Possible bogging issue

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alexvuk82

Possible bogging issue

Post by alexvuk82 »

Hey folks,

So I've been having this weird power loss and bogging issue with my girl friends matte for the past couple days now. The problem is intermittent; which makes it hard to diagnose.

From what she is saying, she'll be riding along and the bike will slow down suddenly, then speed back up without making any throttle adjustments.

Weird.

I put a NCY variator and new plug in her bike two weeks ago, the plug looked good and she was able to hit accelerate smoother with someone higher speeds, but thats all I've done.

Thinking, b-12 or seafoam clean out might solve her problems.. Shes running 3500 so it might need a good clean out.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks as always
White R50
Matte R50 NCY Variator 6.5g rollers
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'd put the stock variator and rollers in for a test. Let her ride it for a week, and see if the problem persists. I'd be sure it wasn't something you changed before I spent a lot of time looking at other places. I'm suggesting this because the problem showed up shortly after you made the mods. Pull the new plug, recheck the gap and see how it looks. Take a good look at the plug cap and coil wire. Be sure they are not damaged or loose. I've seen this before on a faulty plug cap. Did not make constant contact with the plug. At 3,500 miles with regular maintenance and riding, your scooter should not really need anything more. Put her back, put some miles on her and let us know.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Thanks bro,

Last night I checked the plug and gap and everything looks great, I've been using the NGK bp7hs and gapping them .6 or .7 also thoroughly checked the coil inside and out, no visible issues.

I took it for a test drive after that and noticed that if I hit the accelerator aggressively from a stand still the bike is totally unresponsive for a moment, then takes off...sounds like a variator issue to me.

So I swapped the ncy out with the original including weights, I'll keep you posted on what she says.
White R50
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You used the NCY gold variator with stock rollers? I have no experience with that, but it gets pretty good reviews. The stock PGO parts are first class.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Yeah, but I used some off brand roller weights with that variator, the orginal weights were starting to get flat spots.

Gf told me she didn't have any issues this morning, I'll give it a week.
White R50
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You should spend the $22 and go for Dr. Pulley sliders. Go one gram lighter than stock.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

It was definitely the variator/weights in this instance, so I'm not really sure what happened.

One thing I did notice was excessive wear on the weights and some Teflon missing on the inside of the variator...

Her bike works just fine now though with everything back to stock...weird!
White R50
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

DeeDee wrote:You should spend the $22 and go for Dr. Pulley sliders. Go one gram lighter than stock.
Her roller weights are getting some small flat spots, I'll buy her some 5.5g sliders. Thanks for the help!
White R50
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Mine did that. old gas was the culprit.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Boots

check the intake snorkle

Post by Boots »

i had this problem with a few customers bikes and it turned out that there's a loose dust flap close to the intake snorkle under the seat.

that loose flap will intermittantly get sucked up against the snorkle cutting off the airflow.

we just zip tie the flap in place and solved that problem.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Dust flap near the snorkel eh? I'm going to have to take a look. Is it necessary to remove the under seat storage compartment or can you see it from the exhaust side looking in underneath?

I had a problem with my Roughhouse bogging last night and it's the first time it's happened in 3,000 miles (more than a year). I'm thinking it was a vapor lock or the high speed jet may have been clogged (although I'm doubting that) or there was a vacuum problem in the fuel tank. I had been running at WOT for a while doing very nicely when all of a sudden the scooter started to bog and groan every time I tried to give it gas. Backing off the throttle seemed to restore it's ability to run but it would only keep about 30MPH top speed. So I limped it home and when I got back it idled fine and I couldn't detect any electrical problem.

This morning I checked all the hose connections, looked for signs of leaks around the carb and made sure the air box was connected properly to the carb. Everything seemed OK.

I proceeded to add more gas to the tank (already treated with Star Tron) and also added a splash of Marvel Mystery oil. When I removed the gas cap I didn't detect a hiss or sound of a vacuum releasing pressure. I started it up and let it warm up for a minute with no problems. Took it for about a 5 mile ride. . .no problems. . .WOT was good and everything in between. It's totally weird. I couldn't see any crud in the gas tank and I'm very careful about not getting any foreign matter into the tank while refilling it. I've ridden the thing several times today and it ran like a champ. The only thing I can think of is that I went from a warmer temperature riding inland to a cooler temperature near the ocean in a short distance and perhaps that rapid change in atmosphere caused some issues. Either way my scoot is running great now and I didn't have to spend any more money. :lol: :helmet:
KooK

Post by KooK »

i second the Dr. Pulley Sliders. they have made a very noticeable consistency that it was missing. well worth the few bucks...