Over heating - details

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Camperdog

Over heating - details

Post by Camperdog »

If you are experiencing overheating please give us details. There may be something just under our nose that were missing.

When you have your moment please note the temp and humidity.

The overheating seems to be effecting the Hooligan the most. Could the problem be that the Hooligan cannot shed heat fast enough? The Buddy has the oil cooler flying out in the wind while the Hooligan is buried under the bodywork?

I have only owned my Hooligan a few weeks and have not had any problems nor have I had the chance to really go for a ride under the conditions that seen to be causing the issue.

Please add info and ideas to question.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

We all, at least here in South Central Pennsylvania, have been expirencing some rather 'warm' weather, with my Buddy 150 I've not had any overheating issues that I know of. Ever a few years ago when it was in the low 100's for several days in a row I'd had no noticeable issues, but then again my Buddy isn't fuel injected, that's a 'different' beast, isn't it?
The Hooligan and the Buddy 170i have a similar set up?

Brought over from the other thread:
KABarash wrote:
iwannascoot wrote:I really don't like the oil cooler on my Buddy but the more I learn about this issue, the less I dislike it. I hope you get this fixed soon although it seems like something the dealer cannot figure out easily.

Billy
I always thought the oil cooler was a good idea, being mechanically 'repressed' I didn't quite understand it's importance but I suppose it does it's job. On my '08 Buddy 150 it is however behind the battery box as opposed to in front of it as on the 170i.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Well, my fiasco yesterday started to happen in the mid to upper 80'sF, and humidity was indeed high. It was 79 or so degrees when the engine light came on, and I was not no where near full throttle for the few mile stretch when that happened. My scooter is back at the shop again. Others may be on to something about oil cooler location, I never really looked where its located, but on my wifes Buddy its easily visible, easy to catch the breeze. who knows, maybe that's the whole problem.
I live in Wisconsin. We get a few hot days here a year, and Wisconsin hot is nothing like southern states hot days. If it is in fact because of 'hot' weather riding, what do the folks do where it is warmer than Wisconsin? I did not get rid of my Roughhouse to get a Hoolie to only be able to drive half throttle and only on cool days. Frustrated... really frustrated.
Camperdog

Post by Camperdog »

Is using synthetic motor oil a plus?

Are these over heating problems happening with scooters that are using conventional oil, synthetic or both. Synthetic oil will tolerate more heat but if the limp home mode is activated with either oil, then the problem is else where.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Are you sure it's an overheating problem? The engine light can be indicative of many troubles.

OP, where have you heard of overheating troubles?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

It would seem to me that there is something wrong with your Hooligan that is causing it to overheat that is a one-off issue vice some design issue with the bike. In the other thread one of the posters mentioned his co-worker riding his Hooligan across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway bridge going to and from work in New Orleans. That poster and his co-worker own and work in the scooter store that sells Genuine Scooters in New Orleans. The temperatures that you mention, 80+ degrees, absolutely don't compare to the temperatures that folks see in New Orleans during the summer months, 90-100 degrees every day with stifling levels of humidity. If it was a design issue with the placement of the oil cooler it would definitely be affecting their bikes too.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a lemon. I would be all over trying to get Genuine to replace your Hooligan with another one.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

No problems so far on my 170i. It's 104 today but not riding until tomorrow. I've ridden mine around 95 degrees & full throttle for maybe 10 minutes straight with no problems. Usually I do 50-55 on country roads, full throttle on hills only unless someone's on my tail & I can't pull over. Switched to synthetic 10W-40 when it got to 100 last month. 958 miles on it now.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Camperdog

Post by Camperdog »

Syd wrote:Are you sure it's an overheating problem? The engine light can be indicative of many troubles.

No I don't know if overheating is a problem. My motivation in starting this thread to together let's put our heads together and brainstorm a solution.
Let's hear from the best and eliminate the guesses and help each other out.
My hooligan doesn't exhibit any issues, but when it and if it does we won't have to waste time being frustrated by going through our own trial and error individually.

Example, VW introduced FI to their line in the late 70's at that time I was warned don't buy one because they were a nightmare. Turns out they were not. No one knew the system and where the weak points were. Once the system was in the field a while and people figured where the problems originated the reputation for the nightmare went away. Most of the fear was centered around the vacuum hoses going bad. Replace the offending hose and problem disappeared.

I think we have the same situation here, a small number of these scooters are showing a consistent problem let's work together.

One huge advantage we have today...... The Internet and modern buddy!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

It could just be an overly sensitive heat sensor on your hooligan. Have your dealer replace it. I think the bike can handle the heat just fine. Its just overly sensitive heat sensors IMO.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Camperdog wrote:
Syd wrote:Are you sure it's an overheating problem? The engine light can be indicative of many troubles.

No I don't know if overheating is a problem. My motivation in starting this thread to together let's put our heads together and brainstorm a solution.
So you want answers to a problem that may or may not exist? Yet you say this problem occurs with a particular model.

first figure out if overheating is the issue. This did occur with some Blurs, however there were documented incidents

It is hard enough to try to determine real issues over the internet; finding solutions to a problem that has not been identified is a waste of time and effort.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:So you want answers to a problem that may or may not exist? Yet you say this problem occurs with a particular model.
First figure out if overheating is the issue. This did occur with some Blurs, however there were documented incidents.
It is hard enough to try to determine real issues over the internet; finding solutions to a problem that has not been identified is a waste of time and effort.
Excellent point. We now have two threads currently active on this forum about supposed/possible overheating problems that are being discussed with some vigor - but with no confirmation that the problem is actually occurring.
luckyscroller788

Dooglas wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:So you want answers to a problem that may or may not exist? Yet you say this problem occurs with a particular model.
First figure out if overheating is the issue. This did occur with some Blurs, however there were documented incidents.
Excellent point. We now have two threads currently active on this forum about supposed/possible overheating problems that are being discussed with some vigor - but with no confirmation that the problem is actually occurring.
As far as I can tell, along with the shop where I bought the scooter, I am having an overheat issue, I suppose it is possible that it could be a faulty sensor, or computer on the thing, but when that light comes on, and it starts running really shitty, and sucks gas like a '72 Buick Lesabre , when the code is read it shows one long light and one short light, indicating an overheating code. That's all I've got to go by for now.
This weekend the shop removed that crankcase breather piece of crap Genuine told the shop to try after it was a disaster, and they checked and adjusted the valves (they said both intake and exhaust were a bit out of specs, but not majorly). I then ran it and put on 150 or so miles Saturday and Sunday with no issues. A couple things to note on the weekend rides... The outside temps were low 80's at the warmest, mildly humid, and I didn't work the scooter very hard,only taking it up to 62 on the speedo for a couple seconds a few times, but mainly about the 45 to 55 speedo for the majority of the rides.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

luckyscroller788 wrote:As far as I can tell, along with the shop where I bought the scooter, I am having an overheat issue,
And the scooter is a Hooligan 170? Your Buddy 170 does not show similar symptoms when run under the same conditions?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Is there another Genuine dealer you could take it to for a second opinion? Also, with everyone recording everything why dont you just hook up a Gopro or something and actually record the light coming on with the power cut out sputtering in the background? That would help your dealer see what it does and if its not fixed post it here for us to see. Thats how I documented my Ranger when a evil electrical gremlin go into it and left me randomly stranded. Actually recorded the problem (NEVER acted up in the shop!) and once I showed them the video they fixed it for $60. Some strange ground under the dash was "back loading?" a breaker or something. Whatever, its ran perfect ever since the repair. Try recording the problem.
luckyscroller788

Dooglas wrote:
luckyscroller788 wrote:As far as I can tell, along with the shop where I bought the scooter, I am having an overheat issue,
And the scooter is a Hooligan 170? Your Buddy 170 does not show similar symptoms when run under the same conditions?
Correct Dooglas, it is a 2016 Hooligan. My wifes Buddy is a 2012 170i buddy, with almost the same amount of miles on it.
luckyscroller788

sc00ter wrote:Is there another Genuine dealer you could take it to for a second opinion? Also, with everyone recording everything why dont you just hook up a Gopro or something and actually record the light coming on with the power cut out sputtering in the background? That would help your dealer see what it does and if its not fixed post it here for us to see. Thats how I documented my Ranger when a evil electrical gremlin go into it and left me randomly stranded. Actually recorded the problem (NEVER acted up in the shop!) and once I showed them the video they fixed it for $60. Some strange ground under the dash was "back loading?" a breaker or something. Whatever, its ran perfect ever since the repair. Try recording the problem.
I don't have a go pro, or even a smartphone, I am a little behind the times in that aspect. There isn't another Genuine dealer near me that I have heard much good about, but I may have to try another one if it comes down to that, but for right now I am pretty pleased with all the efforts my dealer is putting into trying to get this thing figured out. The temps have been fairly mild the last few days, and I have put on about 250 miles since they removed the crankcase breather, and adjusted my valves, and so far it hasn't got hot, but again, it hasn't been in the upper 80's much while I was riding.