locking gas cap trouble

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brenttannehill

locking gas cap trouble

Post by brenttannehill »

My son borrowed my roughhouse, and put the gas cap on wrong. I went to unlock it, and the key is stuck in the locking mechanism. I watched a youtube video where the guy said if you put the cap on wrong, you have to replace the gas tank. Is this true? What about contacting a locksmith? Has this happened to anyone else out there?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

This particular issue has not happened to me, but your son must have some brute strength. Couple of times I got my cap reversed and tried to put it in the wrong way, found that it just won't go in unless you force it.
Good luck finding a solution to your problem.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I currently don't have my Black Cat near enough to me to go out and test it, but it may be that the key can't be removed unless the gas cap is pushed down into the gas tank opening. I had this issue with a Honda Shadow or Rebel that I was told to pick up while working at a motorcycle store. The key was stuck in the gas cap and we (me and a neighbor with multiple motorcycles that was trying to help) could not get the key out of it in order to use the key to unlock the forks. Eventually we decided to just wrestle the bike up the loading ramp. When I got it back to the shop, the owner just pushed down with a bit of force on the gas cap and it "clicked" and the key came out.

Try pushing down with a little bit of force on the gas cap and the key should be able to be pulled out. If not, try a locksmith or you may have to get a new gas cap and matching key.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

cummingsjc wrote:I currently don't have my Black Cat near enough to me to go out and test it, but it may be that the key can't be removed unless the gas cap is pushed down into the gas tank opening. I had this issue with a Honda Shadow or Rebel that I was told to pick up while working at a motorcycle store. The key was stuck in the gas cap and we (me and a neighbor with multiple motorcycles that was trying to help) could not get the key out of it in order to use the key to unlock the forks. Eventually we decided to just wrestle the bike up the loading ramp. When I got it back to the shop, the owner just pushed down with a bit of force on the gas cap and it "clicked" and the key came out.

Try pushing down with a little bit of force on the gas cap and the key should be able to be pulled out. If not, try a locksmith or you may have to get a new gas cap and matching key.
Yeah, the key won't come out unless it's either latched shut or the gas cap is off. Your gas cap isn't locked in place, it's jammed in the wrong position. You're going to have to pry it loose.
brenttannehill

Post by brenttannehill »

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get the key out by moving the gas cap around. I still can't get it off, but I guess I could bring it to a locksmith and give that a try.
brenttannehill

Post by brenttannehill »

I was able to get the gas cap off using an oil filter wrench. Just turned it counter clockwise until the arrows lined up. Success!