8 days 6 states 1,632 miles on 150cc or less.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

8 days 6 states 1,632 miles on 150cc or less.

Post by RoaringTodd »

Hello Buddyland -

Thought you'd enjoy this summary of a trip I just took. One of the scooters I used was a 2015 Genuine Scooter Roughhouse.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/8 ... 65844/[url]
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Excellent ride report - and great photos, Todd. Al the way down to Skyline! Small-engine light touring!
You were seeing 50 mph on the Roughhouse?
honi soit qui mal y pense
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Regular flats, yes. (Indicated)

When going down hill, the speedometer was past 50 and the engine spinning real hard...
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/8 ... s.1165844/

For some reason the link stopped working.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Ah, 50 BMPH. :D

Still, an impressive very long run for an unmodded 2T - nice. Actual & feasible travel! 2T torque was nice to have on the hills and low mountains you encountered.

How many miles do you have on the Roughhouse so far?
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Great report! Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Redhand - she's got about 1436 now. Bought her new in January and she rotates between my two other scooters.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Nice ride, putting the miles in :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

So... I found out why I kept losing oil on this trip. I am beyond amazed I made it home after riding down from NY - WV back to home. This is one of the swing arm bolt attachment points that just gave away. I guess all the miles of bottoming out on those infamous Honda Elite shocks did its toll.

The engine dying at every stop? It was a badly cracked carburetor intake boot.
Attachments
Cracked Case.jpg
Cracked Case.jpg (120.39 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Wow! The Honda that refused to die! Astounding that you made it home; must be Good Karma. :shock:
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

RoaringTodd wrote:So... I found out why I kept losing oil on this trip. I am beyond amazed I made it home after riding down from NY - WV back to home. This is one of the swing arm bolt attachment points that just gave away. I guess all the miles of bottoming out on those infamous Honda Elite shocks did its toll.

The engine dying at every stop? It was a badly cracked carburetor intake boot.
JB Weld it! Just kidding. On a more serious note, wow! That is a a good testimonial for the Elite. I miss the 85 Elite I had, your travel blog was cool.

So, I have had a Buddy for 3 years and 16,000 miles and am eyeballing the Roughhouse, which you have. You've also had the chance to downsize from the elite. So, can you tell me if you feel limited by the top speed -- would you consider doing more long trips on the RH?
The red ones are faster.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The Roughhouse does have it's use - it's a fun around town ride. I also do enjoy the slower pace at times, especially when the weather conditions are perfect. In eastern PA there are thousand miles of small and twisty roads with towns to explore. The Roughhouse excels at that.

That being said- I only get up to 45mph GPS on a stock motor. I could get a BBK but I would keep the MPH lower to avoid asploding the engine, so basically I would have more torque for the hills.

Those long straightaways at 45mph can get a little dreary over time, especially when you are WFO on the throttle. I prefer the RH for shorter around town rides, and am actually waiting on my Genuine Motorcycle g400c for longer touring.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Elite 80cc's are TANKS! I was told the motors are based on the old Honda CT motors. I never had to remove the panels on my Elite 80 so I couldn't tell you what it looked like! Before we had to tag mopeds (50cc and under) here, people would ride their Elite 80's as mopeds. DMV got wise to those lies quick! Anyways, cool ride report. Far as we go now is 60 miles each way to play pinball. You are either an inspiration or crazy!