Going Retro!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Going Retro!

Post by BuddyRaton »

Yeah....expanding my horizons as a Scooter Whisper. I am into vintage Vespas, Lambrettas, Modern TNG 06 Buddy 125 (kitted to 161) and a 2013 Blur. I also swim in the Maxi Scooter pool with a BMW 650GT as my commuter.

Yeah...I get crap from someone no matter what I ride. "You should get a Harley" "Your 2T blows too much blue smoke" "A 650 isn't a real scooter"

You know what...I also get to hang with all groups! I can hang vintage, talk wrench and ride modern small scooters and also ride with the BMW club...they are really into safety and good fast rides with experienced riders.

So I am dipping my toe into another scooter area...RETRO BABY! I don"t know what it;s really called but I picked up a 1990 Yamaha Riva 200Z! I have loved the looks of these since they were new and it was one of the first scooters I wanted but could not afford back then.

It is a blast! A one day early birthday present to me!
Attachments
Riva 2 Comp.jpg
Riva 2 Comp.jpg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Riva 1 Comp.jpg
Riva 1 Comp.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Welcome to the madness! Parts can be harder to find, but the big Rivas are hella cushy for cruising.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I picked a 1989 up at the end of summer. I think it is what a scooter would look like if Delorean Motor Motor Company tried to build a Lambretta knock off.
I need the right front linkage cover if you happen to have an extra.
Attachments
1989 Yamaha Riva
1989 Yamaha Riva
riva.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I've always liked the look of those Riva 200's and keep a semi-eye out for a good one for a fair price. Semi-eye because the Buddy would have to go (space limitations) and I still like the Buddy more than a Riva. Based on the pics I would assume they are in nice condition overall. Great scores for both of you!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:Welcome to the madness! Parts can be harder to find, but the big Rivas are hella cushy for cruising.
It's a sweet ride! I have sourced a replacement exhaust and good seat cover. Suspension may need some replacements.

Yeah...I know that some parts can be scarce... but I have a 64 GS MKII, 68 Super Sport and a 65 TV175 S3 so I have been through the parts hunt game before. Sometimes it's part of the fun.

This may get turned into a cannonball bike if I don't go vintage again!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

What are you using for a replacement belt? The OEM Yamaha belt no longer exists.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:
az_slynch wrote:Welcome to the madness! Parts can be harder to find, but the big Rivas are hella cushy for cruising.
It's a sweet ride! I have sourced a replacement exhaust and good seat cover. Suspension may need some replacements.

Yeah...I know that some parts can be scarce... but I have a 64 GS MKII, 68 Super Sport and a 65 TV175 S3 so I have been through the parts hunt game before. Sometimes it's part of the fun.

This may get turned into a cannonball bike if I don't go vintage again!
I think I still have your address around. I have an OE Riva 200 exhaust gasket here that I'll send over.

Turns out that the exhaust on the 180 has a much smaller port. Wound up using a 32mm GY6 50cc gasket as a replacement last time.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

DeeDee wrote:What are you using for a replacement belt? The OEM Yamaha belt no longer exists.
I have an OE Riva 180 belt for my '83 180; hadn't installed it as the original only had about 8500 miles on it and the scoot could still hit 70mph.

I know someone on RivaRiders was working on getting dimensions to find a decent replacement; I should probably measure what I have and we'll see whats out there.

Mine's been parked up since late December 2013 for a CVT and final drive rebuild. Took a long time to find all the essential bits. Stil missing one OE oil seal, but I think I'll just tear it down and measure the old one. Stock rollers are not cheap. I think buying a 9-roller Polini Evolution set is a more reasonable alternative.

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Cool scooter. I thought about getting one in hopes of finding a Julia Roberts type girl too...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Great find. I love the rare sound of a 2 stroke zooming down the road.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Congrats BR. I enjoyed every minute with my Honda Elite 150. There's nothing like smoking other scooterists on a 31 year old scooter. The faces they make when you just take off from stop lights, and tell them you rode 1,400 miles the last 3 days on this scooter is priceless!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:I thought about getting one in hopes of finding a Julia Roberts type girl too...
The photo in the OPs post didn't look like Julia Roberts. :?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Love the duck...
Dune56

Nice

Post by Dune56 »

Nice buy! I have always been fond of vintage bikes.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Dooglas wrote:
babblefish wrote:I thought about getting one in hopes of finding a Julia Roberts type girl too...
The photo in the OPs post didn't look like Julia Roberts. :?
Guess you didn't see the movie, "Larry Crowne"....
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:Guess you didn't see the movie, "Larry Crowne"....
Actually, I presumed the photo in the original post was a selfie.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Not a selfie but it's me! I figure I'm more like Larry...just better looking! :)
www.teamscootertrash.com

Dune56

Nice

Post by Dune56 »

sc00ter wrote:I've always liked the look of those Riva 200's and keep a semi-eye out for a good one for a fair price. Semi-eye because the Buddy would have to go (space limitations) and I still like the Buddy more than a Riva. Based on the pics I would assume they are in nice condition overall. Great scores for both of you!
Love the color!
luckyscroller788

Riva alert!

Post by luckyscroller788 »

heres a steal of a deal, specially if you need a few hard to find parts https://racine.craigslist.org/mcy/5982518309.html