15,000 mile report with issues and fixes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamryan25

15,000 mile report with issues and fixes

Post by iamryan25 »

exmayor sent me a private message asking me about issues I've had and I figured that I might as well give everyone a 15k mile issue report.

I purchased a 2013 Genuine Buddy 125 new in 2013, and here is the history of issues and how they were corrected.

[Issue #1 - Sticky kill switch]
From the beginning, I experienced my first issue with my kill switch. It has been hard to disengage the engine shut off switch since the scooter was new. The kill switch toggles fine, and turns the engine off fine, but is difficult to disengage. I have to press it into the run position extra hard to allow the electric start to work correctly. The local genuine dealer experienced this issue with several of the other Buddy scooters that were sold around the same time period. This would have been covered under warranty. I still have the original switch, and the scooter runs properly.
[Solution: Press harder or replace]

[Issue #2 - Won't start/weak spark]
At 10,000 miles/2 years old, I experienced an issue with my NCY Performance CDI. The CDI was not a factory installed part. I installed the aftermarket CDI at around 5,000 miles. The NCY CDI produced a weak spark and scooter wouldn't start. I put the original CDI back into the scooter. The issue went away.
[Solution: Use OEM CDI]

[Issue #3 - Cuts out while riding, backfiring]
At around 12,500 miles/2.5 years old, I began experiencing a dies while riding condition. The scooter would start back up again, and then die when riding between 35-40mph. Checking the spark plug revealed the scooter was running extremely lean - too much air. This was caused by a faulty emissions canister. The canister that failed was connected to the air intake on one side and the fuel tank on the other. This canister was obviously allowing too much air through and had stopped working correctly. The canister was removed and the issue went away. The plug reads normal and cutting out while riding condition stopped.
[Solution: Remove defective emissions canister]

[Issue #4 - Electric start won't start scooter, kick start will]
At around 13,000 miles/3 years old, The electric start would not start the scooter. The OEM battery was too weak and needed to be replaced. At this time, I blamed myself for having never used a battery tender during the winter months that I was unable to ride. The battery continued to start the scooter in the spring, even though it was not connected to a maintainer for the months it was sitting it had never fully died in the winter.
[Solution: Replaced battery]

[Issue #5 - Headlight brightness fluctuates, regardless of change in RPM]
After battery replacement [electric start performed correctly, but] I noticed my headlight brightness was fluctuating more than normal, and was getting extra bright and then going back to normal. I found this to be a symptom of an issue with my Regulator/Rectifier.

I expect that the Regulator/Rectifier may have been failing beforehand as I thought the fluctuation was normal for quite some time. The failing Regulator/Rectifier may have also weakened the OEM battery and caused it to die faster than normal.

Too many volts were measured at the battery when checking the charging system with a volt meter. I replaced the Regulator/Rectifier and the headlight issue went away.
[Solution: Replace Regulator/Rectifier]

Maintenance was performed as follows: During routine maintenance, the oil, gear oil, and oil filter were replaced on every oil change beginning at 300 miles, then 1k miles, and every 1k miles there after. The air filter has been replaced at 3k, 6k, 10k, 12.5k, and 15k miles. Roller or slider weights at 4k, 8k, 12k miles, and the belt at 10k miles. I replaced the factory shock at 10k miles with the Forza shock for the Buddy 170i - noticed improvement. I've replaced the tires as needed. So far, the factory rear tire was the one I've been able to ride on the most (up to 5k miles). I've experienced 2 flat tires caused by nails which called for tire replacement. I replaced the brake shoes at 5k miles, but probably didn't really need to. I'm still using the original headlight bulb. I've used mostly Shell and Chevron gas (10% ethanol) and ethanol free as much as possible when it's nearby. I did not use any fuel stabilizers or additives, and never had trouble with starting in the Spring after 1-2 months of winter storage. I've done all of the work myself.

This scooter will turn 4 years old soon and is approaching 16,000 miles. This scooter performs flawlessly at this time.
The red ones are faster.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Shows the build quality Genuine Buddys. Great part is you're not even near the scooter's half life.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

DeeDee wrote:Shows the build quality Genuine Buddys. Great part is you're not even near the scooter's half life.
You're absolutely correct. I expect at least 30k miles out of it. Honestly, very little goes wrong with these. I was surprised to even have the issues I did have, most others get by with only routine maintenance.
The red ones are faster.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My old Buddy 125 (07 or 09-I forgot) has over 35,000 miles on it last I looked and its still running good. Keep in mind the motor was replaced at 10,000, so the mechanical side of it is at 25,000. Now my current Buddy 125 has just hit 11,000. I gets super loved, lives indoors and babied. Have never had anything fail on it except that it needs a carb overhaul. Typical rubber diaphragm failing. It goes in the shop this Saturday. Then I get to overhaul my 2014 Burgman 200 transmission. Doing that repair myself. The Genuine product is built better than the Suzuki product, that is a fact from a owner of both.