"Dreaded 3rd to 4th shift" ?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Driller

"Dreaded 3rd to 4th shift" ?

Post by Driller »

Just what is the "dreaded 3rd to 4th shift" with the Stella? I will be test riding a bone stock '09 and would like to know what to expect if anything. My last experience with a 2t shifty was on one with only three speeds (Allstate).
I would presume the engine would bog if you shift too soon and not on the power band. Am I thinking right?
Any input appreciated.
Cheers!
Driller.
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Stock gears on a 150 aren't bad. The 200 has a taller 4th and ringing out 3rd gear before you shift into 4th keeps it nicely in the powerband. The tuner guys with powerbands in the high rev ranges will switch the 150's 4th gear to the lower T5 gearing.

A more important note about gearing is to make sure it stays in all the gears during the test drive. Abuse from a novice rider can wear cruciforms quickly.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

What's tricky for me sometimes is 1st - 2nd. Because of that damn neutral location... Never had issue from 3rd to 4th. Just be sure to roll the throttle nicely.
Driller

Post by Driller »

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to checking the scoot out. I will have to revive my clutching skills. 8) Certainly will have to wake up my right foot. When I started riding scooters after many mc's my feet were looking for something to do. :lol:
Will report my impressions soon.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Just what is the "dreaded 3rd to 4th shift" with the Stella?
I've never heard of it. Is the person who advised you of this supposed Stella issue experienced with shifting gears in general ?
Driller

Post by Driller »

This expression popped up in a couple of threads about exhausts and jetting for enhancing performance. Sounded like Stella owners so I would guess they know how to ride a "shifty".
It may have been used in context of scooters with hacks. You would definately not want to upshift too soon dragging a loaded sidecar around. :shock:
Nettar

Post by Nettar »

I'm not sure what issue anyone could have between 3rd and 4th. You will need to be careful between 2-N-1 however. Easy to think that your in neutral when you've actually dropped to first. If you're moving at speed this can cause expensive problems.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

If Im slowing to an intersection, red light, in 3rd gear, and downshift into second,
Still slowing down, then roll up the shiftie into neutral, 'without' using the clutch from 2nd to neutral, am I wearing out the cruiciform more than normal?

Ps nothing dreaded about 3rd to 4th gear shifting. Ya do it if you need to ifif your speed is up there. If not, stay in 3rd.
Thanks
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics