Roughhouse R50 Air Filter replacement

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Myboyphilly

Roughhouse R50 Air Filter replacement

Post by Myboyphilly »

My roughhouse R50 will not idle at all. Once I kick start it (which is only way to start it, the electric start won't do it) it will die instantly without idling. I have read on here that it could possibly be a dirty carb or the air filter. I have tried Seafoam, but it doesn't seem to be helping ( I've only ridden it for about 5 miles with the seafoam/ gas mixture). Do any of you have any suggestions? If it is the air filter, where is it located? If it's the carb, could you provide a link to the instructions on how to clean it. Oh, and I replacedon't the spark plug and tried adjusting the idle screw (may not have done it right thought).
Much appreciated.
Thank You.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

With all due respect, if you can not even identify the air cleaner element by looking at the scooter, do you think you should be taking it apart in an attempt to fix it? My experience is that it'd be just made worse.

Phillyboy? In Philadelphia? I'd suggest you take it to Philly Scooters on Passyunk and have them take a look. They're pretty good at diagnosing and fixing scooters quickly.

RT
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Myboyphilly

Post by Myboyphilly »

Thanks for the help bud.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

If you want to attempt it yourself, the air cleaner element is that black thing above your engine next to the carburetor. It's two halves held together by screws. Take it apart and the air filter is inside that. The foam gasket around the air cleaner element can be a bitch to put back on. Just be patient.

Happy Scootering.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Yup. . .couldn't describe the air filter cover gasket replacement procedure any better myself. It does take patience and about a 2 liter bottle of your favorite fizzy drink to stay hydrated until it all comes together and life is good again. :rofl: :helmet: