RH Front Fork Modifications

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tomg

RH Front Fork Modifications

Post by tomg »

I have a RH Sport that I just upgraded to a Malosi 70cc kit and new yellow spring variator kit with a new primary jet and cooler plug. I love the new found power. What I'm struggling with is the poor front fork performance. I'm about to put in 25W fork oil to see if it helps.

I'm wondering what modifications people have done to improve the fork performance. I find it diving and not having much damping or rebound.

I'm considering pulling the legs apart and weld up one of the orifices to see if it slows down the damping and maybe helps with sag

Thoughts and DIY project info is welcome..
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

You can use properly sized washers stacked above the springs to get extra preload on the springs (maybe try 2 or 3) that should help with the fork dive, & you can go to heavier weight fork oil - I suggest trying 15w or 20w - that should help with the damping.
tomg

Post by tomg »

Thanks.. I'll try the spring stacks in addition to the 25W oil. Any idea on what the CC/leg on the oil? If not, I'll just measure what I take out
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

tomg wrote:Thanks.. I'll try the spring stacks in addition to the 25W oil. Any idea on what the CC/leg on the oil? If not, I'll just measure what I take out
I don't know what the oil spec is on a RH. You might do better by pulling the springs and measuring the oil height from the top of the tube with the springs out & fork compressed. Maybe fill a little higher, but not too much. If the oil height is too high then the "air spring" effect will increase internal pressure under fork compression to the point where the fork seals blow out.

If the RH forks are anything like the Rat, then you may need a strap wrench to keep the fork tube from turning when you remove the fork cap. Remember to loosen the top pinch bolts first.
tomg

Post by tomg »

Good suggestions. Thanks...