New to forum with some questions

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Gadzeno

New to forum with some questions

Post by Gadzeno »

Hello Everyone, I'm on the fence between a ruck and a rh. I am looking at a 2015 RH with 700 miles for 1500 or this add from CL 2014 6000 miles for 825$$ Need some advice from someone who has bought a Genuine brand with a lot of miles or has one. Any help is appreciated..Glad to be here on this forum.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/5958934972.html
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

6,000 miles on a two-stroke is starting to get up there. if you can do the work yourself, a top end is fairly cheap. Still half of winter left. See if you can get the seller to come down on the 2015. I bought a 1.5 year old RH a couple of years ago with 125 miles on it for $1,000. It came with a new helmet, battery tender and riding jacket.
Gadzeno

Post by Gadzeno »

I feel the same about the 2014. The 2015 is at a dealer totally stock but with the side protective bars on it. A few scratches but still looks good. 1000 seems like an awesome deal. Maybe ill get lucky.
Thanks for the advice
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I've got a 2015 Roughhouse. Runs really good. I've put almost 5000 miles on it and it's starting to need some things done to it but nothing drastic. When it comes to 49cc scooters I would take a 2-stroke over a 4-stroke as far as get up and go is concerned. They also don't need any valve adjustments. Just be attentive to the gas and oil and other normal maintenance items. It would be to your advantage if you either live close enough to the scooter dealer to have them work on it for you when it needs servicing or to know how to do mechanical stuff yourself. When belts, rollers, tires, etc. . .need to be replaced it does involve effort and know-how. The 4-stroke scooters are good as well but they take longer to get up to speed. That being said their fuel economy may be slightly better. The Genuine Roughhouse is kind of like the older Yamaha Zuma 50's. The ones that everyone thought were fun. . .

The only issues I've had with mine so far are fuel related. I'm not sure if it's from bad gas I got somewhere or a stuck float in my carburetor. Nothing is perfect. Would I buy another one if I was in the market for a 49cc scooter again? Yes. . . :atgatt:
Gadzeno

Post by Gadzeno »

Good deal. My brother has a 2015 ruckus runs perfect, slow but relaible. I like the look of the RH better. I probably will only be putting on a couple hundred miles a year. This scoot will be my fishing buddy to take me to places i cant drive while down at the beach in RI. Do you guys think there is any advantage/disadvantage to 2t vs 4t since i will only be using it every other week or so? It may sit as long as a month between uses. Appreciate the advice
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Keep a good gas additive in the tank and start it between trips. I'll take a 4 stroke over a two stroke any day of the week. The 3 valve, water cooled fuel injected drivetrain in the new Zuma 50's came from the Yamaha C3. Those motors will last 40,000 + with proper maintenance, and the cvt and airbox can be tuned to keep up with any two stroke. The Roughhouse is a good scooter, but the top end will need to be rebuilt numerous times before the Zuma calls it a night.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Star Tron fuel additive (made by Start Brite). A must have if you are going to let it sit for prolonged periods of time. It counteracts the effects of ethanol in the gasoline. The fuel can absorb water from the air and it goes through what scientists call "phasing". Basically your gas deteriorates and can cause problems in your fuel system from your tank to your carburetor. You can get it at most retailers that sell boat and car stuff. . .Benny's too!

Sounds like the wear and tear on your parts will be minimal if you only plan to put a few hundred miles a year on it. I'd focus on keeping the fuel good. And make sure you top off your 2 stroke oil tank now and then as well. I use Amsoil Dominator Synthetic 2 Stroke Racing Oil and have had good results with it.

Other than that appropriate seasonal storage procedures advised by your dealer and manufacturer should be observed. :atgatt:
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I'll take a 4 stroke over a two stroke any day of the week. The 3 valve, water cooled fuel injected drivetrain in the new Zuma 50's came from the Yamaha C3. Those motors will last 40,000 + with proper maintenance,
I concur, the 4-stroke motors will outlast the 2-stroke motors as far as top end rebuilds. It's a matter of personal preference and how often the machine will be used over the amount of time you expect to own it. The Roughhouse does comply with the CARB ratings.

The 2-stroke will give you more power for a small engine but not necessarily more top end speed. The 4-stroke will take longer to get there but will last longer overall. A lot of scooters and smaller motorcycles used to be 2-strokes for a long time. But environmental concerns and more advanced engineering have caused the market to change in recent years so that most of the scooters and motorcycles you see now on showroom floors are 4 strokes. :atgatt:
chachamooby

used RH

Post by chachamooby »

I recently purchased a RH with 4800 miles on it. Ran wonderfully. I still decided to put a kit on it. I love it. I have put another 700 miles on it in the last 2 months without a hitch. Also changed the belt and weights--none of this is difficult if you take your time.
If money is an issue(like it sounds) get the cheaper one for 600 if it runs well and have a blast.
JMO
chacha
2002 Yamaha FZ-1
Baja Doodle bug :)
Gadzeno

Post by Gadzeno »

Well I ended up buying the 2015 RH. 650 miles and I got the dealer down to 1400 out the door. Thanks for all the input
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

That's a good buy. You saved $1,000 over new, and it's not even broken in yet.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Totally have good luck with that. . .

I rode mine today. . .cold but doable.