Ratt or Blur. Posted in other forums. sorry for repeat...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

huh?

Ratt or Blur. Posted in other forums. sorry for repeat...

Post by huh? »

Haven't ridden much, but want to buy a scoot. Partially for fun, partially for cheap transportation. Average daily commute would be at least 8 miles both ways. Need capability to maneuver in city traffic (at least 55-60mph). Would like decent acceleration (again, in-traffic maneuverability). Also, would like to take my wifey around on it every now and then. I'm 5'-11"ish and 34 inseam. By the way, scooter would NOT be primary transportation.

Love the Aprilia SR, but you don't get much to work with (stock power). Was just about set on the Rattler 110, but recently heard of a new Blur 150 for sale. I love the looks of Both. I'm wanting to know more about how these two models compare. Also, I'd like to know how the Blur's 4 stroke acceleration compares to the Rattler's 2 stroke.

Any advice would be appreciated.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Good..I like it when new posts show up here! I think I saw a tumbleweed the other day.

Is price an issue? I imagine there's at lease a $1000 difference between the two. If it were me, I'd save the extra $$
If money's not an issue, I'd probably go with the Blur for the extra 40cc.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The Blur is supposed to be faster (don't know, I've never ridden a Blur). It's a 4 stroke so the maintainence is different and the rear suspension is supposed to be uber cool. The Rattler is a 2 stroke, make sure it's got gas and oil and go. The Rattler will make small clouds if left running inside a garage. The Blur is more sportbike like, the Rattler Motard like. I'd have to imagine the Blur is better for 2 up riding... but I'll stick with my 110 (I like motards). Either way scoot and be happy :clap:
huh?

back to you

Post by huh? »

afriendofcheese wrote:Good..I like it when new posts show up here! I think I saw a tumbleweed the other day.

Is price an issue? I imagine there's at lease a $1000 difference between the two. If it were me, I'd save the extra $$
If money's not an issue, I'd probably go with the Blur for the extra 40cc.
Price is an issue, but what the dealer said, the blur will be going for "cost". WHat the dollar amount actually is, I wont know until later...
huh?

Post by huh? »

nissanman wrote:...It's a 4 stroke so the maintainence is different...
Maintenance? How is the maint. different than on a 2 stroke? (sorry for the newbie question)
Roose Hurro

Different Strokes...

Post by Roose Hurro »

huh? wrote:
nissanman wrote:...It's a 4 stroke so the maintainence is different...
Maintenance? How is the maint. different than on a 2 stroke? (sorry for the newbie question)
Two-strokes don't need oil changes, four-strokes do....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Different Strokes...

Post by illnoise »

Roose Hurro wrote:Two-strokes don't need oil changes, four-strokes do....
You better believe two-strokes need *gearbox* oil changes! Two-strokes are generally *more* maintenance-intensive in the long run, but they're generally simpler to work on.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
afriendofcheese

It really doesn't get much easier than a gear oil change which only needs to be done every 2000 miles.
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

Hi. If I were you, I'd buy the Rattler.
Why? Because:

It's a 2-stroke. Less moving parts. No valve train= no cams, chain, spring, valve seat, valve-check/adjust. No wear & tear on parts that do not exist.. No parts to go outa-kilter (specs). Make sense?

2 Stroke = instant power every revolution of the crankshaft. Therefore more pizzaz on the get-go. You're long gone before the 4-stroke can gather steam. More acceleration = more fun. Still make sense?

Exhaust smoke? no prob. just use decent 2T oil (none of those salvaged from the Exxon Valdez spill, ok?) and adjust oil injector according to factory specs. Don't add extra oil to the gas in the fuel tank; you're not going to the racetrack.

Rattler has shorter wheelbase than Blur, translating to quicker steering, meaning Mo Fun cuz you can Dance w/it.

Money issues? Hey, the difference in price ain't gonna send you to the poorhouse.

BTW I like both 2-stroke and 4-stroke. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Between the Rattler and the Blur though, I'd pick the R any day (or night).
huh?

Everybody, thanks for input so far...

Post by huh? »

Thanks for input, everybody...you're making this decesion a lot easier...

O.K. so here's another question...Has anyone upgraded their rattler 110 (prima pipe etc.)? If so, what has the response been for you? I ask this because If an extra $200 will get me up to (forgive the term) "blur-ish" speeds, I may lean towards the rattler. (The Blur is going to be roughly $200 more (than the rattler) anyway...

thanks, and please keep your input coming!
huh?

