First timer, considering the Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jmanchester

First timer, considering the Stella

Post by Jmanchester »

Hello. I'm in my mid 20s and just moved back to Texas from the Bay Area in California. This might come as a shock but I've never had a drivers license but am just now in the process of getting one.
My previous experience with scooters is the Chinese kits you can just put onto bicycle cruisers. They are unreliable and have never had a good experience with them other than learning minor maintenance and repair stuff as is constantly necessary.
I've always been a cyclist so 2 wheels has always appealed to me. I've decided I'm gonna go new this time.
After research, and going into the nearest scooter shop and looking at the models myself, I've decided the genuine brand is what I'm going to go for for price and quality.
There were a lot of buddy's and at first I set my sights on the 170i. However, the Stella is honestly more my style. It would be a 2014 auto I'd be looking into getting. I've read various things on the internet about these.
I'm not sure I'm getting a consensus by any measure on how reliable they are though. It's going to be my main transport. Here's what I've gathered, summed up very briefly:
The Stella is good if you are able to make the minor repairs and maintenance yourself. Which I have no problems doing, the repair shop is kind of far from where I'm at anyway. I also acknowledge that as I'm not a seasoned technician on the brand or model there will be some things I can't do and I can live with that. But I love repairing and learning and dissecting.
So, for someone who can install parts and read Google and a repair manual just as good as anyone else, am I really sinking 4 grand into something that will at least be practical in the sense of reliability?
4-stroke automatic. Though for a few hundred more and in a color I don't really like there's the manual (already know how to operate from Chinese junk engines). But I'm mainly just curious about the Stella auto.
If I treat this cycle good and put in my due research on the repairs, will it be worth it? How many miles until major repairs you can't do with simple garage tools and serious mechanical expertise need to be done? How trusty is the warranty and after it expires, what are the chances I will still be able to get the parts I need? I plan on riding it atleast 14 miles a day 5 days a week for the work commute. I need something I can beat up a little but not be afraid of making a 30 mile trip on the occasional weekend.
Sorry it's such a jumbled post, I have essentially one question with many ways to ask it but way too many ways to answer for my tiny brain to comprehend.
Thanks in advance.
Jmanchester

Post by Jmanchester »

It's honestly a toss up between the Stella and this:

VESPA 2002 150cc $1800
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5624519971.html

Some pros and cons to consider tho: appears to have about 6200 miles on it already, no warranty.
But almost 2000 dollars cheaper, brand name, and looks exactly the same. It's almost as if they are the same scooter.
What are the seasoned pros opinions?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Step away from the Stella Automatic. Your chinese HT bicycle engine kit is going to be more reliable than that thing. It's just the way it is. I had one back in the day and it went further than 2 of the Stella Auto's I had! Also about the Stella Auto... there may come a time in the not so distance future where parts are scarce for this model. $4000 paperweight

If you really want a P-Series style scooter, here's a simple breakdown:

*Stella 4-stroke manual - Pretty decent, not too many issues with these. A little less power but also smoother.

*Stella 2-stroke manual - Quirky, but nothing a below average guy with a wrench and an internet connection can't handle. Most haven't been maintained properly nowadays but doesn't take too much to bring them back up to snuff. Awful electricals, just expect stuff not to work and be okay with it. Doesn't affect it's ability to get down the road, though.

*Vintage Vespa P-Series - If you can find a well taken care of example, this is the ticket if you really want one of these. The wiring is much simpler and you don't have to worry about Indian metallurgy.

Now if this is going to be your main transportation, really take a step back and think about it. If you live close to work and can get there via other means - go for it. If not, get something more modern, like the indestructible Buddy 125. The vintages are great fun and are typically very reliable to a point, but take a bit of care and feeding.. and parts.
Jmanchester

Post by Jmanchester »

What do you think of the buddy 170i?
Jmanchester

Post by Jmanchester »

Also I can totally take the vintage aspect and if the guy who posted the 1800 dollar p series on craigslist still has it I will buy that from him.
About 6000 miles on it but with the amount of money saved I'll have enough for some repairs.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Go with a modern scoot since it's your first. Vintage scoots are cool but they take a lot of TLC and can be quirky little bastards some times. I agree about staying away from the Stella auto. They are suppose to be the worst of the Stella types. I'd shop around for a decent used Vespa. I think there is a Vespa GTS 250 in your area with 8k miles on it.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Jmanchester wrote:What do you think of the buddy 170i?
Not as cool looking but indestructible. Mine has never let me down in the 4 years since I had it.
Jmanchester

Post by Jmanchester »

Just had a chat with the gts250 guy actually, he did reply.
Reading reviews it seems very dependable and good for the price I offered, same for what I was gonna pay for Stella.
Msrp is listed for the gts250 at 6k, I offered 4.
Am I making a much more sound decision here in terms of reliability? (4K was what the Stella was out the door)
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Stella 4 stroke manuals are great scoots. The auto's not so much... Lots of issues with the computer and auto trans... :/

My 2013 Stella 4t manual with sidecar has been great though!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The GTS 250's were the most problematic of the GTS'es (electrical issues), but they are also the most common which makes their problems more widely known. I know of quite a few that are perfect even with some mileage.

