Roughhouse stall after start?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DieselRH50

Roughhouse stall after start?

Post by DieselRH50 »

Hello forum!!!
Ive been looking in all these posts with a lot of good info has been very helpful thank you very much!!

NOW,
i am a brand new owner of an awesome de restricted RH50 and i love it
the only thing that ticks my mind is that at start up if i don't give it gas it dies i have to give it a little gas and keep reving the engine for it to stay on and not die but after holding the gas for a few seconds it stays on

it won't even start unless i give it a little gas on the handle is this user error for me being a newbie? is this normal? is there any kind of fix so i can have a good clean strong start with just pushing the button? any info or thoughts would be great!!!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've had the same issue, and what I did was to adjust the idle slightly inwards (turn clockwise) until the idle speed increases. Don't do it wildly or just willy nilly... just a tad until it seems to run a little bit quicker.

Yes, I always give a little blip of my throttle when I start it. Even when kick starting.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

'Yer running it on diesel - there's your problem! :lol:
DieselRH50

Post by DieselRH50 »

Ok I had some time to fool around with my scooter today this carb looks a little different from what I'm use to on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers
To my understanding in the picture I have taken the one circled in green is the idle speed screw and the red is the air mix screw correct? Also the part circled in blue looks a little off as there should be something there is that suppose to be just open like that? How are you suppose to adjust the air mix screw in the red circle?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
Pinkscooter

Post by Pinkscooter »

The Green is the Idle speed knob the air/fuel mixture screw is under that blob to the left of the green knob. You need to get the blob off. You'll see the screw with no head. Using a screw extractor pull the screw out and cut a head on it or buy a replacement screw. You can get one here http://www.epfguzzi.com/scooterpunks/parts/buddy.html its down at the bottom of the page. They also have replacement O-rings for the carb.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I usually kick start my Roughhouse and give it just a little bit of throttle when I do. . .especially if the weather is hot like in summer. Even electric starting starting may require a bit of twist on the throttle to get it going and when it does pop just blip it slightly a couple of times and it should settle in to a good idle.

During the winter or colder weather it just starts right up without any throttle assist and the idle speed is significantly higher. After it runs for a minute or two the idle speed slows down (I'm talking in cooler weather here) and then I'm on my way. DO NOT START OR LET THE SCOOTER RUN ON THE SIDE STAND. ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE SCOOTER IS ON THE CENTER STAND WHEN IT'S RUNNING!

I usually start to ride once the rear wheel stops spinning on the center stand. . .or barely moves.

I've been using Star Bright Star Tron fuel additive and it helps to avoid ethanol related problems. :helmet:
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Do not mess around with th air fuel mix. most of the time unnecessary. Adjust the idle for now. See what that does for you. Clockwise to increase idle. The other direction to reduce idle. I had the same thing, and just slightly turned in the idle.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
DieselRH50

Post by DieselRH50 »

Uh oh. . Is it bad if I start it on the side stand ? What problems can come from that? I wasn't aware of that !!! I've only been using side stand because it's a little hard for me to use the center stand.

Also the reason why I need to adjust air screw is because I live by the beach and it's been around 100 degrees here and the air is really humid right now it's annoying during take off it seems there is no power until I hit about 12 mph or so then it finally takes off
KooK

Post by KooK »

Well, here in New Orleans it is always hot and humid. I usually electric start my rh and give it a twist to get some fuel going through the carb. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times as it is cold. I have noticed that when I put it on a battery tender it starts right away and strong! Giving a carbed engine a bit of throttle I always thought was absolutely normal!

Throw some gas cleaner in the tank and run the hell out of it. And put your battery on a charger to aid in starting.
DieselRH50

Post by DieselRH50 »

Look thanks for the info!

But now I'm worried that I messed up by letting it warm up on the side stand..

Are there any known problems that are caused by doing so? Would that be the reason it has a small power loss during acceleration? I adjusted the idle screw it starts good now just kinda lags when I accelerate from a stop light when I hit about 10moles an hour then it starts to pull
KooK

Post by KooK »

The thing about running it on the side stand is that it can fall over. It happened to me once. Got off the scooter for 10 sec to close the gate and it fell over.
DieselRH50

Post by DieselRH50 »

Oh no that's no good I'll make sure not to do that any more.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

You are not causing your issue by starting it on the side stand. However, you do risk having the bike take off on you though. If the idle is set correctly, when the bike starts up it has a tendency to initially rev the engine up for a few moments, particularly in colder weather, to warm up the engine before it drops back down to normal idle speed. This is done by the electric choke, taking the place of the manual choke on most motorcycles. When in that first moment of high idle, the bike might spin the back wheel which is normal. If it is on the side stand, vice main stand, the wheel is in contact with the ground and there is a strong chance that the bike could take off on you and try to take itself for a ride. ;-)

This obviously can't happen if the bike is up on the main stand since the rear tire is not in contact with the ground. Also, if you are sitting on the bike while starting it, normally the weight of the rider will keep the bike from moving, but it can definitely take you unawares if you aren't anticipating it.