New to scooters — considering buying 2012 Stella 4 stroke

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

henni

New to scooters — considering buying 2012 Stella 4 stroke

Post by henni »

Hello! I am planning to meet the seller of this Stella at a shop this Sunday.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mc ... 65038.html

I have been eyeing the Stella for a while. Really like the buddy too but Stella's got me hooked with the looks. My question is, based on all of the "unreliable" posts I've seen, is the Stella 4T a bad decision for someone with little experience? I'm currently working from home and have a car, so it would mostly be used for errands, not long commutes. I don't have much mechanical experience but my boyfriend does and I'm willing to tinker if it's minimal.

I think this is a great deal for the Stella but since I'm buying used and not protected under warranty, worried it will become a money pit. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments like "you're crazy, get a buddy!" are welcome.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you are looking for a scooter with minimal tinkering, the Stella is not it in my experience. Out of curiosity, have you ridden both manual shift and CVT scooters? In other words, what has lead you to choose a manual shift scooter?
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

The manual shift Stellas are so far more reliable than the CVT ones. I have a 2013 4t and it has been great. Just a couple of electrical problems, and a evap valve that went out under warranty.

They are touchy though in cold weather, and I would be handy with a wrench to replace things like the clutch cable, adjusting the shift cables, charging the battery and cleaning the spark plug.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

You're crazy, get a Buddy! Seriously, if you have no previous motorcycling or scootering experience, I would highly recommend that you start with an automatic scooter like a good used Buddy 125 or other Genuine, Kymco, or Honda product (or some of the other reputable brands). This will allow you to build up some practical riding experience on scooters and hopefully allow you to build up some mechanical/maintenance knowledge also. Also, this would help you decide whether you enjoyed riding a scooter (not everyone likes it for some strange reason ;-)) After you feel comfortable riding, if you still desire to get a shifting Stella then that would be an easier transition and you should be able to get some of your money back on your first scooter (or give it to your boyfriend and get him into scootering) .

Do you have any previous experience driving an standard transmission car? The principles of shifting are the same, to a degree. Also, I highly recommend that you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved Basic Rider Course before you ride or in conjunction with getting your license, if you have not done so already. This will help you develop your riding skill sets so that you can ride and survive on the road. Lastly, I would see if there was a local scooter group in your area that you could join for both the social aspects of scootering as well as absorbing their knowledge.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

ArgonV wrote:The manual shift Stellas are so far more reliable than the CVT ones. .
Hah! A comedian!

:P
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

dasscooter wrote:
ArgonV wrote:The manual shift Stellas are so far more reliable than the CVT ones. .
Hah! A comedian!

:P
The Autos have had problems with the ECUs as well as worn rollers and premature failure.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Oh, gotcha. Yeah the shifty Stellas are leaps and bounds better than the Auto Stellas. I thought you were comparing Stellas in general to modern scooters like the Buddy!
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

If new to scooting i second going for the buddy for sure. i have a blure and a 09 stella shifty and my wife has a buddy 150 and im always working on the stella for one thing or another.
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella