125 or 170i?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thenikkiroom

125 or 170i?

Post by thenikkiroom »

I'm looking to get my first buddy in the Spring and I'm torn between the 125 or 170i. What's everyone's preference? Pros and cons for each model?

I live in San Francisco and it's quite the struggle for my 50cc 2002 Honda Metro to make it up the hills. My scooter is my daily commuter (12 miles roundtrip to work). I carry groceries weekly on it. I haven't nor do I expect to bring a passenger with me or get on the freeway.

Thanks in advance for helping me choose!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I have the 170i in my hilly North Bay Area riding and very happy.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
paracer

Post by paracer »

You'll be quite happy either way.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Cant go wrong with either one. 170 has a bit more power for hills, and EFI. The 125 is a tad lighter and very simple/proven. I have a 125 and am more than happy with it.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I struggled deciding back in 2013 which would be better, 125 carb'd or 170 fuel injected.

The 125 has a kick starter, and can be started with a dead battery, the 170 cannot be started without the electric start.

Since I use my scooter as a daily driver, I felt that this was important. I have used my kick start a couple of times in the past 3 years.

The 170 seems to have more noticed vibration traveling through the scooter when riding, however the 125 seems to work harder when climbing hills.

If you ride double often, or if you ride near the top speeds often, you might prefer the 170 fuel injected.

I've ridden up hills into the wind on the 125 with good power, but I'm 155 pounds. If you're like two of me then you'll prefer the added power [from the 170].

If you're going with a new one then color should definitely be a factor as colors are unique to the 125 or the 170.

I opted for the 125, and I'd likely get the 125 again.
Last edited by iamryan25 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The red ones are faster.
thenikkiroom

Post by thenikkiroom »

iamryan25 wrote:I struggled deciding back in 2013 which would be better, 125 carb'd or 170 fuel injected.

The 125 has a kick starter, and can be started with a dead battery, the 170 cannot be started without the electric start.

Since I use my scooter as a daily driver, I felt that this was important. I have used my kick start a couple of times in the past 3 years.

The 170 seems to have more noticed vibration traveling through the scooter when riding, however the 125 seems to work harder when climbing hills.

If you ride double often, or if you ride near the top speeds often, you might prefer the 170 fuel injected.

I've ridden up hills into the wind on the 125 with good power, but I'm 155 pounds. If you're like two of me then you'll prefer the added power.

If you're going with a new one then color should definitely be a factor as colors are unique to the 125 or the 170.

I opted for the 125, and I'd likely get the 125 again.
Thank you iamryan25! Color has also been a factor for me. I'm not feeling he pastel colors that are currently available in the 125. But it sounds like majority prefer the 125 based on performance. The debate continues...
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I have owned both for over 5,000 miles. I think the 125 is the better scooter. It was smoother off the line and seemed to rattle less. Never had a problem with the 125 overheating, but had the 170i go into limp mode a couple of times due to running too hard. The 125 is built like a tank, and it is very easy to work on. I paid $600 more for the 170i than the 125. I don't think it was worth it.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I love my 170. Fuel injection is the best, at least for me. I only have about 1200 miles of perfect service from my Buddy, never been in "limp mode". I never rode a 125 so I can't really compare them but I would buy another 170 if I needed to replace my scoot.

Billy
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I own both models. Both are excellent scooters. You can't go wrong picking either bike. The one big positive that the 125 has that the 170 does not, is the kickstarter. If the battery dies on your 170 and you're not in a place where you can get a jump, you're pretty much screwed. Other than that, both are equally solid choices.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good point on the kickstarter. I have not needed to use mine often in 10 years (shorted out top case light shorted out battery, left ignition on, old battery dies, etc, etc.) but when I needed it it was really great to be able to start the scooter.

Also...the 125 motor is freaking bullet proof. They have had the snot ridden out of them, tens of thousands of miles on many Buddys.

The best of both worlds? Get a used 125, go over it, ride it, then go simple BBK to 161. Air box mod ,161 kit, up-sized carb, NCY or Prima Pipe, (I like the NCY). Don't bother with the big head, put the coin into the carb.

