going to get the very same issue and be much harder to sell.
Yeah, we sent in a warranty claim about it the other day... guess we can forget about hearing back on it. Those grips are so disgusting, and we've definately had customers point it out.
well, maybe. I guess I was hoping that a Dealer's own warranty claim on several scooters all with the very same problem in so small a time frame since uncrating, might carry a bit more weight.
but lets talk worst case scenario. they say "no."
well I'll tell you what, if genuine doesn't replace them in warranty and you guys decide to order and sell replacement ones that wont gum up and gross out after 3 months, order an extra pair and send me a PM and I'll scoot on down and buy a new pair from ya and probably pay you for the install (instead of trying it myself) - it'd be a full day trip down there from northern colorado - but I'm happy to give you the business.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Lovelandstella wrote:but lets talk worst case scenario. they say "no."
The Vespa PX ones that I put on my Stella are only $12.
And I much prefer them.

I guess this is only a big deal if you need to have ones that looks exactly like the stock grips. Which IMO are ugly.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Pro Grip #714..Nice, vintage looking and comfy..They are on mine!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

I just ordered a set of these.

".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Mulliganal wrote:I just ordered a set of these.

Those look like they would get really hot in the sun - better wear gloves!
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

desmolicious wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:but lets talk worst case scenario. they say "no."
The Vespa PX ones that I put on my Stella are only $12.
And I much prefer them.

I guess this is only a big deal if you need to have ones that looks exactly like the stock grips. Which IMO are ugly.
that's fair. I actually prefer the brown over the black. do yours come in brown?
~Lovelandstella
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

I keep looking, but cannot seem to figure out- What is the diameter of a Stella's grips?
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

xTomBx wrote:I keep looking, but cannot seem to figure out- What is the diameter of a Stella's grips?
It is just a bit larger than this: http://www.scooterworks.com/Grip-Left-T ... 9C545.aspx get 2 of the "left"- as the right ones have weird wired stuff on them.
I think these were the same ones that Silver streak used
Silver Streak wrote:Here is a pic showing the two sun-damaged Stella grips I removed on the left, and one of the new tan Vespa P grips on the right. ... Image
...You can see that the Vespa grip on the right has the slightly smaller bore size for the throttle side that I mentioned in my previous post.
I bought 2 of them and they were a tight fit, ie they shouldn't have fit unless I slicked them up and manhandled them on.
So I used some hairspray and acted fast and sweat a bit and grunted and got them on and then the hairspray dried and now acts like glue to keep them on.
Because the diameter is off- the grips themselves now have a larger diameter then the old grips. So large in fact that that my cramp buster doesn't come close to fitting. And they are slightly more of a handful then they used to be.
I can get a pic if you all want.

But I am glad I did it every single day- WAY better than the dead frog grips.
~Lovelandstella
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

xTomBx wrote:I keep looking, but cannot seem to figure out- What is the diameter of a Stella's grips?
Pretty sure they're 24mm.

I put black PX grips on mine. Like 'em.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Memorial day left me with time on my hands to search for replacement handgrips for the 4T:

https://www.scooterworks.com/Grips-Stel ... P5675.aspx

Note: there is a 'brown' option.

Not yet attempted to use rubbing alcohol on my sticky grips. Alcohol seems to de-sticky the black rubber tacky stuff on so many computer laptops, keyboards, car stereo knobs. Multiple wiping sessions with rubbing alcohol solved the electronics/computer parts rubber paint sticky problem, but if anyone tries this on the Stella grips, please report back.
Image Image