One thing to consider is that the maintenance cost of a GTS is easily 3-4X what you're going to pay on something like a Buddy.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Jmanchester wrote:Just had a chat with the gts250 guy actually, he did reply.
Reading reviews it seems very dependable and good for the price I offered, same for what I was gonna pay for Stella.
Msrp is listed for the gts250 at 6k, I offered 4.
Am I making a much more sound decision here in terms of reliability? (4K was what the Stella was out the door)
Yes you are...If you really like the classic look go for a Stella 4T, P200, or a Bajaj chetek....
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Let's take a step back and see what will really fit your needs:

*How many miles do you plan on riding a week?
*Do you need to go over 50mph on a regular basis?
*Will you do a lot of riding in heavy stop and go traffic, or more faster backroads?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If reliability as a daily driver is what you are after, then a Genuine Buddy is a fine choice. The GTS 250 has more capabilities - for more money. I love the heck out of the GTS, but I would not recommend one to a new rider. The repair costs if you damage the metal body are substantial.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Yeah.. its a tough decision for you.
You want that classic look, but also dont want to clutch and shift.
Most people here are saying to stay away from the Stella Autos.
I would look into the warranty if you can stand to buy new.
I doubt if i would buy a used Stella Auto.
You want reliability and not shift, then a buddy 125 or 150 is good, but lacks the style that you want.
But youre saying that you can be handy with screwdrivers and wrenches, thats good.
IMHO... learn to shift AFTER you buy that used P200.
Ive had 1 for 4 years now. Super reliable, never left me stranded and runs like bandit.
Good luck.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

When in doubt go with a Buddy.

If you do go with a Stella Auto you should be able to find dealers selling them for $2500 or less, brand new(I saw one dealer advertising ~$2300.)

Have you seen the new Buddy Kick?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

scootERIK wrote:When in doubt go with a Buddy.

If you do go with a Stella Auto you should be able to find dealers selling them for $2500 or less, brand new(I saw one dealer advertising ~$2300.)

Have you seen the new Buddy Kick?
I dig that Buddy Kick. is it a 49cc or 125, 150??
J H
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

The Buddy Kick is a 125 cc fuel injected 4 valve that puts out around 11 hp.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/kick.html
Desliderman

Post by Desliderman »

Well I gotta throw in my 2 cents for the Stella Auto. It's been good to me to this point. Every day it gets a little better (considering I only have 1100 miles on it). My shop tells me that once I hit 1500 it's like it gains some more CCs.

I would stay away from anything Chinese (tao tao for example). Even the taiwanees bikes sub contracted to mainland China (Agillity 125). I know of a few that have had nothing but problems.

Of course any scoot is only as good as the dealer that services them. We here in Kansas City are blessed with Scooter World. Renos for Vespas isn't half bad either.

Good luck in your search.

Don in KC.
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

I also own a Stella auto and have had over 2800 miles of virtually problem free miles. The only problems I have encountered have been dirt in the carburetor which appeared in the first couple of hundred miles. My dealer cleaned the carb under warranty and said there was some crud in it, I contribute this to running in a new gas tank and probably some oil on parts when new to prevent rust during shipping. I have had to replace the speedo cable and its liner because I was breaking inner speedo cables. I did this job myself and it took under an hour to complete. I do agree that a good shop goes a long way in setting up and prepping any scooter and I have had good service from Metro Scooter in Cincinnati. If I was to purchase a vintage looking scooter again I would still go with the Stella especially with its 2 year warranty.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Im glad to hear the success stories about the Stella Autos.
They all cant be bad,
and if you buy new, and have a competent dealer, then hopefully when your 2 year warranty runs out, it ought to be a roadworthy machine by then.
Goid luck
J H
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Another vote for the Stella Auto. As long as you replace the standard tires and crap battery and keep the fuel system absolutely clean/treated, you stand a fair chance of having a reliable and worry free ride. Mine has just over 1200 miles on it and is my "go-to" scooter for probably 90% of my scooter riding. It's loosening up nicely and will hit an honest GPS 56 MPH. I also replaced the split rims with SIP tubeless rims, so am saving weight and complexity. It's smooth and fun as hell. Whatever you choose, don't let any scooter sit. They hate that.

My first scooter/moped over 50cc was a Kymco Agility 125. Like the Buddy (the old Buddies produced by PGO in Taiwan), you just can't kill an Agility, despite it's mainland origins. The 125 Buddy is the sweet spot in performance and price. Fun as hell to ride.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com