A kitted 125 is one of the most fun scooters to ride! I like the 170, but the torque on a 161 blows it away!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Recently, I've considered a new scooter...

My current decision is between the Buddy Kick 125 EFI because it has a rear disc brake and it is a 125 with EFI, so it would get superb gas mileage.

Not to mention the cup holder is better, the seat is flatter (and grippy), passenger footrests fold out, and windshield mounts independently from mirrors (big bonus).

Also, it is closer to the ground...

Or a Rough House, Rattler, or Black Cat would totally suffice. I just can't seem to not want one of those little 2 strokes with balloon tires for doing fun stuff I wouldn't want to do on my Buddy.

Let us know what you chose!
The red ones are faster.
skipper20

Re: 125 or 170i?

Post by skipper20 »

thenikkiroom wrote:I'm looking to get my first buddy in the Spring and I'm torn between the 125 or 170i. What's everyone's preference? Pros and cons for each model?

I live in San Francisco and it's quite the struggle for my 50cc 2002 Honda Metro to make it up the hills. My scooter is my daily commuter (12 miles roundtrip to work). I carry groceries weekly on it. I haven't nor do I expect to bring a passenger with me or get on the freeway.

Thanks in advance for helping me choose!
You can't go wrong with either one. The 125/150 Buddy scoots have kick start which can be an advantage if your battery dies in the wrong place. The 170i has fuel injection so you don't have to worry about carb problems. If price is an issue, I'd go with a 125 or 150 as they usually sell for a bit less. And, you'll be riding every day so that will help keep the carb nice and clean. Above all, ride safe and if you haven't already done so, take the MSF course. It's the best investment you'll ever make.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
jd

Post by jd »

Good comments here, especially about not being able to go wrong with either bike.

Personally, I prefer the 125 for two reasons: (1) The kick start (which I have needed) and (2) the added performance of the 170 doesn't justify the price differential. The 170 may be a "better" bike, but it's not 22% better. That $600 (plus tax) can buy a lot of accessories and safety equipment, much of which will reward you more frequently than the extra displacement.

One more thing: I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Buddy in good condition. Used 125's are a lot easier to find.

BTW, I live in hilly Northern Kentucky and the 125 does just fine schlepping my 165 lbs. around. If I were 200 lbs, then maybe I'd get enough benefit from the 170 to take it more seriously. Let your weight be your guide! :lol:
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Doesn't San Fran have bad roads? Take a look at the Kymco Compagno. It's the best of both worlds and has much better suspension and fuel injection. No rear rack, though.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Or get the best of both worlds: buy the 125 and change the top end over to 171 cc. :twisted:
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I don't get to ride that often any more so I prefer the kick start on the Buddy 125cc. Just my 2 cents.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I'm puzzled about something.
-The modern Yamaha SR400 thumper is fuel injected, and is kick start only. There is no electric starter available for the SR400.
-Therefore, it seems like Genuine should be able to install a kick starter on the 170i.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

A kick start would work on a fuel injected Buddy IF the battery was strong enough to build up the required fuel pressure to operate.

Billy
Mikestib1

Get the 170

Post by Mikestib1 »

All carbureted scooters have starting problems if they sit long due to ethanol in our gas. Fuel injected bikes don't have this issue. As far as a kickstarer on the 170, if your battery was low it would not start with a kickstarer as the fuel pump and CPU need 12.6 volts for the engine to start.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
iamryan25

Re: Get the 170

Post by iamryan25 »

Mikestib1 wrote:All carbureted scooters have starting problems if they sit long due to ethanol in our gas. Fuel injected bikes don't have this issue.
Fuel injection can be effected as well, it is just less sensitive.

For what it is worth, I have never used Stabil in the Buddy 125 and it continues to be "forgiving" even with ethanol in the fuel and a couple of months of storage in the cold.

Also, servicing the carb should be "easier" to do yourself if work is needed.
The red ones are faster.