buddy 50 sat for 6 years... not starting duh (running now)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Meis

buddy 50 sat for 6 years... not starting duh (running now)

Post by Meis »

Well like the title says, I have a buddy 50 that sat for about 6 years. The scoot currently has about 900 miles on it (yes nine hundred) and I recovered it from my mother in laws storage. She cannot use it anymore and it was given to me. I put the majority of those miles on it when it was new and it drove like a champ. Obviously after being neglected and sitting for that long period of time, it will not start. I only started trying to get this working last week and sofar I have done the following;

-Totally disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the carb and all associated components (this was the worst carb I had ever seen... I spent 3 hours getting it all clean...)
-drained, removed and cleaned fuel tank
-removed and cleaned fuel petcock
-removed and cleaned fuel filter
-removed and cleaned fuel lines and vacuum return line
-cleaned air filter

I have not replaced the battery and it is totally kaput. I am also considering tossing in a new universal in line fuel filter and possibly fuel petcock.

The scoot will Kickstart and then die. It will only start if I spray some go go juice in the carb with the airbox open. I can keep it going by spraying a little more into the carb every few seconds but it is still clearly not getting fuel from the tank based off these characteristics.

I am wondering if the totally dead battery is affecting the auto choke or ignition somehow. I am unaware to the specifics of the electrical systems on these things.

Also when I took the carb apart I failed to not position of the auto choke and as such I am worried it may be oriented in an incorrect position thus further complicating my futile efforts.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated, I am looking forward to getting this little guy back on the road!
Last edited by Meis on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Get a new battery and then see what happens. Is the gas tank rusted?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Meis

Post by Meis »

No rust but it was a little gummy. All clean now. I also tossed in a new spark plug just to be safe. It was only $2.50 but I failed to snag a fuel filter while I was at the store....

Will the battery affect it's ability to maintain idle or is it a totally seperate system just for the lights and starter?
az_slynch

Re: buddy 50 sat for 6 years... not starting duh

Post by az_slynch »

Meis wrote: The scoot will Kickstart and then die. It will only start if I spray some go go juice in the carb with the airbox open. I can keep it going by spraying a little more into the carb every few seconds but it is still clearly not getting fuel from the tank based off these characteristics.

I am wondering if the totally dead battery is affecting the auto choke or ignition somehow. I am unaware to the specifics of the electrical systems on these things.

Also when I took the carb apart I failed to not position of the auto choke and as such I am worried it may be oriented in an incorrect position thus further complicating my futile efforts.

The kickstart-and-die thing sounds like an issue I had with an auto choke, aka bystarter on a small Honda. The bystarter needle was pinched in the carburetor body, effectively keeping it permanently closed. When you took the bystarter off of the carburetor, did it have a brass sleeve and needle on one end?

With a dead battery, there's little difference in bystarter operation. The enrichment air passage and jet are open when the engine is cold. In order to have the bystarter close the passage, you need to switch on the ignition and give the battery a little while to warm the bystarter and close it off, or start the engine and let the bystarter do it's thing while powered by the stator. The orientation of the bystarter isn't quite critical. Having a decent O-ring on it where it plugs into the carburetor body is likely more important.

For fuel delivery, pull the fuel and vacuum lines off of the carburetor. Put the fuel line in a fuel-proof container and draw on the vacuum line with a MityVac or your own lungs (not recommended if your petcock's vaccuum diaphragm has a leak). You should get a brisk stream of fuel in short order.

If that checks out OK, reconnect the fuel line to the carb, then route the carburetor bowl drain tube into your fuel-proof container. Open the fuel drain screw on the carburetor bowl by a turn or two. Draw on the vaccuum line again and see if the fuel flows freely out from the carburetor drain tube.

If that checks out OK, your mixture screw might be way out of whack. When you disassembled the carburetor to clean it, did you just remove the mix screw, or did you gently turn it home and count the number of turns it that it was set before removing it? If no, you can probably turn it in fully and then turn it out 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns and try starting it again.

Bringing them back can be a challenge sometimes, but that first ride after fixing it is always one of the sweetest!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Meis

Post by Meis »

Quick update.

Okay so I plan to get a new battery because this one has been dead for so long.

I decided to test the fuel system just to make sure it was flowing. I removed the vacuum hose from the intake manifold and hooked it up to a source of vacuum (my mouth lol) to see if fuel would flow from the fuel line disconnected from the carb. To my surprise, I got a great flow of fuel once hooked up to vacuum! I suppose this rules out any issues with the fueling before the carburetor.

