2008 Roughhouse Maintenance

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dlg1416

2008 Roughhouse Maintenance

Post by dlg1416 »

I have a 2008 Roughhouse that has been dutifully awaiting my time to access a garage. It's got under 1000 miles on it as it was mainly rode while I was a student and lived under a mile from campus.

8 years later with minimal maintenance and my first garage to work out of, I feel like it's my duty to do some overhaul maintenance on my beast. Does anyone know of any good guides on what I should be looking to clean/replace/refill? The DIY sticky post has a lot of dead links.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have a 2008 w/ 1,000 miles on it that has never been serviced?

Gear oil, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter and I would flush and bleed your front brake system.

Is it running like it's supposed to?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Battery, carb cleaning, check tire condition.
dlg1416

Post by dlg1416 »

DeeDee wrote:You have a 2008 w/ 1,000 miles on it that has never been serviced?

Gear oil, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter and I would flush and bleed your front brake system.

Is it running like it's supposed to?
It is running fresh, been serviced once and had the oil changed and carb cleaned. I'm guessing I need to change the gear oil again as it has been 2.5 years since last service. I've had trouble finding instructional videos on how to service the roughhouse. Any suggestions?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

On a 2 stroke like yours, there isn't much too it. I believe the gear box has the capacity stamped near the drain. Info on spark plug, air filter and gear box oil should be in the owner's manual. Check youtube for videos. Might not find exact scooter, but you will get the idea. Measure out the fluid carefully, you don't want to over fill. Use a long ratchet (10") extension for the spark plug. Start it by hand and be sure it is not cross threaded. Check your air pressure regularly. Tires can be 10 pounds low, and still look fine. Only other item you need to be concerned with is front brake pads. Rear shoes will last forever. When you change your front pads, it is a good idea to flush the brake system and refill (plenty of youtube videos on this).