Buddy 50 bogs at WOT with pod filter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Meis

Buddy 50 bogs at WOT with pod filter

Post by Meis »

so today I tossed on a pod filter I got that is slightly angled. After install, the filter sits perpendicular with the CVT case. I started it up and let it warm up for about 10 mins and then took it for a spin. as you can assume, it bogged like crazy because I did nothing to my carb after the filter install. I pulled over as I knew i would need to and enriched the mixture screw by tightening it until my rpms rose, then backed off the idle speed until it went back to normal idle rpms. now i took off in it and initial take off is great and then the power just falls off. top speed on a small stretch of road is about 35bmph vs the 45 i hit before, and it took a while to get there. at WOT, the scoot will surge and fall off repeatedly.

Just curious to see what people with more experience tuning these scoots have to say. does it need a rejet? the mixture screw is not turned all the way in, I have about another 1.5 turns. no other mods at all.
Meis

Post by Meis »

I should also say that I could reinstall the filter at a different angle which would make it run more down the length of the CVT case
boyjeenyus

Definitely needs a re-jet--soon!

Post by boyjeenyus »

The mixture screw really only affects idle to 1/8 or 1/4 throttle. The needle controls 1/4-3/4ish, and the main jet controls the mixture from 5/8 throttle or so up to WOT. Adjusting the mixture screw does almost nothing from 1/4 throttle up, so you added air with your new filter but didn't increase the fuel flow. You will definitely need to up-jet the main, and possible switch to a richer needle as well. Don't run it lean like that for long, or you could do damage.
Hope that helps! Enjoy finding the right mix of jetting and air--it's fun to tinker :)
Stephen
Meis

Re: Definitely needs a re-jet--soon!

Post by Meis »

boyjeenyus wrote:The mixture screw really only affects idle to 1/8 or 1/4 throttle. The needle controls 1/4-3/4ish, and the main jet controls the mixture from 5/8 throttle or so up to WOT. Adjusting the mixture screw does almost nothing from 1/4 throttle up, so you added air with your new filter but didn't increase the fuel flow. You will definitely need to up-jet the main, and possible switch to a richer needle as well. Don't run it lean like that for long, or you could do damage.
Hope that helps! Enjoy finding the right mix of jetting and air--it's fun to tinker :)
Stephen
where is a good place to get components for these carbs? as soon as i got home i put the stock airbox back on and reset the carb where it was before the pod filter.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I am definitely not an expert on fuel-air mixture ratios, rejetting carbs, using pod filters, etc. From what I do understand is that if you mess with these items you might need to think about performance exhausts also in order to allow the increased exhaust flow the ability to get out of the system fast enough to not cause a backup with the engine.

What was your intent with adding the pod filter, more low end power or higher top end? Or some combination of both?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Put that airbox back on! :D
Meis

Post by Meis »

dasscooter wrote:Put that airbox back on! :D
I did as soon as I got home
Meis

Post by Meis »

cummingsjc wrote:I am definitely not an expert on fuel-air mixture ratios, rejetting carbs, using pod filters, etc. From what I do understand is that if you mess with these items you might need to think about performance exhausts also in order to allow the increased exhaust flow the ability to get out of the system fast enough to not cause a backup with the engine.

What was your intent with adding the pod filter, more low end power or higher top end? Or some combination of both?
Intent was to tinker lol, I am a tuner at heart but this is my first foray into scooter tuning. I have a significant amount of experience in car modifications/maintenance/repair (750whp Evo X, 330whp MK6 GTI, 350whp WRX, etc etc etc) and I like to make things a little sharper than they are from the factory. Handling, braking, accelleration, top speed, aesthetics are all things I like to fiddle with. I suppose you could say I like destroying resale value of all of my vehicles lol.

I figured that the factory exhaust (albeit unrestricted) would cause a bottleneck and create too much back pressure with the now open element air filter. This is something on my to do list. Mainly I was just checking for fitment on the air filter when I decided to see how it ran. I am accumulating parts here and there.

Soon I'll be getting the NCY trans kit with some sliding weights as well as some up rated braking components. From there I'll go with an exhaust and the intake with some re jetting, and after I've got that dialed in for a while, full suspension and a 70cc kit.

Or maybe I'll just toss in a 250cc motor
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If you want to use that open element air filter, you will need a bigger main jet. The Prima Stage I kit provides, among other things, jets in size 85, 90, 95. You can order jets in that size from Scooterworks and experiment.
-I had the same result as you when I removed the baffle from my stock air box on my Buddy 125. The engine wanted to die at over half throttle, and I had a Prima exhaust and I had already jetted up from 92 to 95.
I still have a couple of bigger jets, so I may install one and try again.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Meis

Post by Meis »

wheelbender6 wrote:If you want to use that open element air filter, you will need a bigger main jet. The Prima Stage I kit provides, among other things, jets in size 85, 90, 95. You can order jets in that size from Scooterworks and experiment.
-I had the same result as you when I removed the baffle from my stock air box on my Buddy 125. The engine wanted to die at over half throttle, and I had a Prima exhaust and I had already jetted up from 92 to 95.
I still have a couple of bigger jets, so I may install one and try again.
I'm currently looking at a set of main jets from 75 up to 110 so I can rejet as needed for various upgrades. Also grabbing a set of pilot jets from 45 up to 60 I think just to be safe. Thank you!