Poloni 165cc big bore kit, Turbocharger and EFI project

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

This is awesome, keep up the good work!

But, I have an unrelated question. Where did you get those passenger footpegs? I think my better half would like those much more than what I currently have!

Thanks
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

I've got some of the welding done and 3D printed an oil tank for the turbo that will be made of stainless steel. The gas tank is now about twice the size of the original and the new flange welded to the intake will eliminate the adapter. Here are some before and after pics.

Stock Gas Tank

Modified Gas Tank - its 4 inches deeper and I'll have to coat the inside with some tank sealer and paint the outside.

Stock intake

Modified intake - I'll have to drill the holes to match up to the throttle body.

3D printed mock up of oil pan

magnato1, the foot pegs came with the side cowl protectors
http://www.scooterworks.com/cowl-protec ... osB7jath0c
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

ahh, wintertime, and back to shop projects. My 165 kitted engine was losing power and making ugly sounds, either the crank bearings or piston rings (haven't opened it up yet) so I put the second lml 4t 200 in the sidecar tug. It's been running well, not quite broken in yet. The first 4t 200 will get a 221 kit over winter,well, just because...Cheers david and keep up the good work!
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
stella 4t 200cc with readspeed CDI, unmodified stock engine
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

djp4059 wrote:
Thanks for the info djp4059. I was worried you would say that. I just want the pegs! Haha
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

gburbank wrote:ahh, wintertime, and back to shop projects. My 165 kitted engine was losing power and making ugly sounds, either the crank bearings or piston rings (haven't opened it up yet) so I put the second lml 4t 200 in the sidecar tug. It's been running well, not quite broken in yet. The first 4t 200 will get a 221 kit over winter,well, just because...Cheers david and keep up the good work!
Wait, I thought the 4t frame was smaller than the 200? Is there a way to fit a 200 into the Stella frame? Is it hard? How much would it cost?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

magnato1 wrote:
djp4059 wrote:
Thanks for the info djp4059. I was worried you would say that. I just want the pegs! Haha
Not to sidetrack this thread, but have you looked at the Vigano-stype pegs?

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... IGANO/1843
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

az_slynch wrote:

Not to sidetrack this thread, but have you looked at the Vigano-stype pegs?

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... IGANO/1843
Yeah, I have these ones. They sit too low for my gf's short legs. And they put her feet right behind mine so even with her small feet, they're in my way the whole time. It's just not a good setup.

But thanks for looking out!
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

The 4 stroke 200 engine needs only a swingarm adapter and a longer clutch cable, all stock lml parts, to fit the 4 stroke frame. The differences between the frames on a european 4t 200 and the stella 4t 150 are cosmetic. The engines, swingarm adapter, and clutch cable are available the trick is finding a place willing to crate it and ship it overseas. I ended up paying just shy of $2k delivered for each engine, from suppliers in the UK, including the cable and swingarm. SDN scootershop in holland also has them but more expensive. Best prices are thru italy but hard to track down who has what. It is a completely different engine and transmission from the 150, though they still share some common parts. Much bigger clutch to handle the torque. The changeover was quick and straightforward, and I have nowhere near the mechanical skills of DJP on his build, but I have learned a lot following his progress on the turbo.
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

gburbank wrote:The 4 stroke 200 engine needs only a swingarm adapter and a longer clutch cable, all stock lml parts, to fit the 4 stroke frame. The differences between the frames on a european 4t 200 and the stella 4t 150 are cosmetic. The engines, swingarm adapter, and clutch cable are available the trick is finding a place willing to crate it and ship it overseas. I ended up paying just shy of $2k delivered for each engine, from suppliers in the UK, including the cable and swingarm. SDN scootershop in holland also has them but more expensive. Best prices are thru italy but hard to track down who has what. It is a completely different engine and transmission from the 150, though they still share some common parts. Much bigger clutch to handle the torque. The changeover was quick and straightforward, and I have nowhere near the mechanical skills of DJP on his build, but I have learned a lot following his progress on the turbo.
That's awesome, this will definitely become a project when I get out of school. Is it noticeably more powerful than the 150? Is it just more power or can you get more top speed as well?
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

the stock 4t200 (without the sidecar) will sit at 65 all day long, occasionally 75 (indicated) downhill (twitchy on 10"tires), 60 uphill, barely purrs at 55. On long runs it gets 81 to 84 MPG, but the tank is only 1.1 gallons so I fitted a tour tank to extend my range. There is an upgear for the primary that will increase your top end but sacrifices some power, it normally is fitted along with the polini carb, pipe, and 221cc cylinder upgrades which compensate for the difference.If you want a really fast bike, go buy a ninja for what you'll spend on all this. I'm doing it for the heck of it, you never know if the 200 will ever make it here but I'm putting in the research just in case. You can buy them in mexico as well, so it's not impossible. In fact, if I lived near the border I'd look into buying the engine there and bringing it back. There is a dealer in mexico city. Don't send cash...
stella auto, bone stock
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

The power question: you can actually use 4th gear, with the sidecar and a passenger. Not as overdrive, but , ya know, shift into fourth and accelerate. Rather a novelty for stella/sidecar drivers! On two wheels, you had better lean forward if you do a jackrabbit start.
stella auto, bone stock
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

gburbank wrote:The power question: you can actually use 4th gear, with the sidecar and a passenger. Not as overdrive, but , ya know, shift into fourth and accelerate. Rather a novelty for stella/sidecar drivers! On two wheels, you had better lean forward if you do a jackrabbit start.
Indeed, over a bit of a distance 4th gear will accelerate the Stella and sidecar with a passenger. :) Just not up an incline. lol
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Some pics of the gas tank inside the frame. Its a snug fit and pushes towards the rear about a 1/4", because the frame narrows a little up front. But as you can see there's plenty of room with the airbox removed.

