blur tires need help

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teamhurst

blur tires need help

Post by teamhurst »

Long story short seem to be having a hard time finding tires for the blur 150 not sure if there are different from the 220 but in any cases. Really need one for the back and might as well change the front. scooterworks don't have any in stock :cry:
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

www.bikebandit.com has them. Just search 130/60-13. I would recommend the Michelin tires if you value performance over thread life. I have the Michelin Sport Pilots (no longer available :() on mine and really like them. Huge handling improvement over the the stock Maxxis tires.
Last edited by babblefish on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

Kenda K413's are a decent option.

I actually have a set of 130/70/13 brand new Michelin's that I would have no problem parting with if you absolutely needed a set. They came on the bike I purchased... Free + shipping cost to you. I had them on my rig and I didn't like the final drive so I went to Kenda K413's in 130/60/13.

Let me know.
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

The tires I have for you are Michelin City Grips in 130/70/13. Here are pictures. They still have the nipples on the upper portion and sides. Throw me $35 for shipping and materials and they are yours.

teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

will the a 130 fit on the front the stock it a 120 .
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

Yes. This is a picture of my 150 with these exact tires on it from last week.

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The 130/70-13 tire has a bit larger diameter than the stock 120/60-13 so should make the speedometer reading more accurate, if that's of any importance to you...
The 130/60-13 that I put on the front of mine made a 2-3% difference in speedometer reading. It's only about 5 mph optimistic now.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Great I'll take them!!
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

Got your pay,net. Will try to send out early next week.
Meeners
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

Sir,

Just want to follow up. Things have been busy but i have your best interest in mind. I couldn't find a box for both tires. Are you okay with me just Saran wrapping them to ship them out? I don't like to not response so before you got worried I figured I'd come through and post publicly!

Meeners!

PS Let me know!!!
Meeners
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Meeners wrote:Sir,

Just want to follow up. Things have been busy but i have your best interest in mind. I couldn't find a box for both tires. Are you okay with me just Saran wrapping them to ship them out? I don't like to not response so before you got worried I figured I'd come through and post publicly!

Meeners!

PS Let me know!!!
FWIW: that's how internet tire stores normally ship tires, motorcycle or car. They usually wrap the shipping label under the clear wrap and/or zip tie a heavy duty shipping card to the tire (s).
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

ok thanks for the update. thats fine. ups? or usps? sure can relate :D
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think Meeners gets the Blur good scooter dude of the month award!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

i know right hes number one in my book
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

teamhurst wrote:ok thanks for the update. thats fine. ups? or usps? sure can relate :D
Fed EX, hopefully! If not UPS! I'll get in touch with you this weekend!
Meeners
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

thanks
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

Boo yah... Heading ur way. Should get next week at the latest

Meeners
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That looks like a big wheel of cheese...
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

I like cheese!! Thanks again man !!
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

Man I should be a shipping quoter!!! Right on! woop!

Meeners
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Hay the tires came in yesterday morning at 11 am just as you described. thanks again man
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Meeners

Post by Meeners »

teamhurst wrote:Hay the tires came in yesterday morning at 11 am just as you described. thanks again man
Sweet!!! No problem!

Also, word of advise for installation: Once you get the tires mounted, Install the wheel on the bike with little to no pressure. This way it's easier to get around the rear of the motor! Later!
Meeners
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

teamhurst, once you get the tires mounted, can you do a speedometer vs GPS check to see if the accuracy of the speedometer improved? Thanks!
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

went to have the tires put on and the guys at ziegler motorsports say that they cant get one to fit on the front says it just want clear im thinking the fender so im on the hunt again :cry:
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Let me know if you source a front tire. I just had my rear one done and had to complain to get the correct size as they put a 70 series one on initially. They were able to get the correct tire eventually. I can't fine a front tire online(at least that I can order) in the OE 120/60/13 size. Maxxis USA's web site shows the OEM tires were have, but they don't seem to be available anywhere.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

according to scooterworks a 130 60 will fit but there is no 120
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

In the same boat here. I have the 2013 220 and my rear tire is showing braid. Dealership where I bought the scoot doesn't sell or service Genuine any more, so I'm struggling between trying to find an independent mechanic, taking a 4 hour trip to San Francisco, or taking the wheel off and taking it to cycle gear to have a tire installed. I'm leaning towards the latter. How difficult is it to yank the rear wheel from a Blur? Is there a write up somewhere? I managed to change the oil using an excellent write up I found here on the forum.

Secondly, Cycle Gear has Michelin, Avon, Pirelli, and Continental tires in the 130/60-13 (as an aside, scooter center in San Francisco says this is what they put on the fronts and backs). Amazon also has Kendra and Shinko of multiple flavors. Any recommendations on tire brands?

