Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choke not working when engaged. Carb Rebuilt Recently

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
matap
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 13

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Choke not working when engaged. Carb Rebuilt Recently Reply with quote

I recently purchased my 2012 4T and when I first brought it home it needed the choke pull engaged and it would start up just fine and stay running while it was pulled out. It would not idle.

I disassembled the carb carefully and dipped it and got it cleaned up just right. It now turns on great and idles even better.

That is until the other day when I hadn't turned it on for a good 5 days and it was a bit fresh in the morning but it wouldn't stay on. It turned on just fine but wouldn't stay on unless I gave it some throttle and really all it needed was a like 30 seconds to a minute of doing that.

This is where I found my problem when I noticed that when I called upon my choke that it didn't do anything.

Like I said it still turns on real easy. one kick or using the electric starter but shortly wants to die. after riding it for a very short time it's basically a non-issue.

any suggestions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
ArgonV
Member


Joined: 27 Dec 2014
Posts: 127
Location: TX, USA
Stella 4T w/sidecar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if the choke cable became dislodged from the carb?

When you pull it, looking at the top of the carb you should see it engage the flap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website
jimmbomb
Member


Joined: 20 May 2011
Posts: 761
Location: St Louis
81 Vespa P200... past bikes. 08 stella 09 stella w/p200 motor and 2010 4t stella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like on my 2010 4t, you probally need to adjust the choke cable end where it attaches to the carb.
Only a phillips screwdriver needed.
Loosen the clamp, pull the cables outer sleeve away from the carb till its almost out of the clamp,
Then retighten. 15 seconds.
Good luck and report back your success.

_________________



J H
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
matap
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 13

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
Check to see if the choke cable became dislodged from the carb?

When you pull it, looking at the top of the carb you should see it engage the flap.


Definitely not dislodged. and the flap is working properly.

_________________
2012 Stella 4T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
matap
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 13

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmbomb wrote:
Like on my 2010 4t, you probally need to adjust the choke cable end where it attaches to the carb.
Only a phillips screwdriver needed.
Loosen the clamp, pull the cables outer sleeve away from the carb till its almost out of the clamp,
Then retighten. 15 seconds.
Good luck and report back your success.


I'm pretty sure I tried that too after noticing it wasn't engaging all the way down when I first started tinkering with it but I will try again and test it out.

_________________
2012 Stella 4T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
matap
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 13

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matap wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:
Like on my 2010 4t, you probally need to adjust the choke cable end where it attaches to the carb.
Only a phillips screwdriver needed.
Loosen the clamp, pull the cables outer sleeve away from the carb till its almost out of the clamp,
Then retighten. 15 seconds.
Good luck and report back your success.


I'm pretty sure I tried that too after noticing it wasn't engaging all the way down when I first started tinkering with it but I will try again and test it out.


Got the same response. Nothing. It still didn't act like a choke should.

_________________
2012 Stella 4T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
fisher1
Member


Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 188
Location: SouthEast Pa.
2009 Stella 2T, 1970 Triumph 650 Tiger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the choke cable activates the choke and you can verify that watching it, then it's working correctly the issue probably isn't the choke. If the carb was just rebuilt, the problem may be related to another carb issue like stuck float or clogged float needle or clogged jet, etc.

If the scoot is running and you activate the choke, does it result in the engine sputtering and etc ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
matap
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 13

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fisher1 wrote:
If the choke cable activates the choke and you can verify that watching it, then it's working correctly the issue probably isn't the choke. If the carb was just rebuilt, the problem may be related to another carb issue like stuck float or clogged float needle or clogged jet, etc.

If the scoot is running and you activate the choke, does it result in the engine sputtering and etc ?


mmmm.....I did take it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Prior to doing that the choke worked fine because that's all that would keep it from turning off. Now that I cleaned it the scoot stays idling great and runs great but the choke doesn't seem to work. If I pull the choke cable pull nothing really happens. If I finish pushing it until it stops on the carb then it starts to sputter and wants to turn off.

_________________
2012 Stella 4T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
fisher1
Member


Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 188
Location: SouthEast Pa.
2009 Stella 2T, 1970 Triumph 650 Tiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mmmm.....I did take it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Prior to doing that the choke worked fine because that's all that would keep it from turning off.

OK, so carb jets/float/something in the fuel line was clogged and so using the choke richened the mix and thus enabled the engine to run.

Quote:
Now that I cleaned it the scoot stays idling great and runs great but the choke doesn't seem to work. If I pull the choke cable pull nothing really happens.

Are you saying the choke doesn't close the carb's throat if you remove the filter and look down the venturi? If it doesn't close the throat when the choke knob is pulled, something in the choke linkage is not connected correctly.

Quote:
If I finish pushing it until it stops on the carb then it starts to sputter and wants to turn off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
matap
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 13

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fisher1 wrote:
Quote:
mmmm.....I did take it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Prior to doing that the choke worked fine because that's all that would keep it from turning off.

OK, so carb jets/float/something in the fuel line was clogged and so using the choke richened the mix and thus enabled the engine to run.

Quote:
Now that I cleaned it the scoot stays idling great and runs great but the choke doesn't seem to work. If I pull the choke cable pull nothing really happens.

Are you saying the choke doesn't close the carb's throat if you remove the filter and look down the venturi? If it doesn't close the throat when the choke knob is pulled, something in the choke linkage is not connected correctly.

Quote:
If I finish pushing it until it stops on the carb then it starts to sputter and wants to turn off.


1. Yeah, now that carb is cleaned (because it was gummed up bad) it runs fine. Of course once warmed up after a minute. It idles great and stays idling.

2. So I've adjust the choke to simulate closing all the way. When mounted as it should and choke cable is pulled it doesn't seat 100% and probably leaves the butterfly open about 1/8" or less. When I go to push it further in to simulate fully seated it then starts to sputter and will cut off.

_________________
2012 Stella 4T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

  Scootergear designed by riders for riders


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
All Content Copyright 2007-2011 by Modern Buddy. All Rights Reserved.