Whiskered Spark Plug Caused Bogging Issue

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

R50Rider

Whiskered Spark Plug Caused Bogging Issue

Post by R50Rider »

My RH started bogging the last few days and at first I thought it was an ethanol phasing problem or somehow water got into an electrical part because I've had to ride it in the rain a few times recently. I use Star Tron fuel additive regularly so it was hard to believe it was an ethanol thing. . .although anything is possible. I grabbed the spark plug wrench that comes with the scooter (stowed under the seat) and tried it out for the first time. It does the job. When I pulled the plug I could clearly see there was a piece of crap stuck between the electrodes and it was actually almost welded in there. It didn't want to release so since it was the original plug and had over 4k miles on it I just replaced it with a new one I had on hand. Wow. . .what a difference. It runs like new again. I had 2-stroke bikes back in the '70s and it was common to get a "whiskered plug" on those things too.
KooK

Post by KooK »

My Rh did the same with a low fuel tank. Plug was mucked up. Replaced and all was right. But use better oil, I have not had any issues yet when using good 2t oil. It really makes a difference. I use sea foam every few tanks,. And for water control, it will sound strange, bit I own a VW TDI(diesel). And I use the green diesel clean every few tanks too. It is a great solvent and helps remove water. Never had an issue yet.
Last edited by KooK on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I've had good luck with Amsoil Dominator Synthetic 2-stroke oil.
Attachments
Dominator.jpg
Dominator.jpg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Yeah, plugs are disposable things on small hard-running two-strokes. You guys are on the right track running good oil. I bored dirt bikes cylinders for many years as part of my job. The quality of oil made a huge difference. The Spectro does really well for me.
Attachments
spectro.jpg
spectro.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?