Speedometer Cable

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scottramsam

Speedometer Cable

Post by scottramsam »

I have replaced the inner speedometer cable in my Stella 3 times in the last 600 miles. The inner cable keeps breaking 2 inches up from the front wheel hub. I have noticed that the outer sleeve has a crack around it where the clap holds it in the hub. Is this the cause of the cable breaking, and do I need to replace the outer housing also to remedy this problem. I noticed that the fork has two holes in it and the cable runs out of the upper hole, then curves around and goes next to a recess in the side of the fork and into the hub. Is this the proper route for the cable? When the front bounces the cable looks like it flexes up and down a lot. Is this problem common with Stellas ? Any tricks to re-fishing a new outer housing?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Sometimes speedo cables can be a real PITA.

1.)A couple tricks, keep that "loop" out of the fork as big as possible, its the kink that breaks the cable.

2.Also, when doing a new inner cable grease the crap out of it with a Moly grease.

3.) I only replace the inner once, maybe twice. Then I do the outter sleeve too. yes, its a pain. tape the new sleeve to the old one, it helps. lotsa soap too

4.) When installing a new cable, take out the gear down by the wheel. check it make sure it isn't chewed up. ALSO, grease EVERYTHING in there well.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Saturdave

Post by Saturdave »

I've never had mine go bad, but lubung that gear and cable end is a scheduled maintenance item... Also I just encountered this little fix posted on an LML owners of Great Britain Facebook group. Not sure if it will help you or not.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Fix%20 ... eHQtx6U1dA
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Mine just went today, seems like it is going to be a real pain in the ass to install a new one. It was difficult to even get the speedometer screwed back on the speedo cable. Not looking forward to this.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

This is an on going issue and needs to be sorted by LML. I always change the drive worm in the hug when I change the cable. A little tip,after you have fitted the worm and the cable if you turn the wheel in reverse and feel resistance you have done something wrong.

Its an easy job to do once you have done it a couple of times.

There is also a little mod you can do to the little brass cable holding bracket. You can find instructions on the LML GB owners club facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lmlocgb/