As it sits now I can let it sit for a few minutes and it'll Kickstart on the 1st or 2nd try. After that it'll run for a few seconds and then die.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I bet it's the battery. Maybe put this one on a tender overnight and see if it holds a charge.
Tender Jr. Can be bought for around 30 bucks at Wal-Mart, etc.

If you don't have a tender, take the battery to someplace like Auto Zone where they can test it and see if it holds a charge or sell you a new one for cheap.

Sometimes it is as simple as that.
Meis

Re: buddy 50 sat for 6 years... not starting duh

Post by Meis »

az_slynch wrote:
If that checks out OK, reconnect the fuel line to the carb, then route the carburetor bowl drain tube into your fuel-proof container. Open the fuel drain screw on the carburetor bowl by a turn or two. Draw on the vaccuum line again and see if the fuel flows freely out from the carburetor drain tube.

Bringing them back can be a challenge sometimes, but that first ride after fixing it is always one of the sweetest!
Well I checked this (thank you so much for the input by the way!) And I got NOTHING out of the drain... I cleaned it all very thoroughly when I had it all apart so what gives?
Meis

Post by Meis »

Just reread that again AZ and I am dumb..... I undid the bowl drain plug by 3 full turns and nothing came out but I could smell gas..... then I realized that I needed to check the tube not the screw...

For some reason I thought fuel would come out of the screw hole. I just tried again and checked the tube and sure enough it is flowing freely through that with the drain opened.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

OK, so we have fuel to the bowl. The cleanliess of the pilot circuit and the setting of the mixture screw are the next candidates.

Check the mix setting as I previously described. If you haven't touched it yet, turn it all the way in, counting the number of turns until it stops. Unscrew it and clean the screw. Make sure you remove the spring and seal if present. Blast the ports withcarb clean or compressed air and check the ports and pilot holes with a bright flashlight. If clear, put the mix screw (spring and o-ring if present) back in and turn it in until it stops. Don't force it! Back the screw out by the number of turns you counted before removing it and your mix will be back where it started.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Meis

Post by Meis »

I got it set just like it was after cleaning and it is still doing the same thing... I'm considering hooking it up to a car battery (with the car off) to see if having any sort of electricity will help the situation.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Have you checked, cleaned, re-gapped or changed the spark plug?

Check the cable connections from the wiring harness to the coil too.

Meis

Post by Meis »

Spark plug was replaced with a new NGK unit. Also, I have verified spark... and shocked myself in the process haha
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Have you tried a compression check on the motor?

Meis

Post by Meis »

I have not tried a compression check yet as I do not have any tooling to facilitate that. However, in the last few days, when I Kickstart it it'll run longer than the time before if I let it sit for a while in between starts. My voltage at the battery fluctuates like crazy when it's running and it'll go down to zero volts and then die. Bear in mind that this is on the old dead battery. The new one supposedly was delivered today but I am on shift at the firestation until 0600 tomorrow...
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Meis wrote:I have not tried a compression check yet as I do not have any tooling to facilitate that. However, in the last few days, when I Kickstart it it'll run longer than the time before if I let it sit for a while in between starts. My voltage at the battery fluctuates like crazy when it's running and it'll go down to zero volts and then die. Bear in mind that this is on the old dead battery. The new one supposedly was delivered today but I am on shift at the firestation until 0600 tomorrow...

Put the new battery in!!!!!
Meis

Post by Meis »

Oh I will as soon as I'm off shift..... typical that it is delivered on my 24 hr shift
Meis

Post by Meis »

Okay so I got the new battery in and installed and it started right up using the electric starter. And then it died a few seconds later just like it has been doing. I'm pretty stumped here. I took the carburetor back out to clean it yet again just to make sure no deposits or gumming plugged up the Jets and it was fine but I cleaned it anayway. I am worried I may have the carburetor adjusted incorrectly... what are the factory settings for the air/fuel mixer and the idle speed? I noticed that the bigger jet inside the carb appears to be adjustable, is this true?

As it sits currently, I have the big jet screwed all the way in as it was when I initially took it apart the first time. The idle speed is also set like it was but I failed to take note of the mixer... so after some research I have it set to 2 full counter clockwise rotations from all the way in.
Meis

Post by Meis »

Thought there may be an issue with the auto choke but I got 4.2 ohms when I put my voltmeter on it. Is there a certain orientation that this must be in on the carb? I noticed the retainer plate has graduated markings on it but I did not see that the choke itself has any markings.