Thanks!
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

im going to go with the Continental my self the shinkos will try to kill you at every turn.
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

RickWaza wrote:In the same boat here. I have the 2013 220 and my rear tire is showing braid. Dealership where I bought the scoot doesn't sell or service Genuine any more, so I'm struggling between trying to find an independent mechanic, taking a 4 hour trip to San Francisco, or taking the wheel off and taking it to cycle gear to have a tire installed. I'm leaning towards the latter. How difficult is it to yank the rear wheel from a Blur? Is there a write up somewhere? I managed to change the oil using an excellent write up I found here on the forum.

Secondly, Cycle Gear has Michelin, Avon, Pirelli, and Continental tires in the 130/60-13 (as an aside, scooter center in San Francisco says this is what they put on the fronts and backs). Amazon also has Kendra and Shinko of multiple flavors. Any recommendations on tire brands?

Thanks!
My dealer installed the Michelin Power Pure. It seems good so far. Not sure about a 130 fitting the front as someone just posted it wouldn't. As for removing the rear wheel- that is a big job. An oil change is child's play on the Blur(unless you have to change the filter which adds a level of difficulty). It amazes me nobody stocks the correct tire. It appears the OEM Maxxis tires are available in the UK as I see listings on Ebay. This is one possibility, but the shipping costs are high so you are looking at $150 bucks for a $50 tire. It is baffling to me that Genuine doesn't import the correct Maxxis tires themselves and distribute to the dealers. Another example of their piss poor support of the products they sell.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

chickdr wrote:
My dealer installed the Michelin Power Pure. It seems good so far. Not sure about a 130 fitting the front as someone just posted it wouldn't. As for removing the rear wheel- that is a big job. An oil change is child's play on the Blur(unless you have to change the filter which adds a level of difficulty). It amazes me nobody stocks the correct tire. It appears the OEM Maxxis tires are available in the UK as I see listings on Ebay. This is one possibility, but the shipping costs are high so you are looking at $150 bucks for a $50 tire. It is baffling to me that Genuine doesn't import the correct Maxxis tires themselves and distribute to the dealers. Another example of their piss poor support of the products they sell.
The parts diagram distributed to dealers for the Blur lists the tires as "Limited Quantity." If this were a normal part (engine part, body panel, etc.), it might be cause for concern, BUT it's a tire. There are plenty of options for those as outlined in above posts. Genuine isn't a Tire Company - it's a scooter company.

As for "piss poor support," I'm not sure if this is trolling or a genuine (ha) attitude. Every single interaction I've had with Genuine has been positive - Parts availability, speed of shipping, warranty claims, etc.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Yalzin wrote:
chickdr wrote:
The parts diagram distributed to dealers for the Blur lists the tires as "Limited Quantity." If this were a normal part (engine part, body panel, etc.), it might be cause for concern, BUT it's a tire. There are plenty of options for those as outlined in above posts. Genuine isn't a Tire Company - it's a scooter company.

As for "piss poor support," I'm not sure if this is trolling or a genuine (ha) attitude. Every single interaction I've had with Genuine has been positive - Parts availability, speed of shipping, warranty claims, etc.
The issue is there are NOT "plenty of options" for tires in the sizes we need as outlined above by many folks. Have you tried searching for a 120/60-13 scooter tire(probably not since you don't ride a Blur...)? How hard would it be for Genuine to stock the Maxxis tires we need? I am sure if they asked for them, PGO would make it happen. Personally, I like to have matched sets of tires on my vehicles. It would be ideal if I could get the OEM 130/60-13 Maxxis tire as the front tire lasts much longer than the rear. This way they always match.

I am not "trolling" - IMO Genuine is not good at supporting their products. They don't even have a contact email, or phone number on their web site. If you have personally been in contact with Genuine - how do you go about it?

I just got off the phone with Maxxis USA who has an office near me in Suwanee, GA. I asked about the issue and was told Maxxis goes after the OEM scooter producers in Taiwan where they are based but does not import many tires for aftermarket use as there are too many others here to compete. The issue in my eyes is that not many have the tires we need 120/60-13 and 130/60-13. The guy I spoke with was super helpful and suggested the following site to me: www.partsforscooters.com

In looking at this site I found the following available as a matched set for our bike by the maker "Duro". I have no idea if these are good quality or not.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/154-234 ... ory=157161

http://www.partsforscooters.com/154-239 ... ory=157161
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Partsforscooters was the first place I looked for the tires, which came up with the Duros. Amazon also lists the Duros (at a lot higher price), and also lists Maxxis - https://www.amazon.com/MAXXIS-60-13-M60 ... 20%2F60-13

Genuine relies on it's dealer network as the front-line. They do not deal directly with customers typically. That's not a rare thing, it's the dealership model they have chosen.

