Laid her down..

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Desliderman

Laid her down..

Post by Desliderman »

Hello all!

I have a 2013 Stella Auto that I bought a few months ago. I am really happy with it.

Monday evening I was leaving work to attend a scooter meetup with other members of our club when I had an accident. It had rained pretty hard earlier but I am afraid not hard enough to wash the oil off the road at the intersection that this happened.

No real damages to me from the 25 mph wreck. The scoot did not fair as well. She has a good bit of damage to the right cowl, legshield, floorboard and trim. The windscreen got wonked up as well.

What I am asking about came up in a discussion with some other bike riders that I work with.
1. Are smaller scooters i.e. lighter weight and smaller tires, more likely to have problems given the same road conditions then the big Kymco (Xciting 500) that I used to own?
2. What recommendations could I take to heart on rainy days of wet streets once I get Stella back?

I used to own a Buddy Italia and it too wrecked on wet roads. The dimensions between the two are similar.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

What kind of tires and how is the tread?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Replace the stock tires with S1's
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Where you hard on the brakes going through this intersection?
You are going 25 miles an hour into the intersection and went down? How did it go down? Where you on the brakes when it happened?
Front and rear?Where you leaning when it happened?
I'm trying to get a mental picture of how the spill happened.
I went down on a motorcycle heading towards the stoplight in a pouring rain and I laid on the rear brake too hard in the next thing I know I was on my side. But that was coming up to the intersection. Can you describe the circumstances before you laid it down, and what was happening?
Were you coasting or breaking or leaning or accelerating?
Glad that you're not all banged up.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Glad you are in one piece. The rest is easy to fix.

I agree with dasscooter. The tires are EVERYTHING. I run S1's myself, hard to beat.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The Dunlops that the last Stellas came with are kinda sketchy. That said, the braking feel and feedback from a Stella is rather wooden.

If you like a vintage tread style , I did like the Michelin S83s on my P200. If tread style doesn't matter to you, I'd support the votes for the Michelin S1s.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...