Also, I looked underneath as I was taking the exhaust off to check for restrictions and I saw lots of oil on the crankcase, exhaust, and others. I also notoced oil on the topside of the motor around the oil pump area.The scoot doesn't ever leak off onto the ground so I'm not sure if the motor needs a rebuild or not.... I wish I had a compression tester...
Meis

Post by Meis »

So my reasoning for dropping the exhaust was to see if there was a restriction causing the motor to not flow properly. I was actually expecting oil. When I dropped the exhaust I got a few drops but nothing substantial. I figured that wasn't an issue so I bolted it back up and then started it up to check for leaks knowing full well that the buddy would die in a matter of seconds as it has been doing since I actually got it to start up.

Well.... it didn't die... it idled and idled and idled. After about 5 mins it died and I started it right back up. It didn't die until I manually shut it down about 1.5 hours later. I aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the neighborhood a few times. It smokes white smoke like crazy and it feels like it bogs down starting off from a start but it runs!

Not sure if the excessive smoke or bogging down are issues but only time will tell. It has been sitting for over 6 years without so much as being looked at and now it lives again!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Meis wrote:Not sure if the excessive smoke or bogging down are issues but only time will tell. It has been sitting for over 6 years without so much as being looked at and now it lives again!
I have been told by a scooter mechanic at the scooter repair shop where I worked for about 9-months that 2-stroke scooters that sit for long periods of time usually blow excessive smoke for about 20-miles of use before it settles down. Ride it around the neighborhood for a while and if it doesn't die on you take it for a longer, multi-mile ride.
Meis

Post by Meis »

cummingsjc wrote:
Meis wrote:Not sure if the excessive smoke or bogging down are issues but only time will tell. It has been sitting for over 6 years without so much as being looked at and now it lives again!
I have been told by a scooter mechanic at the scooter repair shop where I worked for about 9-months that 2-stroke scooters that sit for long periods of time usually blow excessive smoke for about 20-miles of use before it settles down. Ride it around the neighborhood for a while and if it doesn't die on you take it for a longer, multi-mile ride.
Thank you for that! I noticed after I rode it again the the smoke was substantially less than when I rode earlier. I took it as my mind playing tricks on me lol

And we are practically neighbors! It's a loooooooong ride on 30 from Huntsville to college station though!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Meis wrote:
cummingsjc wrote:
Thank you for that! I noticed after I rode it again the the smoke was substantially less than when I rode earlier. I took it as my mind playing tricks on me lol

And we are practically neighbors! It's a loooooooong ride on 30 from Huntsville to college station though!
A very long ride on a 50cc scooter, for sure. I just got the Black Cat and Buddy and both are works in progress before I can do some serious riding on them (and I am going to try to sell the Buddy to make a few dollars). My other scooter is a 500cc MP3 so it is the more obvious choice for longer distance riding.
Clydeo

Congrats

Post by Clydeo »

Congratulations on the resurrection of your scoot! It's a great feeling when a "dead" bike roars (ok, purrs in your case) back to life!
Meis

Post by Meis »

Yeah it feels like it's running better than it did before it went into storage! Lots of pep after I readjusted the carb properly. I almost forgot how much fun these things are!
Meis

Post by Meis »

Quick update, the buddy has been running almost flawlessly since revival. I say almost because the front brake master cylinder took a crap (cylinder got stuck inwards but brakes did not engage). I got that changed in a jiffy and bled the system afterwards.... duh

And yesterday I hit a bump going into the driveway at my firestation where I work and it started to die while accellerating... it would idle just fine but if I gave it ANY throttle whatsoever the scoot would bog and die.

Now having the experience and knowledge of the buddy carburetor, I quickly assumed my main jet was partially or fully blocked. I ran some seafoam through to see if it would clear it up but that didn't work. So I pulled the carb and to my surprise there was a rock blocking the main jet. Yes.... a rock, as in a stone off the ground. No freaking clue how that would have gotten in there. I inspected the inside of my tank with a small inspection camera and the tank is clean as a whistle...

Anywho, the scoot is really liking being driven on the regular. After sitting for 6 years, the 10 miles to and 10 miles from work every 3rd day is doing it some good.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Hooray! Glad you got it running!
Meis

Post by Meis »

Whimscootie wrote:Hooray! Glad you got it running!
It is running GREAT! It is now my daily driver and I have put a couple hundred miles on it without a single hiccup.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

The little Met I just got sat for years, neglected. Only 714 miles on her and she is like new. The Honda dealership ''over-hauled'' her before I got her. Scoots, like dogs, need exercise and fresh air and TLC!
Camperdog

Post by Camperdog »

The time honored tradition of doing your own work and doing it right!