Used Buddy 170i - what to look for

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Type-scoot

Used Buddy 170i - what to look for

Post by Type-scoot »

I was looking at the Buddy 50 (new) for riding around NYC when what looks like a good deal on Craigslist came up. A 2012 Buddy 170i for about $1K. It's been sitting for a year and the owner says to bring a battery cause he doesn't want to be bothered with it. Red flag?

It seems like a good deal, but wanted to see if there's anything I should look out for. One of the things that concerns me with the 170i is that it doesn't have a kickstart and I'll be parking it outside by my front gate and hooking up a battery tender is not an easy option. Is this a realistic concern?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How many miles on the 170i?

If it has been sitting for a year, I would, at a bare minimum, completely drain the old fuel before firing it up. Put in a gallon of fresh fuel with an ounce or so of seafoam before firing it up.

The battery on the 170i is in the same location as on the 50. In the winter, if you aren't going to ride fir a while, simply pull the battery and bring it inside.

I just sold my 170i. Had 5,300 miles on it, and never a problem. They are a good scooter.

If the scooter is clean, $1000 would be a great deal.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:How many miles on the 170i?

If it has been sitting for a year, I would, at a bare minimum, completely drain the old fuel before firing it up. Put in a gallon of fresh fuel with an ounce or so of seafoam before firing it up.

The battery on the 170i is in the same location as on the 50. In the winter, if you aren't going to ride fir a while, simply pull the battery and bring it inside.

I just sold my 170i. Had 5,300 miles on it, and never a problem. They are a good scooter.

If it starts and runs with a new battery then it's an even better deal. If it doesn't, then offer $500 cash and see what happens.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Type-scoot

Post by Type-scoot »

It has approx 6,000 miles. I don't think draining the fuel is going to be an option, but I do want to make sure it runs...
Type-scoot

Post by Type-scoot »

skipper20 wrote:

If it starts and runs with a new battery then it's an even better deal. If it doesn't, then offer $500 cash and see what happens.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
That's a good idea.
Type-scoot

Post by Type-scoot »

Quick update - this one was sold right after my last post. The search continues.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As you have probably figured out, if you find a bike that you want at a price that sounds good to you - you need to contact the seller then, not some other time.
Type-scoot

Post by Type-scoot »

Dooglas wrote:As you have probably figured out, if you find a bike that you want at a price that sounds good to you - you need to contact the seller then, not some other time.
The update was at a later time - contacting the seller was before even posting the question of what to look for. Craigslist is a circus - no replies, replies, but no follow up...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Craigslist means move fast and know what your looking at. Its best if you are looking for something specific (like a scooter) that you have a friend handy that knows about them and is willing to go with you at short notice. I have went with people before to look at scooters and a few bikes, also Toyota MR2's and those 1st gen. Toyota VanWagon minivans. I guess thats what I know and am good for. Some local scooter clubs have scooters for sale listed on their FB page. I got a nice Hyosung Sense for $150 from a local clubs FB page once.