Genuine G400C

Our very own Thumper!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've been told Fall is most likely. Disappointing because they won't sell in many places after the Summer. There were customs hurdles.
cabritozavala

Re: radio silence

Post by cabritozavala »

Has anyone heard anything about this? It sounds like it'll be out end of August but i would expect some promo shots or advertisement to start building up to the launch but haven't seen anything new. I think the newest article i've seen is from Nov 2015 still.

I'll def buy one if anyone carries it here in SF
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I know seriously.... The riding season is in full blast and I am sitting here waiting and waiting for my motorcycle.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
george54

Post by george54 »

The last I heard it was delayed until September. The reviewers didn't like a few things so they are correcting those items. A shame, because in many parts of the world, they're losing an entire riding season.
cabritozavala

Post by cabritozavala »

If it's delayed until september i may buy a different bike before then.
I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, with riding season in full swing waiting until next year for another summer doesn't feel like something many are willing to do. Meanwhile i'll have to go test ride another bike :(

I just wished there were updates by Genuine
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Luckily, "riding season" around these parts is year round. :)
At least it is for me since if I need to go somewhere within the city, or an a joining city, 90% of the time I take my scooter. Parking and getting through traffic is soooo much easier. Really, the only time I use my car is to go to work since the freeway is the easiest way to get there.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

This is supposed to come to the USA, not sure when. Looks like it uses the same engine & they import from Shineray who makes the G400C engine, though this one is 445CC. Maybe a larger bore. Looks good I think but I like the Genuine G400C a little better. This is an Italian company that plans on setting up in California. http://www.swm-motorcycles.it/en/models ... ilano-440/
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

cabritozavala

Post by cabritozavala »

No dealers within a 20 mile radius of SF have heard of this bike, which concerns me. I think i will pull the trigger on a SR400 next week. Maybe i'll get a Genuine down the road.
Contacted Genuine and they also don't know when it will hit dealers, most likely end of fall :(.
Clydeo

SR400

Post by Clydeo »

Before you pull the trigger on the SR400, you really should check out the Suzuki tu250x. People who have owned both usually go back to the TUx. There really isn't much difference in usable power, the TUx is FAR more comfortable when two-up, and as much as I like kick starting a bike, that electric starter comes in really handy at times. Plus the TUx vibrates a lot less. The SR definitely has a lot more character, though! I have not ridden an SR400, but I have ridden SR500s in the past. Its a cool bike. But in my experience, the TUx is a better every day ride.
cabritozavala

Post by cabritozavala »

Yeah i fell in love with the suzuki tu250, then realized they don't sell it in California :(
There's actually some other bikes i was interested in but are 49 state bikes, sometimes it sucks to live in CA
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

We need to derail this thread into "what to buy instead of the G400", :lol:

.... like just buying a used Bonneville. You'll still be able to find parts for the Bonneville in 10 years.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

.... or like buying a used Suzuki S40. Lots of power. A classic thumper. Mechanically as simple as they come. And the price for a solid used one? Usually less than a used Vespa.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Waiting all summer for my g400c. :-(

Dealer told me MAYBE mid-August.

FWIW... It's not entirely Genuine fault. From what I hear, the EPA really screwed with Genuine and set them back because their Fuel Injection did not meet the requirements (the same modules were acceptable in Europe).

On the other hand, it's just piss poor promotion and follow through from Genuine. You don't promote the motorcycle until you are CERTAIN the bike will be ready to sell by a set date.

There still isn't a website up yet?!

Not too impressed with Genuine. I feel like I wasted my whole riding season by not going with another motorcycle when I was ready to buy in the spring.
Clydeo

Waiting

Post by Clydeo »

I still plan on taking a long hard look at the G400, if and when it gets here. But I don't mind the wait, I still have 8 more payments to make on the Suzuki. Love that 0% financing!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I'm sure the dealerships are frustrated too.

But a riding season is never wasted, if you have something to ride :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Yalzin wrote:.......a riding season is never wasted, if you have something to ride
And a big thumbs up to that! :wink:
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I hope the delays will not cause Genuine to miss the boat. Potential buyers may lose their patients and purchase one of the many "under 600cc" bikes that are currently available.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

RoaringTodd wrote:Waiting all summer for my g400c. :-(

Dealer told me MAYBE mid-August.

FWIW... It's not entirely Genuine fault. From what I hear, the EPA really screwed with Genuine and set them back because their Fuel Injection did not meet the requirements (the same modules were acceptable in Europe).

On the other hand, it's just piss poor promotion and follow through from Genuine. You don't promote the motorcycle until you are CERTAIN the bike will be ready to sell by a set date.

There still isn't a website up yet?!