Re: Different Strokes...

Post by huh? »

illnoise wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:Two-strokes don't need oil changes, four-strokes do....
You better believe two-strokes need *gearbox* oil changes! Two-strokes are generally *more* maintenance-intensive in the long run, but they're generally simpler to work on.

Bb.
How simple to work on? Could a newbie like me work on it? I'm making a living doing general building maintenance and electrical work, so mechanical concepts aren't completely foreign to me. But then again, there is a learning curve to be dealt with when it comes to just about anything.

By the way, what is your opinion on the blur vs. rattler question.

thanks!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The pipe is nice, you will need to consider some different rollers and contra spring to get the most out of it though. Maybe another $25 in parts in addition to the pipe. Some of these questions are already answered in yahoo group genuinerattler too. Obviously you won't get a ton of Blur information at that group.
huh?

Post by huh? »

nissanman wrote:The pipe is nice, you will need to consider some different rollers and contra spring to get the most out of it though. Maybe another $25 in parts in addition to the pipe. Some of these questions are already answered in yahoo group genuinerattler too. Obviously you won't get a ton of Blur information at that group.
thanks!
afriendofcheese

The gear oil change is as simple as unscrewing a bolt, letting it drain, screwing it back in, and filling it back up with oil thorugh a different hole.

Motor oil doesn't ever need to be changed and is easily added when it burns up.
Roose Hurro

Over-Simplification...

Post by Roose Hurro »

afriendofcheese wrote:The gear oil change is as simple as unscrewing a bolt, letting it drain, screwing it back in, and filling it back up with oil thorugh a different hole.

Motor oil doesn't ever need to be changed and is easily added when it burns up.
Sorry for being unclear and incomplete... the above more clearly states what I meant. I guess I was trying to be simple... :roll: Ahhh, well!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

honestly, these are all i do by way of maintenance to 2T's:
1) periodically check to see there's 2T oil in the container that's injected into the motor.
2) well, you gotta check there's gas in the tank, pilgrim !.. hehe.
3) periodically check the lights/blinkers are working
4) check/adjust/clean spark plug once in a while.
5) change gearbox oil every 3-4 thou miles.
6) occasionally check drive chain (if any) for slack and adjust accordingly)
7) connect battery to trickle charger if scoot is not used often enough. don't forget to check battery-fluid level & top-up if low.
8] o yeah, don't 4get 2 check the tire pressure. very important.
that's it man.. ride it like you stole it.. it likes to be ridden that way.. honestly.. didn't i say it's got that Fun Factor in it?
huh?

Post by huh? »

anyone else want to weigh in?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The rattler and the blur are both big bikes, one with a smaller engine, one with a larger one.

Right now, the price genuine is selling blur's left over for, it's only a few hundred more than a brand new 2008 rattler, for the extra few hundred, you get more power and better suspension and such.

It really depends on what you want price wise and style wise, heck, Genuine might even have a few rattlers for 2006/2007 left over on clearance, if you can find one the right color and price, I'd get that.
huh?

Post by huh? »

Both have their highs and lows style wise...I hate the orange color on the Blur, but judging by other people's pictures, they look pretty boss painted up...The rattler too, looks sweet in all black...I just wish I could know that I could get a dedicated 60mph(ish) machine out of the Rattler...even if it took a few hundred extra to make it happen...
huh?

Post by huh? »

GOIINg with the RATTLER!
huh?

Post by huh? »

Yes, my friends...I put down my deposit today...in a few weeks I'll have my Rattler...hey, they even threw in 2 helmets!
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Congrats.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Roose Hurro

Choice Made...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Sounds good... have fun, be safe!

ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

u aint gonna regret it, man.. im happy 4 u.. yeyyzzaa
:D
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Welcome to the scooter family, huh? :) Any updates on the rattler ? How are you enjoying the ride ? Let us know about your experiences dude.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
huh?

Anxiously awaiting...

Post by huh? »

yo. nothing to update you with yet...don't have my scooter yet... :cry: The scooter shop in my town sold their only one in stock, so I had to order it...that's alright though, I like the idea of being able to "baby" it all the way through the break-in process by myself...I expect it this weekend or early next week..for now i'll just feed my addiction for scooter/riding info by coming here and to the rattler group on yahoogroups..