center stand removal and replace

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KooK

center stand removal and replace

Post by KooK »

i am asking before i really look into it. I crashed my RH and i bent the center stand. the part is on the way. what is a good way to remove it? I do not have a stand. is there a trick to removing this thing? or is it self explanatory when I get to it.
can i do it while it is on the kick stand? or maybe lay it on the grass on its side?

any help or insight to then i do get to it is appreciated...
cummingsjc

Re: center stand removal and replace

Post by cummingsjc »

KooK wrote:i am asking before i really look into it. I crashed my RH and i bent the center stand. the part is on the way. what is a good way to remove it? I do not have a stand. is there a trick to removing this thing? or is it self explanatory when I get to it.
can i do it while it is on the kick stand? or maybe lay it on the grass on its side?

any help or insight to then i do get to it is appreciated...
Whatever you do, do not lay the bike over on its side. You will probably end up with all kinds of additional issues if you do this with oil and gas getting into places they don't need to be. My recommendation would be to take it over to either FX Motorsports or Avenue Scooters and let them do the work. Otherwise, you will need to find something or someone to keep the bike upright and supported while you work on it. Harbor Freight has locking wheel chocks that will keep a bike upright for an extended period of time, something similar to this: http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle ... 69026.html.
Pinkscooter

Post by Pinkscooter »

Buy a six pack of beer and invite a friend over, have them hold the scooter while you remove the spring, then the cotter pin. Slide the rod that holds the center stand out. put the new stand on then replace the cotter pin. Putting the springs back on will piss you off but the trick is to take a large Philips head screw driver and hook the spring on it, put the end on the pin that holds in and pull the spring so it slides down the screw driver onto the pin. It will take a few tries but the beer will help. Instant new center stand. I took my bent one and straightened it with a sledge hammer, its almost as good as new.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

a couple ratchet straps tied to handle bars and a couple trees is much quieter than a drunk buddy for holding up the scooter while you replace it!
Pinkscooter

Post by Pinkscooter »

And won't laugh at you while you fight with the spring.
KooK

Post by KooK »

Great. Sounds like it's related to the springs in a drum brake setup. Can't wait! Lol. Thanks for the tips though