Breaking Silence - 170 @ 9,300 Miles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MYSCTR

Breaking Silence - 170 @ 9,300 Miles

Post by MYSCTR »

After the Pamp-Jack (our last Buddy, big bore kit added to a 150) riding our new(er) 2014 170 seems to be less of a scooter, yet knowing I was coming off a pepped up scoot, wanted to give the 170 a fair shake and get some miles on it.

We are just past 9,300 miles and have a bit less of a top end compared to other 125/150's we have owned (in the family) since I ride them all at some point. We did get a favorable 72 bmph on a fairly flat stretch of road just the other day yet did have a mild 12-14 tail wind.

Somewhere around 8,700 miles we began having what seemed like a small issue time to time, more often when riding harder, yet when coming to a full stop (like at a red light), it won't idle - it dies. The only way to keep it running is if I hold the idle up a bit which can be hard to hold steady as it wants to rev up or choke out.

We started to notice oil running down over the cvc case and dripping on the garage floor (months ago), so we have been regularly pulling off the air filter cover, having a good teaspoon of oil run out as we did, wipe down the outer and inner side of the air filter box, then reassemble for what was about a weeks worth of great riding.

We first checked the oil level thinking we had overfilled the oil on the last oil change and as it was right at the top of the checked part of the stick we let some out. We have changed oil since then and are about 75-80%% of the stick so that is not an issue.

Just recently is oil seems to be collecting after 1-2 rides and yesterday we pulled it off at work, wiped it down, reinstalled everything to only get home and have oil everywhere again. We pulled it off this morning and it was as if I had not just wiped it 16 miles earlier and it dies at every stop or even if I let off the throttle as I approach a stop.

On a suggestion from a co-worker I pulled the filter outer cover off, still dies, then I pulled the filter off to the side and started it only to have it die almost as quick.

We have two other 2014 170’s that are ridden daily, both well under the miles I have, they ride much ‘softer’ and they are having no problems. It was suggested there has to be a blown seal or something in the engine to be blowing this much oil.

We have spoke to our local shop yet they tell me there is nothing to do on the 170’s other than basic service and ride them. Ever since getting bad gas a few years back in our 150, we have used a tablespoon of Lucas in almost every fill up since the 170 was new and never had a gas problem.

Has anyone come across this and know what do I have to do to correct it?

As far as being less of a scoot, up until this issue, the 170’s biggest enhancement over the older 150’s is they do start up nicely every time. Between 3 2014 Buddy 170’s we have over 17,000 miles and I can’t remember the last time anyone used a trickle charger (never had a battery issue) and they always start right up.

Thanks for any tips or input on what is happening to my engine.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I'll respond in generalities because I don't own a Buddy......but I have serviced hundreds of scoots and mcys.

I reviewed your online owners manual but saw no reference to draining the oil separator accumulation hose.
Every machine I have ever serviced has one......and, if it becomes full of condensed oil, it throws raw oil into the air filter housing.

So, that being said, look for a clear(ish) plastic hose terminating towards the bottom of the engine.
You are looking for a hose that has a plastic plug inserted.
When you locate it (hopefully a Buddy owner will chime in) place a rag on the ground below it and remove the plug.......if it is the same setup as I have found over the years, a surprising amount of oily moisture will drain out......let it drool for an hour or so to fully clear the separator and reinstall the plug.

Other brands instruct this to be drained at every oil change.....I would apply this to your Buddy as well.

Your air filter may be irreverseably soiled with raw oil.....you be the judge.

The throttle body may be oil coated, disrupting airflow at low rpm and causing the stall.
Before I recommend cleaning it, operate the machine with a clean air filter and drained separator for a hundred miles or so.....might straighten out on its own.

Again, I'm hoping another 170i Buddy driver can chime in regarding the drain I mentioned.

Rob
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Your issue is likely oil blow-by at high RPM. Worn piston rings cause some compression to slip past the rings and into the crankcase, pressurizing it. That pressure blows oil out of the breather hose and into the airbox. There's no puke tube on the Buddy's airbox. The only fix to this is honing the cylinder and new rings.

The usual cause to this is not warming up the engine before going barreling down the road, a common practice of scooter-ers.