scooter hauler setup ideas

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

luckyscroller788

scooter hauler setup ideas

Post by luckyscroller788 »

I just got a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer, one major reason for the purchase was to haul 2 to 4 scooters for some road trip scooting in farther destinations. Heres my plan, and Id appreciate your opinions, advice, and ideas on its setup.
I am running 10 feet of e-track on the floor on each side and 10 feet of etrack down the center of the floor.I am not sure if running one down the center is a waste or not, but my thoughts were if tying scooters side by side, I could tie down one side of each scoot at the center, and along the edges on the other handlebar.
Its got a 3/4 inch thick "Advantech" (some kinda OSB with 5yr warranty) wood floor. My intent was to cover that with a rubber floor liner that looks like black diamondplate,, and use my e-track bolts to hold the rubber down.The trailer dealer didn't like that idea, and said that would trap moisture under it and be bad for the floor. Id like to cover the floor with something. What should I use? truck bedliner stuff? that's my next choice. I want to protect the floor inside it, but I don't want to cause it to not last me a long time.
Ok, chime in please on your thoughts, experiences to make my trailer the most beneficial for many years to come!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I got a tatty looking used 4x8 non-covered trailer that runs a plywood sheet deck. I leave it in the weather parked under a tree. Not the best conditions. The deck in these harsh conditions lasted every bit of 10 years before I replaced it-because the corners started warping. The few times a year that I do use the trailer it gets a workout. Haul scoots, motorcycles, furniture, firewood, car motors, huge toolboxes and other assorted junk. I would just use yours as is. You are not going to hurt the floor that bad.
Syd

Re: scooter hauler setup ideas

Post by Syd »

luckyscroller788 wrote:I just got a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer, one major reason for the purchase was to haul 2 to 4 scooters for some road trip scooting in farther destinations. Heres my plan, and Id appreciate your opinions, advice, and ideas on its setup.
I am running 10 feet of e-track on the floor on each side and 10 feet of etrack down the center of the floor.I am not sure if running one down the center is a waste or not, but my thoughts were if tying scooters side by side, I could tie down one side of each scoot at the center, and along the edges on the other handlebar.
Its got a 3/4 inch thick "Advantech" (some kinda OSB with 5yr warranty) wood floor. My intent was to cover that with a rubber floor liner that looks like black diamondplate,, and use my e-track bolts to hold the rubber down.The trailer dealer didn't like that idea, and said that would trap moisture under it and be bad for the floor. Id like to cover the floor with something. What should I use? truck bedliner stuff? that's my next choice. I want to protect the floor inside it, but I don't want to cause it to not last me a long time.
Ok, chime in please on your thoughts, experiences to make my trailer the most beneficial for many years to come!
What did the dealer think of the Bedliner idea?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

luckyscroller788 wrote:I just got a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer, one major reason for the purchase was to haul 2 to 4 scooters for some road trip scooting in farther destinations. Heres my plan, and Id appreciate your opinions, advice, and ideas on its setup.
The dealer is right. You need to let the wood floor breathe. Covering it will indeed create a moisture trap. So what if it gets scuffed or dinged? Not a big deal compared to moisture damage.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

You know it doesn't have to be solid rubber flooring. The stuff I used to use in my horse trailer and later for the ramp off my back porch, for aged &/or infirm dogs, was designed not to trap moisture. Something along the lines of this:
http://www.midlandhardware.com/thumbnai ... 0&maxy=300

I found a similar product at the local "Ollies" but checking your area farm supply stores might turn up something like it that you could use.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

luckyscroller788 wrote:I want to protect the floor inside it, but I don't want to cause it to not last me a long time.
Protect it from what? If you bought a quality trailer, the floor is designed for abuse. I have borrowed my friends 6x10 enclosed a number of times for various motorcycle events because hauling is easier and I can sleep in it. He owns a construction company and tools are dragged in and out on a daily basis and the floor is just as sturdy as it was new.

If it were me, I would leave it alone.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

the dealer said I could coat it with a rust oleum bed liner stuff if I wanted to, he said a lot of people do and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I just don't see why that wouldn't be the same effect as a rubber matt on the floor as far as moisture is concerned.
And Dave, I just would like it to last as long as possible, and look nice as long as it can. Protect it from anything... from a little bit of oil dripping, or maybe a little spilled gas if that should happen. Protect it some from deep scrapes if something should be slip across it etc. I do feel the $3k trailer (MTI brand) is a quality trailer, but like anything I pay hard earned cash for, I want to get the most out it.