I'll admit, I have the bonus of working for a Genuine Dealership, so I am in contact with them on a very regular basis about a wide variety of items ranging from parts to strange service questions. In my experience, they have been extremely helpful. I'd be happy to contact them about this if you'd like?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Yalzin wrote:Partsforscooters was the first place I looked for the tires, which came up with the Duros. Amazon also lists the Duros (at a lot higher price), and also lists Maxxis - https://www.amazon.com/MAXXIS-60-13-M60 ... 20%2F60-13

Genuine relies on it's dealer network as the front-line. They do not deal directly with customers typically. That's not a rare thing, it's the dealership model they have chosen.

I'll admit, I have the bonus of working for a Genuine Dealership, so I am in contact with them on a very regular basis about a wide variety of items ranging from parts to strange service questions. In my experience, they have been extremely helpful. I'd be happy to contact them about this if you'd like?
Since you work for a dealer I am sure you a lot more ability to contact Genuine. As a customer I have none. It is funny the Maxxis tire came up on Amazon as I tried looking several times over the past few months and it never came up for me. That price($116) is about twice what they typically go for. I paid much less for the 130/60-13 Michelin PowerPure SC my dealer installed.

I would actually love for you to contact Genuine and ask if they would consider stocking the Maxxis tires. I certainly think dealers would buy them if they were available. I know I always ask mine if they can get me a Maxxis tire.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

chickdr wrote:
Yalzin wrote:Partsforscooters was the first place I looked for the tires, which came up with the Duros. Amazon also lists the Duros (at a lot higher price), and also lists Maxxis - https://www.amazon.com/MAXXIS-60-13-M60 ... 20%2F60-13

Since you work for a dealer I am sure you a lot more ability to contact Genuine. As a customer I have none. It is funny the Maxxis tire came up on Amazon as I tried looking several times over the past few months and it never came up for me. That price($116) is about twice what they typically go for. I paid much less for the 130/60-13 Michelin PowerPure SC my dealer installed.

I would actually love for you to contact Genuine and ask if they would consider stocking the Maxxis tires. I certainly think dealers would buy them if they were available. I know I always ask mine if they can get me a Maxxis tire.
I doubt that that the average Genuine dealers would stock tires for the Blur based on how few really seem to be out there in the wild. If I was a dealer, I would definitely have some Buddy tires available at all times, and maybe some Roughhouse tires but always having a set of Blur tires seems like a waste of money and shelf space to me. I would assume that dealers could get the correct size if they really dug around for them, maybe not in the brand you want but in the size you need. I worked in a independent scooter repair shop and parts on hand, particularly tires, we're all about common, most used sizes since we could generally get odd sizes within a day or two from our primary distributor, WPS, when needed. Ultimately, a dealer would stock your tire size if they felt it made them money to do so.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I bought my Michelin Sport Pilot tires (130/60-13 front, 140/60-13 rear) from www.bikebandit.com and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately, Michelin no longer offers those sizes in the Sport Pilots. People have used 120/70-13 and 130/70-13 on their Blur without issue, so when the time comes for replacement, I may try 70 series tires (of which there is a pretty good selection) which because of their taller profile, should give a slightly greater top speed and maybe a little more accurate speedo reading, at the expense of a slightly skewed odometer reading. I'll probably stay with the sizes I'm currently running, just in a 70 series profile.
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

Update. I found a local shop that will replace the tire. BTW, Cycle Gear's machine won't work on 13 inch wheels. I ended up ordering the Kendra 130/60-13 from Amazon. Should arrive next week.

Removing the rear wheel was actually pretty straightforward. I found a power point on these forums explaining how to do it. Must have been an older model, as there were small difference, but it was pretty easy. Only required one trip to the hardware store (needed to get a 1/2 drive ratchet and a 24 mm socket for the wheel nut). I didn't pull the brake disk off the wheel, as I don't have hex driver set. I hope the shop can change the tire as is.

Will let you know how easy it is to get back together in another week.

Cheers, and enjoy the long weekend!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

chickdr wrote:My dealer installed the Michelin Power Pure. It seems good so far.
I have had great success with the Power Pure on my Aprilia. I'd say that is an excellent choice. I have had some experience with both the Maxxi and the Duro in the past. I do not consider either of them to be a first quality tire.
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

Another update. Local motorsports shop put the new tire on the rim for 30 bucks, and I got the wheel back on in about an hour. No really difficult bits. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know if the wheel falls off. :). Removing and reinstalling the wheel was easier than I expected.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I am glad you figured out a way to get it done. Now to find a source for the 120/60 13 front tire for when it needs replacement....