Less than a year old and starting to lag, what's wrong?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

elektrobank

Less than a year old and starting to lag, what's wrong?

Post by elektrobank »

I've had my Roughhouse for less than a year. For the first 6 months or so it was a beast, it accelerated really fast. Recently it started to become very laggy. It can still go fast but it takes a lot longer, and when I first accelerate it just sits there and then starts to move really slowly.

I took it for 2 tune ups already. They didn't find anything wrong but the guy did notice it on my 2nd one that it was laggy, and wants me to bring it back so he can look closer. Anything I can check into on my own before I take it back?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Might be helpful if you told us how many miles are on the scooter.
elektrobank

Post by elektrobank »

DeeDee wrote:Might be helpful if you told us how many miles are on the scooter.
About 1200. Started noticing it at around 800 miles though.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At 1200 that thing should be broken in nicely and screaming like a banshee.

Are you using the same 2 stroke oil you have always used? Not much to do on a tune up. Air filter, spark plug and gear oil. Be sure your tires are inflated to proper pressure.

You have enough miles on it that it is not a problem from lack of use.

That's all I have. 2t experts....? Anyone? Coil? Stator?

You bought it new, and they are checking it under warranty?
R50Rider

Engine Performance Has Slight Pulse Characteristic

Post by R50Rider »

I've got just about 3000 miles on my 2015 Roughhouse and lately I've just started to notice that the engine seems to run a bit less consistent than usual. I was wondering if the sloshing around of fuel in the tank has an effect on the flow through the carburetor. . .especially when at half full or less or if the gas cap may have a venting issue (not aware of any history of problems with these gas caps venting properly). No big deal. It still accelerates fine and runs well at top end but sometimes it seems like it's pulsing. That being said I added a splash (one splash = one half shot glass or less) of Marvel Mystery oil to the gas tank on the last fill up to see if it would help. . .in case there was something causing the flow of fuel to be interrupted. Since it's an oil injected 2-Stroke type engine I figured there would be no harm done and the emissions are the same and the engine performance hasn't deteriorated. I'm going to top off the tank again tomorrow and add another splash of MMO to see if it makes any improvement. I haven't pulled the side cover to check the rollers yet nor have I checked the air filter. I thought I'd do that stuff at the end of the summer. I know there will be some wear on the belt. Anyone else had this experience? BTW I use a lawn more gas can that holds a few gallons and add Star Tron fuel additive to it every time I refill. I use it to top off the Roughhouse instead of futzing at the gas station. I've never had any problem using Star Tron or MMO in my motorcycle gas tanks. The Star Tron is good at preventing ethanol related problems and moisture issues and the MMO is good for decarbonizing if added to gas or cleaning out sludge in 4-stroke engine oil systems.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The RH50 has a vacuum activated fuel tap. Since the tap is higher than the carb, there is no need for a fuel pump. The suction from the running engine moves a diaphragm in the tap and allows fuel to flow. When you shut off the engine, the suctions stops as does the flow of fuel. The fuel level in the tank will make no difference unless you run it empty.
If you suspect a fuel delivery problem, check your vacuum lines and look for a crack. PGO uses quality hoses, so it is unlikely you will find anything.

Maybe you filled up with bad gas at some point and ended up with a tank full of sludge. There is a fine mesh filter at the outlet of the fuel tank. Might of gummed this up. Again, not very likely.

Same for the rollers and belt, PGO uses quality components. At 3,000 miles, even if you ride wide open for most of the time, you should see little wear on the belt and rollers.
Pinkscooter

Post by Pinkscooter »

Elektrobank: Is it the engine that is lagging or the transmission? If it's the engine then maybe a plug or carb clean, possible air filter or vacuum leak. If transmission the belt wear or flat rollers. It might even be possible that the clutch has glazed causing it not to grab as fast.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Good info on the fuel supply circuit. . .thanks!
KooK

Post by KooK »

i think I understand your lagging situation. sometimes, I too feel like it just has a spell of not wanting to really get going. well, I jumped the gun and went ahead and bought a new HOCA variator. I used the stock rollers(i think 8 gms).

as for results, well, there was no real "improvements" so to speak. BUT it is very much more consistent! i think the rollers are a bit too heavy( I have 6.5 gm DR. pulley sliders on order) more to come when I put them in. but the laggyness that sometimes happened seems to be gone. it is very consistent now. no gain in top end, no real noticeable acceleration gains. just steady consistency...

now, the strange thing, I inspected the belt and variator. the belt still looked brand new. the variator looked good, nothing that seemed out of place. I have nothing to compare it to, but it looked like a good piece.
the rollers were still round. i did not see any flat spots or anything that looked like any sort of wear or damage.
My RH has almost 3000 miles. and i weigh 225 lbs.

cant wait till the sliders get here. this should be interesting...
KooK

Post by KooK »

well, after a few weeks of having the Dr Sliders in 6.5 gms, this is some serious stuff!! very nice in response and throttle. I have not had any lag or anything negative when I installed the sliders, the HOCA weights showed signs of markings, with just a few miles on them, maybe 100. the sliders definitely made it a better scooter. no top speed improvements, just accurate throttle response.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

One thing I've seen with new 2T riders is they baby it, even after the initial break-in, and run short trips. This can cause deposits to load up on the spark plug. Had a customer last week who had that exact problem - he does a lot of short trips, not allowing the plug to get up to real operating temperature. His plug was covered in oil, and caused it to cut out.

Run it open. Blow the crap out of the exhaust. The Roughhouse likes it rough - it wants to run.

Check/change your plug, and go from there. If you will be doing only short trips, consider a hotter plug.