Not too impressed with Genuine. I feel like I wasted my whole riding season by not going with another motorcycle when I was ready to buy in the spring.
If I was in your boat, I'd go get my deposit back. It's the same way Kymco lost my business by hyping up the K-Pipe, then only importing a few to start. I spent my money on other fun stuff instead.
cabritozavala

Post by cabritozavala »

You may have to wait longer than all summer, my local dealer said they got a call and it may be up to 2 years because of the VW emmission scandal.
I ended up buying a different bike last week though, this news make me feel less of a buyer's remorse lol.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

cabritozavala wrote:You may have to wait longer than all summer, my local dealer said they got a call and it may be up to 2 years because of the VW emmission scandal.
I ended up buying a different bike last week though, this news make me feel less of a buyer's remorse lol.
Did you end up getting the SR400? How do you like it?
cabritozavala

Post by cabritozavala »

I actually ended up getting a scrambler sixty2, and love it!! Not that retro but some parts available will give it that look down the road.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Scrambler 62?
cabritozavala

Post by cabritozavala »

Ducati scrambler 62
Definitely not in the same vintage category but still 400cc, nice step up from my sym wolf 150cc
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.85 KiB) Viewed 248095 times
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

NICE! out the door this is probably 9500? I love the looks.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

they are being delayed . they are going to go with a deferent fuel-injection system to make 50 state complaint
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I pinged Genuine about maybe getting access to one of these for a road trip and was told they're delayed until next year at the earliest. Alas!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

This bike is awesome! The 400-500cc standard motorcycle is definitely an undeserved market in the US.

Personally, I think the style, price, and size is spot on.

I had to give up riding my Blackjack last year due to recurring tendinitis. The scoot was far too small for me and I couldn't find a comfortable riding position.

I wanted a standard motorcycle around 400-500cc, lightweight, and comfortable. I ended up with a 1985 Honda CB450SC. It's very similar in specs to the G400C. Aside from fuel economy, I get a dismal 40 MPG ;)

While I'm thrilled with owning a vintage bike, it's certainly not for everyone. With an old machine, vigilant maintenance and tolerance of unreliability are necessary.

I think the G400C will be a hot seller for Genuine.
Attachments
moto.jpg
moto.jpg (171.12 KiB) Viewed 248017 times
Knows just enough to be dangerous
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Nice bike, now ditch the milk crate...

Try a tank bag, maybe some saddlebags...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

cabritozavala wrote:You may have to wait longer than all summer, my local dealer said they got a call and it may be up to 2 years because of the VW emmission scandal.
teamhurst wrote:They are being delayed . They are going to go with a different fuel-injection system to make 50 state complaint
A silly explanation from a dealer who pulled some nonsense out of the air, and an explanation that likely comes close to the truth. Don't know why Genuine has gotten ahead of itself more than once on importing products that can not pass US emissions testing without modifications. I'd have thought they would have learned their lesson after the Stella 4T fiasco. Guess not.
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

Moyesdriver wrote:Nice bike, now ditch the milk crate...

No way! I love my crate. Super convenient for storing my stuff as I ride around town. If I remember the cargo net for top, I don't even lose anything.

I am planning on adding saddlebags some time in the future.
Camperdog

Post by Camperdog »

Roofaloof wrote:
Moyesdriver wrote:Nice bike, now ditch the milk crate...

No way! I love my crate. Super convenient for storing my stuff as I ride around town. If I remember the cargo net for top, I don't even lose anything.

I am planning on adding saddlebags some time in the future.
Mentioned to the wife that I wanted a milk crate on my first scooter, she said it reminded her of a homeless man... Guess what I don't have a mile crate.
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

Mentioned to the wife that I wanted a milk crate on my first scooter, she said it reminded her of a homeless man... Guess what I don't have a mile crate.
Lol! My wife often compares me to a homeless man... She's just learned to live with it ;)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

RoaringTodd wrote:NICE! out the door this is probably 9500? I love the looks.
That was the showstopper for me. They're the same frame as the proper Scramblers, but only like $800 less OTD. So, I'm basically getting LESS engine for almost the same price....

Oh well. Back on track, I do want to see the gc400 in the flesh!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

cabritozavala wrote:I actually ended up getting a scrambler sixty2, and love it!! Not that retro but some parts available will give it that look down the road.
Whoa! That's a looong way from a SR400! Italian iron with desmodromically activated valves and everything. I bet that is a lot of fun to ride. How are you liking it? :mrgreen: <- that is me. I am green with envy.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
cabritozavala wrote:I actually ended up getting a scrambler sixty2, and love it!! Not that retro but some parts available will give it that look down the road.
Whoa! That's a looong way from a SR400! Italian iron with desmodromically activated valves and everything. I bet that is a lot of fun to ride. How are you liking it? :mrgreen: <- that is me. I am green with envy.
jrsjr wins Word of the day! Apparently I need to read more. :oops:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
jrsjr wins Word of the day! Apparently I need to read more. :oops:
I probably misused that adjective form. "Desmodromic" is already an adjective, so I should have just said desmodromic actuated valves and left it at that. Desmo valve systems don't have valve springs. A cam pushes the valve open and a cam pushes the valve closed. This system was invented to eliminate the dreaded "valve float" at high RPM where the spring can't return the valve quickly enough before the next combustion stroke which results in a loss of compression (power). The desmo system eliminates that problem but adds cost and complexity. (See below)

Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

We will give you bonus points either way. And, great diagram, thanks.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Though it looks complicated, I have heard that adjusting the desmodromic valves isn't that difficult if you have the right tool. I'd probably finish a few bottles of chianti before getting it right.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Ducati dealers charge an arm and a leg to adjust those valves though.

Hell, they charge an arm and a leg to do anything.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"Ducati dealers charge an arm and a leg to adjust those valves though. "
True, but the valve change intervals are much longer than 5 years ago. That is what makes buying a new Scrambler a good deal compared to a used Monster.
boyjeenyus

Post by boyjeenyus »

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm on a 73 Honda CL350, that i really enjoy, but everything about the specs on the G400C look great to me. I love that classic standard styling, as well as the suspension, brakes, fuel injection, etc... Should be a hoot! It'll be great to not have to spend 1/2 my time riding, and the other 1/2 tinkering to be on a bike like this. I hope that they do eventually get it released!
Stephen
[quote="Roofaloof"]This bike is awesome! The 400-500cc standard motorcycle is definitely an undeserved market in the US.

Personally, I think the style, price, and size is spot on.

I had to give up riding my Blackjack last year due to recurring tendinitis. The scoot was far too small for me and I couldn't find a comfortable riding position.

I wanted a standard motorcycle around 400-500cc, lightweight, and comfortable. I ended up with a 1985 Honda CB450SC. It's very similar in specs to the G400C. Aside from fuel economy, I get a dismal 40 MPG ;)

While I'm thrilled with owning a vintage bike, it's certainly not for everyone. With an old machine, vigilant maintenance and tolerance of unreliability are necessary.

I think the G400C will be a hot seller for Genuine.[/quote]
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Here's something interesting I just found on Craigslist:

Engine is a single cylinder 250cc, front/rear disc brakes, alloy swing arm and rims, and about US$3000. Hmm, that's how much I paid for my brand new Suzuki GS750 sportbike from the dealer....in 1984, lol. Anyway, don't know if this thing is any good, but not a bad price for what it is. Maybe I'll go check it out...for educational purposes, you understand.:) Might be a fun bike to buzz around the city with. More pictures and info here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcd/5769029144.html
tiii

Post by tiii »

I didnt know they made a small displacement scrambler.

Pity the G400C is still not released.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"it may be up to 2 years because of the VW emmission scandal"
Somebody on ADVrider posted a link to an article talking about how difficult it will be for a sizeable thumper singles to meet emissions standards in the coming years. Something to do with cylinder deformation in long stroke engines.
Genuine may decide that a thumper engine may not meet emissions standards long term, rendering it not economically viable.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

wheelbender6 wrote:"it may be up to 2 years because of the VW emmission scandal"
Somebody on ADVrider posted a link to an article talking about how difficult it will be for a sizeable thumper singles to meet emissions standards in the coming years. Something to do with cylinder deformation in long stroke engines.
Genuine may decide that a thumper engine may not meet emissions standards long term, rendering it not economically viable.
I do have a feeling they are cutting their losses. I'm sure they are still reeling from the Stella Auto fallout, so a Chinese motorcycle marketed to hipsters that don't have two pennies to rub together may not be the best idea.

Didn't they have a website up? It's blank now.
tiii

Post by tiii »

Maybe in other parts of the country. Over here in SF, techy / hipster income levels are easily in the 6 figure ranges.
boyjeenyus

Maybe early 2017

Post by boyjeenyus »

I messaged Genuine through Facebook to ask about the G400C, and they replied quickly that they're working on getting it 50 state emissions compliant. They were hopeful that they should be ready to go soon, with bikes available as soon as the first quarter of 2017. I'd guess that they were being optimistic, but it didn't sound as though they had scrapped the project. I'd LOVE a bike like this to replace my 73 CL350. The idea of not having to spend as much time working on it as I do riding it sounds too good to be true :)
Stephen
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

If that was the case, they'd be shipping already. There isn't a warehouse full of G400's sitting in Chicago waiting to go, they'll have to be built and shipped from China first.
boyjeenyus

Post by boyjeenyus »

I don't know anything about that. Just reporting what they told me.
S
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Any new news on this beast yet? Or is it still just vaporware?
I was picturing high scrambler pipes, a raised front fender, and semi-knobby tires would make this thing really interesting.