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Nice work on the 200cc gburbank. I'd like to see how much more you'll be able to go with the 221cc kit, carb and pipe. I'm like you, I just do things to do them, not much to do over the long winter. I like projects, they keep me busy. I've gotten my scooter up to 80 mph (indicated) without the sidecar, but then I start thinking about them small tires also. I really need to mount that Boost Gauge in a spot where I can see it when I'm hauling ass down the road, cause I haven't any idea how much boost I'm getting. The SuperTrapp muffler sounds great, even when I let off the gas and slow down. I never did get a video of it running, mainly because I couldn't figure out from which perspective to do one, either from the riders point of view or having someone trail me. I did get a GoPro, so when the weather warms up I'll get some kind of video. I finally did a breakdown of everything I bought and how much it all cost to do this project. So far I've spent $3015.70, thats counting around $1000.00 of things I didn't really have to buy (like the Galaxy Tab 4, Bluetooth stuff, Anti-Gravity battery and so on).
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

I've been working on the electrical wiring lately. Mounted the brain box in a better place and re-did the harness that came with the EFI and meshed it into the stock harness along with the TrailTech voltage regulator. Moved the battery to the glove box (what a pain in the rear it is to route wires on this scooter). Also ran some wires to the glovebox for some toggle switches for the ALM wide-band controller and Eco-Rich switch. 3D printed a battery box and a panel for a fuse block and voltage regulator.

Couple of pics of the battery mounted in the glove box. I moved the battery because I'm planning on installing an inter-cooler where the battery was.

And a pic of the panel with fuse block and voltage regulator installed. The fuse block will hold 6 fuses, but I'll only use 3 (Main fuse, ALM fuse and EFI fuse) the other 3 will hold spares.

I also drew up an emblem that I'll 3D print to mount on both side cowls.

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

3D printed a bracket, for the boost gauge, that mounts to the back of the Ram Mount that holds the Galaxy Tab 4. This will put it where I can see it.

Also printed out the first of two emblems.

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

I've been working on the inter-cooler for the intake from the turbo. Its going to be water cooled. I designed the inter-cooler myself, not to sure how good its going to work but my current intake air temp is only 130 deg., it's made of entirely copper. Just got done fabricating all of it and now all I have to do is solder it all together. I also bought a small radiator, water pump and fan, still need to make a reservoir for it. Pics of the inter-cooler are below.

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Soldered up the inter-cooler and took a pic of where it will be most likely installed.

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

I've mounted the radiator, shroud(3D printed) and fan. The radiator and fan where made for water cooling a computer, the fan is called the Tornado and its very fast. Here are some pics

Fan, shroud and radiator put together.

My dog Abbey keeping an eye on me.

Radiator installed on the scooter.

Again, I'm not to sure how this is going to work. When I get the cooling system all hooked up, I've thought about using a heat gun to blow thru it and see how it works.
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Tested the oil pan for the turbo today. My buddy wanted me to test fit it before he welded it all together and mark where I wanted all the the fittings for it (breather, outlet and fill). He made it using stainless steel, I forget what gauge he used though it has a little weight to it. This would have cost a small fortune it I had to pay for it. It fit perfectly. I'll get it back tomorrow.

It will mount to the turbo and where the old exhaust muffler use to bolt on to.

ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Yikes that hangs low! Not worried about road potholes, speed bumps or the like?
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Got the oil tank for the turbo back today and installed it. It hangs about a half inch lower than the exhaust pipe. so there should be no problems with ground clearance.

The dimensions for the tank itself are 13" long by 6" wide, 3" deep in the center up to 2" on the ends. I'll probably grind down the welds flush and polish it up next winter.
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Well she's all done. All polished up and waiting for a nice day to take her out.

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Took her out for a ride today. She ran well. Intercooler seems to be working, but it was kinda cool out. Still need to dial the ignition and fuel mapping in. I did find out that my enlarged gas tank holds one extra gallon, a total of 2.5 gallons.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Do you have any problems with the rear fender hitting the gas tank?
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:Do you have any problems with the rear fender hitting the gas tank?

No, there's at least 3 to 4 inch's of clearance.
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

any new updates on this?
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I have sent you a PM with regards to your larger fuel tank.
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

youkiddin wrote:any new updates on this?

Not really, still runs good. I just don't get out and ride it enough. I've been very busy this summer and haven't had a chance to do any tuning to it or get a video of her running. My top speed so far has been in the 80's. The one thing I'm kinda disappointed about is that the gearing on this scooter doesn't really allow you to take off very fast. But once you get into fourth gear, then she runs.