RH50 BBK installation question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chachamooby

RH50 BBK installation question

Post by chachamooby »

I have a question. What's the easiest way to do this change? I don't have a center stand. Looks like enough room to just lay on the floor and swap the cylinder. But really not sure if the barrel is going to clear the studs before it contacts the frame. Or if I'm way off base thinking it can be done like this, don't hesitate to tell me how dumb I'm being.
Any other installation tips will be appreciated and followed. I figure someone who has been through this could save me a few surprises :D
2002 Yamaha FZ-1
Baja Doodle bug :)
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Your going to have to take the bucket out to do this swap. There just isn't enough room to do it without the removal. Once the bucket is out you will also need to remove some of the plastic shrouding, this will be very apparent which pieces need removal. Be careful not to break any of the plastic tabs that hold these pieces in place. Work slowly and take pictures if you have to, this will help with the replacement.
The BBK is a very easy swap thanks to the single cylinder setup.

Check out this post for some rebuild pics viewtopic.php?t=24652&highlight=

And the only other tip I have is, paint the new cylinder before install, this will help keep it from rusting. Don't use 'rattle' can paint, take it to a auto body shop and have them do it, you will thank yourself later.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The engine/ rear wheel assembly comes out REALLY easy. I would just do it that way, then slide it back in. Just sit bike on a bucket while working on engine out.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
chachamooby

Post by chachamooby »

Thank you both very much. I purchased the Milossi 72cc kit from a sponsor here. The kit has the barrel, piston, all gaskets,and the reeds. I also purchased an assortment of jets, and a new small end bearing. Installed it today. I went straight to a 100 main jet (I'm at sea level and it's 45 degrees F here today). I also added 2 ounces of oil to the gallon tank. While It took me the better part of the day, It's done and running very well. A little too well I suspect. I'm amazed it idles, has crisp response and seems to be just fine! I'm monitoring the plug and will probably go up a jet till I foul one. Then drop back. This is really fun and wish I had bought one of these scooter sooner.
Thank you,
AJ
2002 Yamaha FZ-1
Baja Doodle bug :)