better exhaust for rattler 110

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

johnslack110

better exhaust for rattler 110

Post by johnslack110 »

Hello group. So, my prima 110 after 6 months snapped right at where the header pipe meets the flange that screws onto the motor. Soo, anyone know where I could get a better aftermarket pipe still for the rattler 110??
boyjeenyus

Not much out there

Post by boyjeenyus »

Seems like there aren't many options... Lots of folks liked the OEM pipe best of them all. You'd probably get more out of upgrading the carb. I'm running a Keihin PE 26 with the stock pipe and I have a ton of power. I just picked up an expansion-chamber exhaust from a user on this forum that I'm looking forward to trying out. Do you have access to an OEM pip?
Stephen
johnslack110

Post by johnslack110 »

I still kept the original pipe with me, I had my sports shop reweld the pipe back with a better stronger weld and all is working great. I just wasn't sure how much the oem pipe would affect my tuning since it was last set up to run with the prima 110 pipe. Shoot I may commission him to see if he can build me a whole new custom one too, But I'll save that for winter time.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

johnslack110 wrote:I still kept the original pipe with me, I had my sports shop reweld the pipe back with a better stronger weld and all is working great. I just wasn't sure how much the oem pipe would affect my tuning since it was last set up to run with the prima 110 pipe. Shoot I may commission him to see if he can build me a whole new custom one too, But I'll save that for winter time.
What you did to repair the Prima is a good option, however IMO the Prima pipe isn't optimal on a Rat 110.

Boyjeenyus has the best compromise pipe that I know of; it is an unlabeled, disguised expansion chamber that looks pretty similar to OEM. It was designed by Dan Kelly (a/k/a "SBL", back in the day) & he had it made in a fab shop in Taiwan. Pure quality, it fits like OEM & is much better made. It's a bit on the heavy side, however no worries with durability. It gives up some low end, but properly tuned just screams up top.

The most unique pipe I ever had was a PowerMagic old-school thin-walled expansion chamber. I should have kept it, if only for the snap, crackle & pop. However, it was loud enough to wake the dead...

I also experimented with drilling the end baffle in an OEM pipe, however I ultimately found that the stock OEM pipe performed better.

So when it comes to a Rat 110 there really aren't that many options. The custom fab idea will of course give you more.